Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

RECIPE: Seeking Recipe for Hearty Veggie soup with Stew Meat

rjinga
16 years ago

I have about every kind of veggie, and picked up some nice looking stew meat...I also have home grown tomatoes, peppers and herbs to add.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

You could easily use browned stew meat instead of ground beef in this:
    AUTUMN SOUP (12 cups)
    1 lb lean ground beef, browned
    28 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 cup finely chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup finely chopped carrots
    1 cup cubed raw potatoes
    2 cups water
    1 1/2 cups spicy vegetable juice (V-8 or Spicey Tom)
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 TBL pepper
    1 TBL browning sauce (I use a splash of Worcestershire)
    1/2 tsp basil
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 to 1/2 cup dry barley

Combine all ingredients in a very large pot or crockpot. Let simmer about 1 1/2 hours on top of stove or all day in a crockpot on low. Add additional water if soup becomes too thick.~~Fare to Remember
    NOTE: Tastes better reheated & freezes well.

• woodie
    16 years ago

I haven't tried this yet, but it got 5 stars on her website and I just copied and saved this today.

Lentil Soup with Beef
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 large celery stalks, chopped
    2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    6 (14-ounce) cans beef broth
    1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
    2 cups (about 11 ounces) lentils, rinsed
    1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

Heat the oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add half of the beef and cook until brown, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining beef. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, rosemary, and oregano to the pot. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Return the beef and any accumulated juices from the bowl to the pot. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add the lentils. Cover and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

• becky_ca
    16 years ago

How about minestrone?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Minestrone Soup

Recipe By :Becky Chatham
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Crock Pot Soups
    Tested and Approved

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound beef shank or stew meat
    6 cups beef broth
    1 onion -- chopped
    2 carrot -- sliced
    2 celery stalk -- sliced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon thyme
    2 tablespoons minced parsley
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    16 ounces diced tomato -- undrained
    1 zucchini -- thinly sliced
    16 ounces garbanzo beans -- rinsed and drained
    16 ounces kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
    2 cups chopped cabbage
    1 cup elbow macaroni -- uncooked
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In slow-cooking pot, combine beef with broth, onion, carrots, celery, salt, thyme, parsley, pepper and tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Remove beef from bones; cut up meat and return to pot. Turn control to high. Add zucchini, beans, cabbage, and macaroni. Cover and cook on high for 30 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• lisbet
    16 years ago

Here is my family's favorite...I have used it again and again through the years. "Makes 8 Main Dish Servings"
    Source: "From Ladies Home Journal, March, l977"
    Yield: "12 cups"

Basic Vegetable Soup:
    2 or 3 pounds Soup Meat and Bones, Beef Shank w/bone
    Veal Knuckle (have butcher crack)
    for a rich brown broth; brown meat and bones in a
    350° oven.
    3 quarts water (can use vegetable liquor)
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
    1 or 2 large onions, chopped
    1 cup green peas
    1 cup diced potatoes
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup sliced celery
    1 cup baby lima beans
    1 cup cut green beans
    1/2 cup uncooked medium barley
    2 tablespoons choped parsley
    1/4 teaspoon crushed thyme
    1/4 teaspoon sugar

In a large stock pot, place meat, bones, water, crushed thyme (also 8 to 10 pepper corns). Heat to boiling. Simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is tender.

Remove meat and bones. Cut up meat and reserve. Strain broth and skim off fat. Add cut up meat. Add barley, parsley, and simmer for 1/2 hour. Then add vegetables in order required for doneness, peas last....over a period of another 1/2 hour. Take care that vegetables do not become mushy.

At this point adjust seasoning...salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon Aromatic Bitters (optional) just before serving.

My Own Note: Any addition or substitution can be made; pasta, lentils, rice, corn, broccoli, etc. Double recipe for freezer.
    I am always looking for marrow bones to make Marrow Dumplings to be added to this soup.

• lindac
    16 years ago

I can't imagine using a "recipe" for a hearty vegetable soup..
    Suppose after you have measured a cup of sliced celery you still have 1/2 a stalk left? Do you toss it out?
    I like the recipes that call for 2 carrots and one onion...but maybe the carrots are very large? Or small? In the grand scheme...it really doesn't matter!
    I would brown the meat in a little bit of oil or bacon fat. Brown it in your stock pot and while it's browning chop a big onion or a couple of small ones and 3 or 4 cloves of garlic and a bell pepper....red, green or yellow, doesn't really matter.
    Add the veggies to the meat, stir to coat with fat and meat juice and add some ( about a cup) of red wine.
    Then add a quart of beef broth and a quart of water.....bring to a simmer and start adding veggies....
    Add what you have....zucchini, carrots, cabbage, peas, lima beans, green beans parsnips, celery corn...tomatoes....lots of tomatoes....whatever...
    Avoid winter squash, I don't like a lot of broccoli or cauliflower, some okra is good.
    And start adding herbs... a small handful of basil, also of parsley....some oregano...perhaps a little tarragon, thyme, jusat a little rosemary...

Cover and let it simmer for about an hour....taste....does it need salt? Pepper? maybe the tang of a little bit of red wine vinegar.
    Don't make it hard....just add what you have. You could also add lentils, or beans, or barley or rice....
    make it your own.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Because recipes are guidelines, Linda & this is the RECIPE exchange. Anyone knows soup recipes aren't written in stone.