Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franci37

LOOKING for: Apple Cider Donut Recipe?

franci37
16 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe for Apple Cider Donuts? I had tried these years ago and never got the recipe and have tried to figure it out myself but never perfected it. I haven't even seen these in any cookbooks. I know they are a cake donut, not the yeast kind, and they had a mild spice taste. I figured this is the best place to ask.

Comments (11)

• lindac
    16 years ago

There are quite a few out there, try googling "doughnuts" note the spelling.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: apple cider doughnuts

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Nonsense. "Cheddar" is only spelled one way but doughnuts can also be spelled the other way. If you have a good basic cake donut recipe, substitute the liquid with apple cider but you may need to up the amount of the spices you've tried already.

• franci37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you lindac. Wow! I should have tried google. I will be up all night looking through those "doughnut" recipes. There are probably even more under "donut" too.

ginger st thomas, thanks for your idea of substituting cider for the liquid. That was my first idea but didn't have any luck with that.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Ginger I found more listed under doughnut than donut....try it.
    Cider will have a different degree of acidity than milk and, of course less fat. And milk acts as a buffer for acidity, so I would watch your leavening. Depending on the recipe you may need to substitute some baking soda for the baking powder in your recipe.
    Linda C

• franci37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I now have all the apple cider doughnut recipes I'll ever need. Went to google and searched "Apple Cider Doughnuts". That was soooo easy. Thanks...My search is over!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

255,000 recipes under "apple cider donuts recipe" which also lists doughnuts on the same search.

• lindac
    16 years ago

My goodness! You have really done your home work haven't you.
    Good for you!!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

No, doing a simple search the way I originally did for this request brought it up. It's not a question of homework. I hardly think anyone needs more than 255,000 recipes.

• Bev Cashen
    16 years ago

APPLE CIDER DONUTS

3 Tbsp. sugar for preparing pans
    2 cups all-purpose white flour
    1 1/2 t. baking powder
    1 1/2 t. baking soda
    1/2 t. salt
    2 t. ground cinnamon
    1 large egg lightly beaten
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup apple butter
    1/3 cup pure maple syrup
    1/3 cup apple cider
    1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    3 T. vegetable oil,preferably canola oil

GLAZE
    1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1 t. pure vanilla
    1/4-1/3 cup pure maple syrup

DONUTS
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Coat molds of a mini-Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
    Sprinkle with sugar, shaking out excess.
    In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside.
    In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, apple butter, maple syrup, cider, yogurt and oil.
    Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
    Divide half the batter among the prepared molds, spooning about 2 generous tablespoonfuls of batter into each mold. BAKEfor 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly.
    Loosen edges and turn the cakes out onto a rack to cool. Clean the mini-Bundt pan, then re-coat it with oil and sugar.
    Repeat with the remaining batter.
    GLAZE
    In a bowl, combine confectioner's sugar and vanilla.
    Gradually whisk in enough maple syrup to make a coating consistency.
    Dip the shaped side (underside) of the "doughnuts" in the glaze to coat. Then set them, glazed-side up on a rack over wax paper for a few minutes until the glaze has set.

Good luck!

• franci37
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lizzynola for the recipe. This is a good one because you bake them instead of deep frying them. I already have the mini bundt pan. I'll try it.

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I just had these for the first time...we were apple picking in The Hamptons.....OH SO GOOD...the kids absolutely loved them,only problem with these is that you cant stop eating them!