Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qmarker

RECIPE: Different Carrot Cake

qmarker
14 years ago

Recently someone brought this to share and it was so delicious and easy to make I thought I'd post it here.

A DIFFERENT CARROT CAKE...

Cheesecake:

16oz cream cheese

3/4 cup sugar

2 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 T flour

3 eggs

Beat cream cheese, add the rest of the ingredients - set aside

Carrot Cake

3/4 oil

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 cup flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup grated carrots

1/2 cups chipped walnuts (optional)

Combine oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in dry ingredients. Add carrots and walnuts (if desired)

Spread 1 1/2 cups carrot cake batter over the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Drop cheesecake batter over cake batter by the spoonful.

Top with large spoonsful of remaining carrot cake batter. Repeat. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50-65 minutes. Cool, then refrigerate.

Comments (9)

• lynndianne
    14 years ago

Qmarker that sounds wonderful. Can't wait to make it.
    Lynndianne

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

That sounds better than just cream cheese icing. Thanks!

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

I made this cake today and to quote my hubby, who is not fond of carrot cake "oh, this is wonderful, delicious" and he took a second piece.

I must say this though. I followed the directions carefully and expected to see the cake bake in a layer fashion, based on the directions.

carrot cake batter on bottom, drop cheesecake batter over cake batter by the spoonful. Top with large spoonful of remaining carrot cake batter. repeat.
    The repeat, I assumed was a second layer of the cheesecake batter.

I placed the remaining cake batter in the center of the pan on top of the first layer of cheesecake batter, and there was enough cheese cake batter to cover the entire top of the cake a second time.

Once baked, cooled, and chilled in the frig, when cut to serve, I found a layer of cake, topped with a layer of cheesecake.

Not sure if this was the way it was supposed to come out, but it looked wonderful and tasted wonderful as well.

Fran

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Opinions: I want to make this tomorrow as I have most of the ingredients. Do you think it will be doable with carrot cake mix--which I do have in the pantry?

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Mustangs,

I don't know how well it would work. Based on my experience making the cake I can say the following.

The cake batter was much thicker than the cake batter is from a mix, at least the ones I'm familiar with.

The cake batter makes about 2 cups of batter or a little less, but does spread out on the bottom of the pan once the 1 1/2 cups is put in. It is a very thin layer of batter that when baked, turned into about 1/2 inch high.

I think that the cake mix batter might be too thin to use in a springform pan, it might leak out.

You might need to double the cheese cake batter if you wanted to try using the cake mix and spring form pans and you would need 2 of them.

One suggestion I have though, to give this a try.

Instead of 2 springform pans , why not try a 9x13 inch pan instead. Put all of the cake mix batter in the 9x13 inch pan and then top it with the cheese cake batter, but I would double the cheese cake batter to be safe.

Even if some of the cheese cake batter ended up soaking into some of the cake batter, I would think most of it would remain on the top.

You could then just cool and refrigerate the cake, cut into squares to serve.

Good luck and would love to hear how it turns out, especially if you decide to try the cake mix.

Fran

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Fran, Thanks for the feedback!

I went ahead and used the homemade carrot cake because it was simple and not much more time than making the mix. It was pretty thin, so perhaps I did something wrong. I will cut into it tomorrow night and will report back.

• qmarker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I also sent this recipe to a number of my friends via email who do not come to this wonderful site. Three of them plus myself made the cake. It turned out that two of us made it using the layer method as in "repeat". But the other two ladies did not see the word "repeat" and they both just used huge spoonfulls one time.

In any case, everyone one of them declared it 'wonderful'. So, I guess Fran you've even come up with a little bit different rendition but taste is the key in the end. I guess you really can't goof it up one way or the other.

I'm glad your hubby liked it too!

Donna

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Hi Donna,

First let me say thank you for posting this wonderful recipe. It is just wonderful, different and it grabs people that are not lovers of carrot cake or lovers of cheese cake.

Normally my hubby wouldn't go out of his way to eat carrot cake, as I mentioned above, and I'm the same way with any kind of cheese cake.

BUT, combine the 2 of them into one cake/cheese cake, it is a wonderful combo, wonderful taste and dispels the idea that both do not taste good.

Second, I have to ask you some questions on making the cake in layers.

I followed your directions to layer the different cakes and it didn't work out.
    So, please tell me what I did wrong.

When I mixed the carrot cake part, it didn't make a lot of batter. I put the 1 1/2 cups on the bottom of the cake pan, then spooned the cheese cake batter, that was thin, on top of it.
    When I went to make the next layer of carrot cake batter, there wasn't anywhere near enough to cover the cheese cake batter with a second layer of carrot cake batter, so I just put it in the center and then covered again with the rest of the cheese cake batter.

What did I do wrong? Should there only have been 1 cup of batter on the bottom, so that there would be enough carrot cake batter to make a second layer?

On another interesting twist on the recipe. I gave the recipe to a very close friend, who passed in on to her daughter to try. She and her roommate made the cake to serve guests that where coming for dinner last night.

There twist was this. Since the didn't have a 9 inch spring form pan, they did this.

They doubled the cake batter and cheese cake batter recipe. then they used a 9" by 13" pan. Put all of the cake batter on the bottom, topped it off with the cheese cake batter. Then they decided that it "just looked to plain for company". So they shredded more carrots, dried them well with paper towels and then carefully sprinkled them on top of the cheese cake batter before baking.
    They baked it for about the same length of time as the recipe said too, about 55 minutes total.

They found the shredded carrots sunk into the cheese cake batter just slightly and made a "really fancy appearance on the top of the cheese cake" "sort of dressed it up a bit, made it look better than just a cheese cake and added an interesting bit of texture, color and flavor to the cheese cake as well, blended with the carrot cake, but didn't overpower the taste of the cheese cake."

Did I say these 2 young woman are only in their early 20's, just 1 year out of college, living on their own and working?
    Sounds like to me, they are going to turn into wonderful cooks.

They asked me to say thank you to you Donna, for the wonderful recipe and to let you know how they changed things a bit and how wonderful it came out.

Thanks again, and please let me know what I did wrong to end up not being able to layer the cake batters.

Fran

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

I served this last night for "Family Dinner Night" and like Fran, I didn't have enough batter to layer. I had bottom layer carrot cake, cheese cake, very thin layer carrot cake. All was fine.

I told my 4 year old grandson that dessert had a surprise in it; mistake on my part as he was looking for a Cracker Jack type surprise. Anyway he specifies (even to the waiter) DON'T COOK MY VEGETABLES, so after he finished every crumb, I revealed the surprise that he ate "cooked carrots". He was okay with it.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus