Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: A Wing Sauce for Women!

eileenlaunonen
14 years ago

Im hosting a housewarming party for my sister Fri Oct 16th. I have 30 women coming and Im doing appetizers/finger food. I have a buffalo wing recipe that goes over very well with "The Men" but the women ...not so much! I love wings but I thought maybe someone had a sauce suggestion for wings that may appeal to a wimpy crowd..LOL...not looking for traditional buffalo or honey style....TIA

Comments (14)

• lindac
    14 years ago

How about glazing them with apricot preserves?
    Or just do raspberry.

Raspberry Wings
    1-1/2 c seedless raspberry jam
    1/3 c balsamic vinegar
    3 T soy sauce
    1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 pkg (5 lb) frozen chicken wings, thawed
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients, except the wings, over medium heat, stirring until smooth. In a large bowl, toss
    the wings with half of the jam mixture. Place on the baking sheets and
    bake for 50 minutes. Turn the wings and brush with the remaining jam
    mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the
    chicken and the sauce glazes the wings. Serve immediately.
    NOTE: If you substitute boneless, skinless chicken tenders for the wings, just reduce the baking time to about 15 minutes. And, for a change, you might even want to try this with apricot jam instead of raspberry.
    Serves: 4 to 6

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is interesting Linda...most women love raspberry...Thanks

• dottieq
    14 years ago

My husband and I both love these wings and find them less messy to eat than the fried ones.

Chicken Wings

16 chicken wings...cut off tips and split at joint
    3 T. butter, melted
    4 T. Louisiana hot sauce
    1 T. Habernero sauce
    1 T. white wine vinegar
    1 T. honey
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt

Mix together in large bowl while chicken is baking.

Chicken: Steam wings 10 minutes. Pat dry and refrigerate on paper towel-lined tray 1 hr. Remove from fridge and replace paper towel with parchment paper. Bake in 400 degree oven 20 minutes. Turn chicken and bake another 20 minutes. Remove from oven and toss in bowl with above mixture. I do not think these are too hot but you can adjust the hot sauce as needed. Can serve with or without bleu cheese dressing.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dottie Ill try these for myself,hubby and my kids but for these women I have to say they wont even try it. Alot are in there 50/60's and have an array of issues from IBS,Menopause,Gall Bladder etc! They'll be enough heat if you get my drift LOL!!

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's really easy....a jar of Smuckers seedless raspberry preserves, balsamic, soy sauce and red pepper to taste....I like to add some finely chopped jalapenos too....but you probably want to cut down on the heat....and for "wussy women" I think it would skip the crushed red pepper and just add a couple of dashes of tobasco....lest someone get a piece of red pepper in their mouth.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ha! Linda your funny! Thanks for the tips!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

This is an old, tried and true recipe. I have doubled and tripled it successfully.

CHICKEN WINGS WITH OYSTER SAUCE

2 lbs (approx. 10) chicken wings - discard tips, cut wings into 2 sections

1/2 c. cooking oil (more, as needed)
    2 slices fresh ginger

Mix together for sauce:
    2 Tbsps. dry sherry
    3 Tbsps. soy sauce
    3 Tbsps. oyster sauce
    1 tsp. sugar

Scald wings in boiling water - pat dry. Use wok or deep pan to cook ginger slices briefly in hot oil - then cook chicken wing pieces a few at a time until they brown on both sides. Pour excess oil from pan - add sauce and 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer wings in this for 10 minutes, then uncover and cook 10 more minutes basting with the sauce.

These are also good cold. I take them on picnics.

seagrass

• littleonefb
    14 years ago

Eileen, these 2 recipes should fit the bill. Years ago, I made them for a super bowl party.

I had to satisfy the ones that loved the hot stuff, 5-12 year old kids, the women that didn't like hot seasoned anything, the grandmas that would rather die than eat anything seasoned too spicy and the love of all, the grandma that I swear would drink a bottle of hot sauce if you let her.

They reheat well in both the oven and the microwave and have become, not only a family favorite, but everyone left the super bowl party wanting the recipes for both types of wings and have been on the super bowl party list for more than 20 years now.

Both are simple to double, triple or what ever you need.

