Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe: LOOKING for: beet soup

Posted by linda_6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 14:26

I remember my grandmother making beet soup (borscht?) when I was younger back in the early 70's. All I remember was she had a large pot of water which had beef bones cooking. Then she had another pot of beets cooking. She sliced these by hand and threw them into the pot and added sour cream. Would anyone have this old recipe? She didn't have anything else in the pot except the beef, beets and sour cram. Thank you
Linda from PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe: LOOKING for: beet soup

I have a recipe for a Ukranian borscht.....very like what you say....but it begins days ahead by making a fermented kvass.
Other than that it's pretty well beef broth and beets.

o

linda 6, my Hungarian Grandmother and my mom made the best beet soup. I don't have a recipe as everything was done from taste. I made it quite a few times, but haven't done so in a few years, so I am going by memory here!

Cook 2-3 pork hocks in a soup pot filled with water and season with salt & pepper, bay leaves and some onion. Simmer slowly for about an hour or until pork hock meat is tender. Remove hocks and add sliced beets and potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, season with salt & pepper and cook until vegies are tender. Make a batch of egg dumplings in another pot and add to the soup. Chop up the pork hock meat and add to the soup pot. Add a tablespoon or more of vinegar and sugar, temper about a cup of sour cream with the hot soup and add to the pot. If the soup is not thick enough for your taste, make a roux with flour and oil and add to the soup until a disired thickness.

o

Thank you all for your comments. I think one day I'm going to try this by taste. Hope it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here