Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

LOOKING for: Stovetop recipe using eggs

Hi,

The neighbors got chickens last year and now give me eggs by the dozen every once in awhile. I am getting a little tired of scrambled eggs and omlets but I dont want to turn on the stove to cook things like soufles. Its too hot outside for the stove to be on.

Is there anything besides omlets that i can make in a pan on the stovetop that uses lots of eggs?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• mggs111
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you have space in your freezer? You can freeze them and then use when recipe calls for eggs. Beat a couple together than freeze in small containers.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I immediately think of devilled eggs, hard boiled eggs for egg salad and a favorite of my DH, remove the yolks from the hard boiled eggs and stuff the indentations with salsa. Now, I can't eat salsa for breakfast but he can. I don't make the salsa in the recipe, I use my own home canned salsa. Store bought would do if you don't can your own. He also likes high protein pancakes (which also freeze well).

High protein pancakes

6 EGGS
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 Tbsp. melted butter or vegetable oil
    3/4 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat eggs, cheese, flour, oil, baking powder, salt and vanilla in large bowl until blended.

Heat lightly greased large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Spoon 1/4 cup portion of batter (1 Tbsp. for silver dollar size) into skilletand cook until golden brown, turning once.

Serve with your favorite syrup or preserves, berries or fruit, or sliced bananas and chopped pecans.

Huevos Ranchero
    (From Simply Recipes)

Olive oil
    1/2 medium onion, chopped (about a half cup)
    1 15-ounce can whole tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted, if you can get it (or 1 -2 large fresh vine-ripened tomatoes, when in season)
    1/2 6-ounce can diced green Anaheim chiles
    Chipotle chili powder, adobo sauce, or ground cumin to taste (optional)
    4 corn tortillas
    Butter
    4 fresh eggs
    2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)

Make the sauce first by softening the onions in a little olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once translucent, add the tomatoes and the juice the tomatoes are packed in. Break up the tomatoes with your fingers as you put them in the pan. If you are using fresh tomatoes, chop them first, then add. Note that fresh tomatoes will take longer to cook as canned tomatoes are already cooked to begin with. Add chopped green chilies. Add additional chili to taste, either chipotle chili powder, adobo sauce, regular chili powder, or even ground cumin. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and let simmer while you do the rest of the cooking, stirring occasionally. Reduce to warm after it has been simmering for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste if needed.

Prepare the tortillas. Heat the oven to a warm 150°F, place serving plates in the oven to keep warm. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high, coating the pan with the oil. One by one (or more if your pan is big enough) heat the tortillas in the pan, a minute or two on each side, until they are heated through, softened, and pockets of air bubble up inside of them. Then remove them and stack them on one of the warming plates in the oven to keep warm while you continue cooking the rest of the tortillas and the eggs.

Fry the eggs. Using the same skillet as was used for the tortillas, add a little butter to the pan, about two teaspoons for 4 eggs. Heat the pan on medium high heat. Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for runny yolks, more for firmer eggs.

To serve, spoon a little of the sauce onto a warmed plate. Top with a tortilla, then a fried egg. Top with more sauce, sprinkle with cilantro if desired.

Serve either one or two eggs/tortillas per plate, depending on how much you want to eat.

Yield: Makes 2-4 servings, depending on your appetite.

Annie

I also freeze eggs, both raw and cooked. Breakfast burritos are nice to have in the freezer, you can take one out and pop it in the microwave for hurried mornings or even a quick supper.

Mine are made with what I have on hand, scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon/sausage/ham/whatever. Sometimes I add onions or mushrooms if I have those. Roll up in flour tortillas like a regular burrito and freeze. DH eats those with salsa too, but I take mine straight!

Annie

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Search breakfast casseroles, DH loves them for dinner.
    There are a bunch you can do in the crockpot over night for breakfast, or all day for dinner.
    "One pan" is good too. Fry up some sausage, bacon or ham, add chopped taters, onions, green peppers, whatever you have on hand, when the taters are done, dump a bowl of scrambled eggs in the pan and some shredded cheese. Camping favorite!

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

I also will put in an egg or two in my left over macaroni/meat/onion/olive etc left overs.
    That is,
    cooked macaroni
    beef/chicken (cooked,left over)
    sliced very thin onions
    sometimes olives
    then I scramble the eggs and even put in some shredded cheese
    seasoning? depends on what I have and how I feel. I
    call this creative cooking.
    Done in a fry pan.

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

Ha-I thought you were talking about Stovetop dressing.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, there are some great ideas here, thanks!

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

Try a Spanish Tortilla (type of omelet with potatoes and onions) and Italian Frittatas with other vegetables added. Both of these are considered lunch/brunch/dinner dishes rather than breakfast food.

mrbreakfast.com has lots of egg dishes, quiche and the like.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: omelet recipe list from Mr. Breakfast

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Eggs Benedict are surprisingly easy and as well as using poached eggs, the Hollandaise sauce uses a lot of eggs as well. When I kept my own chickens we often had Eggs Benedict for dinner :-)

• jaceysgranny
    11 years ago

Deviled eggs
    crepes
    lemon curd to serve with muffins or breads