Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Fabulous Tomato Pie

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 8, 09 at 13:25

For those who are getting tired of BLT's - this is a big hit in our family. My 14yo DS even heated up a leftover piece for breakfast yesterday, and normally he won't bother with anything that needs to be reheated :-)

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tandi's Tomato Pie

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 medium plum tomatoes
1 deep-dish pie shell -- (9-inch) baked
1 cup chopped white onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut 6 tomato slices for garnish; set aside. Halve remaining tomatoes, remove seeds, and cut each half into about 6 wedges. Place half the wedges in bottom of baked pie shell. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup onion, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon basil.
Stir mayonnaise, Parmesan, and Cheddar together in a small bowl, then spread half of mixture over onion layer. Repeat with remaining tomatoes, 1/2 cup onion, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon basil. Add remaining mayonnaise mixture.
Place reserved tomato slices in pinwheel design in pie center. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown. If piecrust starts overbrowning, cover edges with aluminum foil. Allow pie to cool 20 minutes before serving.

www.countryliving.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Made 9-6-09 Seeded and chopped tomatoes (reserving 6 slices for top garnish). Also microwaved the onion for a minute to soften it. Rather than layering in pie crust, I just mixed everything together and spread into shell, topping with reserved tomato slices.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Fabulous Tomato Pie

That looks good, Becky, and it has less mayo than similar recipes I have seen. One TB basil -- is that dried or fresh? That would be a lot if dried, don't you think?

Teresa

o
RE: RECIPE: Fabulous Tomato Pie--oops

Don't know what I was looking at, but you plainly state 2 TB chopped FRESH basil.....sorry.

Teresa

o

Well, it may have less mayo, but I think maybe it has more cheese... It reminds me a lot of a hot artichoke dip I make, and I think it would also make a good dip if it were just baked in a shallow dish without the crust.

I used fresh basil and Best Foods light mayonnaise.

Becky

o

Sounds great, Becky. Who could argue with a 14 y/o boy?

o

Ummmm....a hot tub full of stuff like the artichoke dip! I bet I'd have a lot of company. "Pass the toasted french bread, please?"

o

This is a favorite of ours but will try yours too.....sounds really good.
Tomatoes Oregano
2 lbs tomatoes, chunked up
3/4 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
Combine and bake at 350 covered for 20 minutes or til soft and bubbly
Top with:
1/2c bread crumbs
2 T butter, melted
1/4c Parmesan cheese
Combine and spread over tomatoes. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes til crumbs are brown.

I use English muffin crumbs and love them.

o

Roselin - thanks for sharing your recipe. We love baked tomatoes with bread crumbs and parmesan, so I've saved your recipe to try :-)

Becky

o

Becky, they are a favorite here....let me know how you like them.

o

Both of these recipes look like 'gotta try' since were getting tired of fresh sliced. They sound like really good alternatives. Thanks for posting them, Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here