o
RE: LOOKING for: Arroz con Pollo

Here is an authentic Venezuelan recipe:

1 chicken 2-3 lbs. cut up
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, minced
1 16oz. can tomatoes
1 small jar stuffed green olives, about 2 oz.
opt. can add a small jar of diced pimientoes
1 cup raw white rice
2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 lb. small pork link sausages
1 pkg. frozen green peas (10oz. pkg.)

Dredge chicken pieces in flour seasoned with some extra salt and pepper. Saute in a large saute pan with a lid or a Dutch oven in oil until golden brown, then remove from pan. Saute sausages, then remove from pan.

In remaining oil, saute onion stirring over medium heat. When golden, add tomatoes with their liquid, olives with their liquid, pimentos if using (not drained), rice, s&p, bouillon cubes, sausages. Put browned chicken pieces on top. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30-35 minutes. Stir now and then lifting rice up from bottom of pan. Sprinkle in peas the last 5 minutes of cooking.

If you like some heat, you can add a bit of jalapeno pepper liquid when you add in the tomatoes, etc.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Arroz con Pollo..

Teresa,
It's all put together & simmering away, and the aroma is wonderful. Looking forward to having this meal..
Thank you
Lucy

o
RE: LOOKING for: Arroz con Pollo

Here's another that is a bit spicy but very good from Puerto Rico although Teresa's sounds great:
ARROZ CON POLLO
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBL chopped jalapeno peppers
1 large red bell pepper, minced
1 large green bell pepper, minced
1 medium onion, minced
4 saffron threads
1/2 tsp cumin (I use more since I love it)
1/2 tsp oregano
2 lbs assorted boneless & skinless chicken breasts & thighs
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
1 TBL Worcestershire sauce
3 TBL cider vinegar
1 cup pigeon peas or black-eyed peas, soaked & boiled
1 cup white rice

In a large skillet, heat oil, garlic, peppers, onion, herbs & spices. Add chicken & brown on all sides. Pour into a casserole dish with a lid. Combine the sherry, broths & any remaining ingredients & pour over the chicken. Mix the rice & peas together & spinkle over chicken & vegetables. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes until rice has absorbed the liquid.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Arroz con Pollo.

Ginger, Thank you for your recipe,sounds wonderful... for sure it will be my next try. Used to make this many years ago and recently I remembered that we loved it, but had lost the recipe. It's the old favorites coming back for another round.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here