Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

RECIPE: Delicious Pork Tenderloin Recipe

trudymom
16 years ago

I made this last night and it was delicious. I did omit the fennel pollen because I could not find it. But I did use the other fresh herbs and it was great. I bought 2 tenderloins and 1 loaf of the bread. I will make it again and again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork Tenderloin Recipe

Comments (39)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Oh wow - this sounds so delicious and so different! Wish I had a picnic to go to - guess I'll have to make my own. Did you eat this hot or at room temp?

Thanks, Trudymom, for this recipe, I can't wait to try it.

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Thank you~

So pretty and different i am hoing to give this a try! Printed even..not only copied and pasted:)

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are so welcome!! We ate this hot. One more thing I did--with the bread that I scooped out with a spoon, I tossed it with a little olive oil and Italian seasoning and put it in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 5 minutes until crunchy, then put it over my spinach/tomato salad that I served with it. It added a nice crunch to the salad.

When I put my pork tenderloin in the bread, it didn't close all the way--in fact it was open about 2 inches, which was just fine. Make sure you buy the plain--not seasoned pork tenderloins.

Enjoy!!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

This does sound wonderful for lunches on the boat. Thanks, for sure giving this one a try!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

All I need now is a boat..:) To make it ideal..A pork t is on my list..thanks for the additional tips..Just sat down..going to peruse her site!

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I just happened to buy a tenderloin yesterday AND a baggette!! what a nice co-inky-dink that you posted this wonderful recipe....it was destiny :)

cant wait to try it tonight!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Trudymom..I made it 2nite~

Delicioso!

I rolled it in Dijon..the grainy one..after pan browning..stuffed it w/ garlic cloves first..and rolled it in fresh herbs..we served it w/ a mushroom sauce.. tatooed potatoes and grilled broccoli..Sooo good!

And to eat that crsuty bread crust:) Oh ...

I did what you recommended w/ the soft pull out:) A-1.

A keeper..Many thanks for sharing,Monique

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Monique, I'm sooooo glad you enjoyed the recipe!! Great idea about the Dijon and garlic cloves!!--I will try that next time! Oh and the mushroom sauce--great touch!! Thanks for the tips!!

Trudy

• shaun
    16 years ago

Wow that sounds really wonderful. I have a party to go to Saturday night and need to bring something. This might be the perfect thing to bring. Looks like it'll transport very easily and when we get there we can slice it up.

One question - does the bread get very crunchy cooking that long or do the juices that come out of the tenderloin keep it sort of soft?

Thanks!

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

shaun, I think it would be great to take to a party. Like you said, I'd just keep it tied up til I get there, then untie it and slice it. The bread was very crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Shaun..Mine was very crunchy..I had removed a lot of the interior,maybe you could leave more..It was a meat dish for us..Like en croûte..

I see no reason why you could not bring it..it could be served w/ different mustards.. It would be so pretty in a basket w/ a pretty new dishtowel :)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

• shaun
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll leave a little more bread on the inside. Hey I might make this tonight for my family and then do it again for the party! Thanks again for the recipe.

Monique, as usual, your pictures are so beautiful.

• shaun
    16 years ago

Okay I bought the roast and a baguette. Can't wait to try this!!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Shaun darlin' , it's just the old lady in me, but when you say "roast" did you buy a loin roast or a pork tenderloin? This recipe won't work well with a loin roast.

Probably just sticking my nose in where it isn't needed but wanted to make sure this works out well for you...

PS It's on ,my list for the weekend!

• shaun
    16 years ago

Oops, I meant the tenderloin. My mistake!! It's done but it doesnt look at pretty as Monique's. I hope she's good!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Shaun~ Yours looks better..the whole roast IS supposed to be covered! You did good girl!

I hope you love it!
    Sharon..it's not the old lady in you..it's the mom in you~
    I know..I have that too.
    I hear mom in a mall and I think it's me.
    Oy.

PS I bet Ann's ties would look fab w/ this.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Oh, so you mean Sharon's not an old lady after all? She's so much older than me, LOL, by 3 whole months!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

OK you sweet young thing, that must mean you have a birthday coming up...fess up!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Next grocery trip - one baguette coming up. Looks so delicious!

• lorijean44
    16 years ago

I love pork tenderloin and have been looking for something a little different. This looks great (as does everyone's pictures!)

Thanks for sharing the recipe - I'm definitely going to try it, too!!

Lori

• lindac
    16 years ago

Well, since every one's talking about it but no one has posted the recipe...I'll take that liberty. Sounds lovely!!

Pork Roasted the Way the Tuscan Do
    This is a wonderful and easy technique for pork roasted inside a baguette with wonderful fresh herbs and of course garlic and olive oil! I'm sure this will become a favorite of yours too - it's great to bring on a picnic lunch!

2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage
    2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon fennel pollen
    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 pork tenderloin, trimmed
    1 loaf crusty baguette

On a work surface, mince the sage, rosemary, pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and fennel pollen together.

Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook the pork, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Roll the pork in the herb mixture and set aside. Cut the baguette in half the long way and scoop out the soft insides. Brush the inside of the baguette with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place the pork on the inside of the baguette so that the pork is completely enclosed. Trim off the excess ends of the bread. Tie, at 1 to 2-inch intervals, with kitchen string.

Preheat an oven to 375°F. Place the pork on a baking sheet and roast until done, 155 to 160°F when an instant read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part, 25 to 35 minutes.

Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes. Remove the strings and cut into slices. Serve.

Serves 4

©2007 joanneweir.com

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

OMGosh! This is delicious! Since I could not wait for the fennel pollen I ordered this week (from Sugar Farm @ www.fennelpollen.com) I followed the recipe by adding finely chopped fennel seed to the herb mixture. My husband raved at the wonderful seasonings! I did liberally season the sauteeing pork tenderloin with granulated garlic before rolling it in the herbs and encasing it in the baguette(s) and baking it for 30 minutes.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am going to make it again tonight. I wonder if I should buy some fennel seed today and grind it up to make it a powder. Do you think that would be similar to fennel pollen?

Thanks!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

What I've read about fennel pollen states that it doesn't taste anything like fennel seed. I don't think you can go wrong by using it though.

Beverly

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

Oh, so my fennel pollen arrived and I have used it on a few times. Personally, I think it is over-rated. When I made the pork tenderloin recipe the first time I used about 1 tsp fennel seed (instead of fennel pollen) that I chopped up well before adding it to the herb mixture. It added a really delicious flavor to the pork......better than the flavor of the fennel pollen, I believe.

Also, no matter what the adds and reviews say to the contrary, fennel pollen has the distinct aroma of anise/licorice. You can actually smell it through the closed tin!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I received my fennel pollen a couple of days ago and had already made the recipe using ground fennel instead. Now I've tried it with the fennel pollen too, and I agree it's highly over-rated. I like the taste of the ground fennel better in this recipe.

Beverly

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Why, oh why, has it taken me so long to see this? I can't wait to try it!

One question: what size pork tenderloin? About 1 to 1-1/2 lbs.?

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just bought the normal size--didn't really look at the weight of it. Just make sure that you don't get one that is pre-seasoned. Actually, I bought 2 pork tenderloins, 1 baguette and did not double any of the seasonings and it was just right. I do want to get some of the fennel seed though.

• cookingrvc
    15 years ago

Hi guys. hope all is well with you all. I made this last night having saved it a while ago. I made some changes, primarily adding sauteed broccoli rabbe to the sandwich, but kept the rosemary which I didn't think married well with the other flavors, although everyone who ate it disagreed.

I think this is a nice method which will respond nicely to different flavor combinations.

For instance, add some prosciutto, fresh spinach, and a little Parm reg to the bread. I also agree with Monique about mustard, which I think would be lovely with ham and pickles, swiss for a Cuban flair.

Sue

• benflower
    15 years ago

This sounds great, however, I have a question--- the baguettes I normally buy are long and skinny-- not close to being big enough around to cover the tenderloin, let alone having some of the soft part scooped out. Are you guys talking about a french bread loaf? Please let me know, I want to try this great looking recipe. With the holidays coming up, this would be wonderful to take to a Christmas get together with neighbors.

• benflower
    15 years ago

OH-- I need to know if you wrap it foil?

• cookingrvc
    15 years ago

I used Italian bread, and no, no foil otherwise the bread won't get crispy...it really is the best part!

s

• annova914
    15 years ago

I cannot get to this recipe - when I click on the link I'm told there's an error. Would someone please provide this recipe? Thanks! Ann

• woodie
    15 years ago

Pork Roasted the Way the Tuscan Do
    This is a wonderful and easy technique for pork roasted inside a baguette with wonderful fresh herbs and of course garlic and olive oil! I'm sure this will become a favorite of yours too - it's great to bring on a picnic lunch!

2 teaspoons fresh chopped sage
    2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon fennel pollen
    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 pork tenderloin, trimmed
    1 loaf crusty baguette

On a work surface, mince the sage, rosemary, pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and fennel pollen together.
    Heat a frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook the pork, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Roll the pork in the herb mixture and set aside. Cut the baguette in half the long way and scoop out the soft insides. Brush the inside of the baguette with the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place the pork on the inside of the baguette so that the pork is completely enclosed. Trim off the excess ends of the bread. Tie, at 1 to 2-inch intervals, with kitchen string.
    Preheat an oven to 375°F. Place the pork on a baking sheet and roast until done, 155 to 160°F when an instant read thermometer is inserted into the thickest part, 25 to 35 minutes.
    Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes. Remove the strings and cut into slices. Serve.
    Serves 4

Here is a link that might be useful: Tuscan Pork

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Ok, I guess I'll be the one voice of dissent... Made this a while ago and thought it was so-so at best. I didn't feel the pork juices really saturated the bread much, and walked away wishing I had just roasted the tenderloin and made some nice garlic bread to serve on the side. In order to get bread big enough to wrap around the tenderloin, I had to use a loaf that -- even with pulling out the insides -- resulted in the whole thing feeling much too bread heavy to me...

Emily

• annova914
    15 years ago

Woodie2 - thanks for posting. I didn't realize it was the same recipe as the one posted by Lindac above (don't mind me :o) I have a feeling that I'll need to get a very good loaf of French bread (i.e., from a great bakery!) to ensure that it comes out crunchy and tasty. Need to buy a pork tenderloin to check out the size (it's been a while) and see if a baguette could handle it. This does sound delicious. Ann

• woodie
    15 years ago

Oh Ann, I didn't even notice that Linda had already posted it! I just skimmed some of the more recent posts. When I made this, I spread a little butter and mustard on the bread first.

• cookingrvc
    15 years ago

We just had the leftovers for dinner last night, and it was soo good. I loved the bread and broccoli rabbe more than the pork. It came out so crisp.

I used a crusty Italian bread from the Italian store, which is more crusty than those I've purchased at the grocery store.

Yum,
    sue