Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benflower

looking for: mexican casserole - asap

benflower
15 years ago

Does anyone have a mexican casserole recipe that can be made ahead of time and baked later. Wondering about the tortillas getting soggy. Prefer beef (hamburger). Thanks for your prompt response.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Enchiladas fit that bill...yes tortillas get soggy, but that's what enchilidas are..flour tortillasw rapped around seasoned beef, chicken or beans, covered with enchilada sauce topped with cheese and baked.
    Linda C

• benflower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda
    Do you have a good one with hamburger, or should I use shredded beef.
    Thanks

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Roselin posted this one that can be made ahead. Her recipes are always good. I'm sure it could be halved.

Beef Enchilada Casserole
    2 lbs. ground beef
    1T oil
    3T chili powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp oregano
    2T paprika
    1/3c flour
    1Qt tomato sauce
    1/2c water
    1 1/2-2 dozen corn tortillas, cut in quarters
    Cheddar cheese
    chopped onion
    2 small cans green chilies
    Brown beef in oil and add chili powder, salt, oregano, paprika and flour. Stir well; add liquids and chilies and simmer for ten minutes.
    In a large baking dish, place a layer of meat sauce and cover with tortillas. Add approximately half of the remaining sauce and top with a really generous sprinkling of onions and cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas and remaining sauce. Top with more onions and cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or til bubbling and very hot. Can be made a day ahead and then heated when ready to serve.
    Serves 10.

• benflower
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks -- (ginger?) Looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Benflower, ground beef is good,shredded beef is even better. Around here everyone uses ground beef. When I visited Arizona and found that the better restaurants used shredded beef I loved it more.

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I have several that we all love, but the all time favorite of everyone is one that is made with Doritos chips--the nacho cheese ones. I don't have exact amounts because it is one of those that you just sort of dump and cook. But to my household the more cheese the better.

It includes:
    cooked ground beef, drained
    Velveeta cheese (the kind in the 2 lb. block
    Chopped onions (I prefer the red ones in this)
    Doritos Nacho cheese chips
    Can or two depending on amount made of chopped green
    chiles
    Canned enchilada sauce.

I layer everything starting with the chips on the bottom. Go a little light on the cheese on toward the bottom because it will melt down.
    Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbling.

This is great hot and fresh, but I think it is even better as a left over.

It is not one of those healthy type dishes, but is delish.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You're welcome, Benflower. Hope you like Roselin's recipe - I'm sure you will.