Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

RECIPE: canning sausage meat

marricgardens
15 years ago

My MIL came from Germany and brought a lot of her recipes with her. I've asked her for the recipes of some of her dishes and she always said she didn't use recipes and she didn't say any more. What I always liked was her canned sausage meat. From my husband, I have learned that she used beef and pork mostly. She has since passed away and her recipe went with her. I was wondering if anyone else canned their sausage meat and how they made it, etc.? Thanks for any advice. Marg

Comments (9)

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

My ancestors came from Germany also, and we have an old family recipe for a meat spread, something like potted meat. We never "can" it, like preserving it, but it is also made using primarily beef and pork. Is your family's meat actually cured like a sausage, or canned/preserved?

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only thing I have been able to learn about it was that they used fresh beef, pork or whatever they were butchering at the time. It was definitely canned though. I think that maybe she just added a few spices. It had the consistency of a meat spread that was put on sandwiches or even eaten with potatoes. Sure was good. How do you make yours? Marg

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

Marg,
    The meat spread we make is made by taking a combination of cubed beef and cubed pork (anywhere from 50-50, to 2/3 - 1/3 beef to pork). I usually use stew beef and cut up a couple pork steaks. Put the meat in a stock pot with a couple medium sized quartered onions, salt and pepper. Just cover the meat with water, bring to a simmer, covered and let simmer until meat is fork tender. We then take the meat (and some onion if you like) and run it through a meat grinder. Lately I have been using a food processor, works just as well and allot quicker. After the meat is ground/processed, I put it in a container, and pour the strained stock over the meat, stirring and letting it settle until the meat is saturated with the stock. When it's done right, you should be able to push the back of a spoon into the top of the mixture, and see a little of the stock form a pool. We then put it in the refrigerator for the stock to congeal. It becomes a great meat spread for sandwiches. We also have a condiment spread that tastes great with it.

Meat Spread Sauce

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 Cup Cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons Sugar
    1 tablespoon Mustard
    1 teaspoon Cornstarch
    1 tablespoon Flour
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 Egg

1. Add Vinager, Cornstarch, Salt, Sugar And Mustard To Small Sauce Pan. Heat To Low Boil And Stir Until Smooth.
    2. Beat Egg In Cup, And Stir Into Vinager Mixture Slowly As It Boils To Thicken.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the recipe. I want to go out and get the ingredients tonight! First I have to finish my other canning though. Your recipe sounds a lot like what my MIL made. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks again. Marg

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning. I was rereading your recipe this morning. Eric says his mom put the raw ground meat in jars and then canned them. I think that is the big difference. You cook yours first, how long do you cook it for? Once it's cooked there wouldn't be any need to can would there? Would just putting the hot lids of them (I do that with pickles) create enough of a seal to preserve them? I was wondering because we are dealing with meat here. Marg

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

Marg,
    I've only made batches about 3lbs of meat at a time. It's enough to last me and the kids for 4-5 days of lunches and snacks. I've never tried actually preserving it, we just keep it in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator. As far as cooking, I simmer it for an hour or 2, until the meat is fork tender.

• shambo
    15 years ago

Marg, sorry to butt in on this most interesting thread. But if you're thinking of canning any kind of meat, you should check out the Harvest Forum (one of the other Garden Web forums). The members are really knowledgeable and can give you pointers on how to can meat products safely. It's very different from canning jams, jellies, & pickles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip shambo. I went there and posted asking for advice. Marg

• mdfrazier38_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

I want the fresh canned sausage recipe Thank you.
    Mason.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor