Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vschlaff

LOOKING for: cold oven pound cake

vschlaff
14 years ago

Hi everyone!!

I'm going to make a cold oven pound cake this weekend and I want to try a new flavor instead of just vanilla. Has anyone tried other flavors with this type of cake?

Comments (4)

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

The Five Flavor poundcake recipe is very good -- one of my favorites. Just add 1 teaspoon of each of the following flavorings:

vanilla
    butter
    rum
    lemon
    almond

The confectioner's sugar glaze that can be drizzled over the cake has a teaspoon of vanilla in it.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

This recipe was posted by DAvid. Excellent pound cake. I'm a big vanilla fan, but you could add lemon or rum, etc.. instead.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

POUND CAKE ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE
    ====================================
    Posted by: lakeguy35 (My Page) on Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 23:50

Here is the recipe y'all, everyone I have shared this with loves it. I know there are alot of recipes floating around out there, but this one is my and many others favorite.

Janelle McComb,who was Elvis's friend from the time he was a boy in Tupelo Mississippi used to bake two loaves of this cake every Christmas and bring them to Graceland. On a good day, Elvis could eat one all by himself. He shared the other with his entourage.

ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
    1/2 pound of butter softened
    7 eggs room temperature
    3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
    1 cup heavy cream (not whipped)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Thoroughly butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating extremely well after each addition. Mix 1/2 half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Beat 5 full minutes. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set in cold oven and turn temp to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour to 90 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool thoroughly. Wrapped well in foil, this cake keeps several days.

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I'm always on the lookout for a good pound cake recipe. This looks wonderful, Ann. Thanks for posting it!

Lori

• vschlaff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the great recipes. I made one this weekend, and I thought about putting crushed pinapple in the batter. But, I didn't want to ruin the cake.
    I will try out some of these recipe's the next time!!!