Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Salmon with Julienned Vegetables - cooking class recipe

Posted by dishesdone (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 07 at 10:37

This was very good, in the class we used Salmon filets, string beans and carrots. If you didn't have parchment, then foil would work, but the presentation was nice in the parchment!

Seasonal Fish with Julienned Vegetables in Papillote
Servings: 8

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 medium carrots, julienned into 3-inch strips and 1/2 pound green beans or snow peas, julienned
4 tablespoons minced ginger
2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
1/3 cup water
8 sprigs cilantro
8 serving-size pieces of fish*
8 (13-inch) squares parchment paper

Heat oil in large skillet. Add carrots, green beans and ginger; cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Add water; cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently, and remove from heat. Stir in chopped cilantro, if using.

Stack and fold the eight pieces of parchment in half diagonally and cut into large rounded hearts. Open a heart and place one piece offish in middle of one side. Repeat with the remaining seven forming an assembly line. Top each piece with the vegetable mixture, dividing it evenly among the eight. Place one sprig of cilantro on top of vegetables. Fold over and seal parchment by beginning at bottom of center crease and overlapping and folding edge of parchment to form a tight seal. Repeat with remaining fish and vegetables. May be made up to 4 hours in advance.

Preheat oven to 450. Bake 10 to 14 minutes (10 if your vegetables are hot and you bake it immediately, 14 if it has been chilled). With a sharp knife, cut an X in the top of each papillote and serve immediately.

*You can use sea bass, salmon, tuna, swordfishwhatever is in season. If the fish is very thin, cook it for about 8 minutes.

Recipe by Anne Bailey, A la Carte Culinary Services, Ltd.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Salmon with Julienned Vegetables - cooking class rec

I love to cook and serve fish and veggies en papillote....it stays moist and the presentation Wow Factor is terrific for a simple dish!
Linda C

o

I had never done it that way before, Linda, and you're right, it was very simple and it got a lot of oohs and ahs in the class! If only I could get my family to like fish! I keep trying!

Funny, I never liked fish at all, but all the recipes and postings about it, and now I even order fish out these days. This place does expand your horizons a lot.

o

Works well with chicken breast too....just cook it longer, about 18 to 20 minutes depending on size, and put your veggies in raw because of the longer cooking time.
I also drizzle a little terayaki on the chicken so you don't have this white piece of chicken when you open it up.
For veggies with chicken I like to include some onion rounds as well as green beans, carrot sticks and even a well drained slice of tomato.
Your directions didn't say to brush the parchment with oil, before putting in the food. I always do that....don't know why if it's good and doesn't leak without.
Linda C

o

The parchment didn't leak at all without using the oil. We did a pretty good job of twisting the parchment closed, none opened in the oven! En Papillote is a very nice method, very easy! Sounds good with the chicken and vegetables, too! Did you use boneless, skinless?

o

Yep...couldn't be easier. Pop the chicken out of the package, rub on a little terayaki ( I have even done it with BBQ sauce!) pile on soms veggies, twist up the heart and bake!
Linda C

o

Thanks, Linda. I'll try it with chicken.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here