KRAFT CHICKEN WINGS FOR SUPER BOWL PARTY.

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 dozen chicken wings, tips removed and cut into 2 pieces
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1 8 oz bottle catalina salad dressing
    1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (dried ginger doesn't work well for this)

Mix soy suace, ginger and salad dressing.

place wings in 1 gallon ziplock type plastic bag. Pour marinade in bag and seal closed, removing as much air as possible. spread flat and spread marinade around. Turn bag over every couple of hours.
    Marinade several hours to overnight. 24 hours can be even better. Keep in frig while marinating.

Place wings on broiler pan and broil 15-20 minutes, turning half way through and baste wings with marinade after turning.

Serve with horseradish sauce for the ones that love the hot stuff, and blue cheese dressing for those that don't. add cut up veggies to go with the blue cheese dressing, like carrots, celery, etc.

Be sure to have plenty of wipes to use for hands.

SILVER SPOON WINGS. from Boston Globe about 25 years ago. taste much like the wings in a chinese restaurant.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (dried doesn't taste right)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    2-3 pounds chicken wings, tips removed and cut at joint

Combine sugar, water, soy sauce, pineapple juice, oil, ginter and garlic powder. stir until sugar is dissolved. Place chicken wings in 1 gallon size ziploc type bag. pour marinade over wings, seal to close removing as much air as possible. flatten wings in bag and spread marinade.
    Marinate at least one full day, 2 days is better. don't forget to turn bag in frig many times during marinating.

To bake, pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

line cookie sheets with an edge that goes up the side, with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Place wings on aluminum foil.
    Bake 40 minute or until tender, basting twice with marinade.

These taste great served cold as well as hot.

Hope these help you out.

Fran

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!

• kaelkriver
    14 years ago

Messy Sticky Chicken Wings

They are really good, but are messy!

1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 cup pineapple juice
    1 clove garlic, mashed
    2 tablespoons onion, minced
    1 - teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup beer
    1/4 cup butter (for browning)

Combine all ingredients, except butter, and marinate 3 pounds of chicken wings 3 Â 4 hours in refrigerator. (IÂve let them sit overnight). When ready to cook, drain and save juice. Brown chicken wings in butter, add 1/4 cup juice. Simmer 35 to 40 minutes, adding more juice as needed.

• franny_2009
    14 years ago

Japanese Chicken Wings

Great for crowds and kids! Tastes good warmed up if there's any left. Always a hit!!! Have been making them for years!! People ask for the recipe every time!!! Everyone loves them!!!

Ingredients:
    3 lbs. chicken wings, tips removed
    1 egg
    1/3 cup flour 75ml
    1 cup butter 250ml....when I make these I find I have to keep adding eggs and flour and butter until done.

Sauce:
    3 Tbsp. soy sauce 45 ml
    3 Tbsp. water 45ml
    1 cup white sugar 250ml
    1/2 cup vinegar 125ml
    garlic powder

Instructions:
    Cut wings in half. Dip in slightly beaten egg and then in flour. Fry in butter until deep brown and crisp. Place in shallow roasting pan.Sprinkle with garlic powder. Mix all sauce ingredients together ( I put in the micro wave for about a minute) and pour over chicken wings. Bake at 350 F (180C)
    for 1/2 hour. Baste wings with sauce during cooking.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you!

• gor-gor
    14 years ago

This is always a hit:

For 5 lbs of wings

1 C Soy Sauce
    1 C Orange Juice
    5 Tbs Garlic powder (or as many fresh minced cloves as you want)
    1-3 tsp Brown Sugar (I always use much more, lol)

Mix and let wings soak for 24 hours in a large ziplock bag in the frige.

bake at 350* for 1 hour or on the grill.

Not a sauce, but a good marinade. It won't make a difference if you use low salt soy sauce I'm sure.

:)

• mariend
    14 years ago

I saw a receipe tonigh on the Food Network on Guy F. DDD that showed wing in rice flour/tempura as it is finer texture then diped into a hot honey mix, then deep fried. you might go to the website to see if it is listed on his show diner,drive in and dives. It sure looked good, but not too spicy

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH