Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
folkvictorian

LOOKING for: Tomato sauce from grape and Roma tomatoes?

folkvictorian
14 years ago

Would it be possible to make tomato sauce from my tiny grape tomatoes and my Romas? I've got zillions of each. But, in order to make sauce, I'd want to begin with peeled tomatoes, right? Since that isn't possible with the grape tomatoes, does anyone have any ideas for a novice like me? Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

You could puree the grape tomatoes in a blender or processor. You could also cut the Romas in half & roast them, sprinkled with a bit of olive oil & mix those with the pureed grape tomatoes & proceed with making your regular tomato sauce. Roasting the Romas adds good flavor.

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, Ginger! Could you tell me exactly how to roast the Romas? Do I prepare them and put them on a cookie sheet (baking stone?) and put them in the oven? If so, what temp and for how long?

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

I do it at 400° for about 15-20 minutes but I put them on parchment paper or foil. Sprinkle olive oil on them & some salt & pepper.

• gourd_friends
    14 years ago

There are juice strainers that will remove the skins and seeds from cooked tomatoes, making wonderful juice. I have a Victorio strainer that does a great job. I know there are others, but don't know what they are called. I also had thousands of grape tomatoes, and put most of them in juice. I actually have two Victorios, and have been known to loan one of them now and then.

Jan

• lindac
    14 years ago

You can make a wonderful pasta sauce with romas and grape or cherry tomatoes.
    One was is to roast as Ginger says...but I cut the grape or cherry in half and the romas in quarters...
    Place on a baking sheet in one layer and top with very skinny slices of onion and some grated garlic....and sweet pepper strips if you like.
    Sprinkle all with Kosher salt and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
    I roast at 300 for well more than an hour...things shouldn't brown but become syrupy a bit caramelized.
    Rough chop and toss with cooked pasta and top with lots of fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Or you could do a more traditional sauce....I did a huge pot last week.
    I sauteed an onion and a sweet green pepper in a couple of tablespoons of EVOO. added 4 or 5 bug cloves of grated fresh garlic....and while that was sauteeing I started blanching and peeling the romas. I cut them in half and tossed them in the pot and cut the little tomatoes in half and just cooked a bit..
    Cooked some pasta and put it all into a pasta bowl, topped with fresh grated parm and sopped up the juice with some home made bread.
    If I had cooked it longer, it would have thickened up....but I just cooked about 30 minutes total including the sautee time of the onions.
    Oh and lots of fresh cut basil and parsley on top! and invited the neighbors in!
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted cherry tomatos and pasta

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy oh boy does my kitchen smell GREAT! Thank you everyone for your help! A bunch of tomatoes are roasting right now and I'll start the pasta boiling soon.

Jan - I Googled your strainer and realized I could use my (very) old food mill to strain the skins and seeds when I make sauce. We use it about once a year when my mom visits and we pick apples and make applesauce.

Thank you ALL again for your generosity in sharing your ideas! I'll think of you at dinnertime!

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

You're most welcome!

• Yeng21
    13 years ago

Bring a pot of baptize to a boil. Have accessible a ample basin of algid water. Plunge accomplished tomatoes in baking baptize until derma starts to peel, pass4sure mb5-845 1 minute. Abolish with slotted beanery and abode in ice bath. Let blow until air-conditioned abundant to handle, pass4sure mb5-858 again abolish bark and clasp out seeds. Chop 8 tomatoes and borsch in blender or aliment processor. Chop actual two tomatoes and set aside.
    secondly In a ample pot or Dutch oven over average heat, baker onion, alarm pepper, pass4sure MB5-858 allotment and garlic in oil and adulate until onion starts to soften, 5 minutes. Pour in pureed tomatoes. Stir in chopped tomato, basil, Italian condiment and wine. Abode bay blade and accomplished celery stalks in pot. Bring to a boil, again abate malefaction to low, awning and simmer 2 hours. pass4sure mb6-817 Stir in amazon adhesive and simmer an added 2 hours. Discard bay blade and celery and serve.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living