Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessie2020

RECIPE: Homemade Applesauce with Cinnamon and Rum

jessie2020
15 years ago

This is a recipe that's perfect for Thanksgiving and other holidays. It comes originally from a caterer near where I live in Connecticut -- the Cantering Caterer.

Homemade applesauce is the simplest thing on the planet to make! Your house will smell amazing for an hour after this comes off the stove!

Instructions:

Start with 8 cored apples  if possible, do a mix like Gala, Macintosh, Granny Smiths, whatever is in season, always trying to get green and red in there. Cut them into chunks and place in a saucepan. Add a couple of inches of water, just enough to almost cover the apples. Then add 1 cup of rum and a dash of cinnamon. Boil until soft, strain, and put the whole mix into a food processor. Process until it reaches the desired texture. It's good to leave it a bit lumpy. This will ensure that some of the great colors from the skins are visible. If you process too much, the color will mix and you will lose the great visual effect. Serve warm or cold.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cantering Caterer

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

No shortage of rum down here. I may try this since the alcohol would be boiled out. Thanks for posting this.

• arandygail
    15 years ago

I have never made applesauce with the peel still on. What does the peel do to the texture? Is the peel the reason that it is processed in the food processor?

I'm thinking this would save a lot of time!!

• minirose1
    15 years ago

Have made quite a bit of applesauce already, but still have lots of apples and this sounds so good, think I'll have to try some. Thanks

• blizlady
    15 years ago

I was wondering about the texture of the apple peels too. I think I'd like to try this with peeled apples, and just mash them in the pan as I usually do when making fresh apple sauce. I love the addition of rum! This sounds devine!

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

I make apple sauce with the peel. I just use a hand held blender and whiz for a few minutes to break up the peel. Works great! I figure you get nutrients from the peel so why not use it? Marg