Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: mexican casserole - asap

Posted by benflower (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 11:19

Does anyone have a mexican casserole recipe that can be made ahead of time and baked later. Wondering about the tortillas getting soggy. Prefer beef (hamburger). Thanks for your prompt response.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: mexican casserole - asap

Enchiladas fit that bill...yes tortillas get soggy, but that's what enchilidas are..flour tortillasw rapped around seasoned beef, chicken or beans, covered with enchilada sauce topped with cheese and baked.
Linda C

o

Linda
Do you have a good one with hamburger, or should I use shredded beef.
Thanks

o

Roselin posted this one that can be made ahead. Her recipes are always good. I'm sure it could be halved.

Beef Enchilada Casserole
2 lbs. ground beef
1T oil
3T chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
2T paprika
1/3c flour
1Qt tomato sauce
1/2c water
1 1/2-2 dozen corn tortillas, cut in quarters
Cheddar cheese
chopped onion
2 small cans green chilies
Brown beef in oil and add chili powder, salt, oregano, paprika and flour. Stir well; add liquids and chilies and simmer for ten minutes.
In a large baking dish, place a layer of meat sauce and cover with tortillas. Add approximately half of the remaining sauce and top with a really generous sprinkling of onions and cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and remaining sauce. Top with more onions and cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or til bubbling and very hot. Can be made a day ahead and then heated when ready to serve.
Serves 10.

o

Thanks -- (ginger?) Looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

o

Benflower, ground beef is good,shredded beef is even better. Around here everyone uses ground beef. When I visited Arizona and found that the better restaurants used shredded beef I loved it more.

o

I have several that we all love, but the all time favorite of everyone is one that is made with Doritos chips--the nacho cheese ones. I don't have exact amounts because it is one of those that you just sort of dump and cook. But to my household the more cheese the better.

It includes:
cooked ground beef, drained
Velveeta cheese (the kind in the 2 lb. block
Chopped onions (I prefer the red ones in this)
Doritos Nacho cheese chips
Can or two depending on amount made of chopped green
chiles
Canned enchilada sauce.

I layer everything starting with the chips on the bottom. Go a little light on the cheese on toward the bottom because it will melt down.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbling.

This is great hot and fresh, but I think it is even better as a left over.

It is not one of those healthy type dishes, but is delish.

o

You're welcome, Benflower. Hope you like Roselin's recipe - I'm sure you will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here