Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

RECIPE: Junior's Chicken Salad

annova914
14 years ago

I found the recipe for Junior's Chicken Salad (at Recipezaar). Since I've never been to the famous Junior's Deli in Brooklyn, NY, I don't know if this is their recipe or someone "re-created" it. But it is just like the NY deli chicken salads I loved back in the day when I lived in NYS. This is great on toasted rye or pumpernickel. Ann

JuniorÂs Chicken Salad

Celery leaves (optional)

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon white pepper

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large whole breasts or 4 large halves)

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 cup celery, diced

1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill

For the Mustard Cream Dressing:

3/4 cup mayonnaise (use Hellman's Real Mayonnaise and NOT the light variety)

1/3 cup sour cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

To cook the chicken: Fill a large saucepan half full with water. Add a few celery leaves, if you wish, plus the salt and white pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat. Slide in the chicken breasts, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken turns opaque and the juices are no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a colander with a slotted spoon, and rinse with cold water. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (please don't shred the chicken).

Place the chicken chunks into a medium-sized bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice and toss well. Add the diced celery and dill and toss again.

Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Spoon the dressing over the chicken mixture and stir until all of the chicken and celery are coated.

Source: Recipezaar

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County