Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Dense bread...

Posted by eileenlaunonen (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 9, 08 at 8:11

A local upper scale restaurant serves a wonderful bread basket in it is a very dense bread its dark brown and has walnuts and raisins its is soooooooo good,usually there is 2 half slices and we all look at each other like "Dont you Dare!!" LOL... Anyone have a similar T&T very much appreciated..I think Ill put it on the Thanksgiving lineup! Open to other style breads too that work well for the holidays!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Dense bread...

I make all kinds of breads using nuts and dried fruits, some with whole wheat and some with rye flour. Lots of whole grain flour and things like ground flax seed make for a dense bread.
I can't possibly replicate that breadw ithout knowing a lot more.
BUT...
I make a whole wheat apricot hazelnut bread that may fill the bill
I use the food processor and put into it
4 cups of flour..about 3 1/4 cups white bread flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat.
Add 1 tsp salt and 3/4 tsp cinnamon and mix.
Then chop 1/2 cup of dried aprocots....add some of the measured flour as you chop. I do it with a chef's knife on a board...set aside.
Then chop 2/3 cup of hazelnuts (almonds are good too...as are pecans!) add to the apricots.
Put 1/3 cup of warm water into a measuring cup, add 2 envelopes active dry yeast ( or equivalant) and 1/2 tsp sugar and allow to foam.
So...you have the flours and salt in the processor, and the fruit and nuts in a bowl and the yeast and water in a measuring cup.
Add 1/2 cup honey to the flour in the processor and turn on to mix.
Add cold water to the yeast mix to make a total of 1 1/4 cups. Turn on the processor and with it running slowly pour the water into the feed tube. When it forms a ball, allow to process another 15 to 20 seconds and turn out onto a lightly floured board...it will be a sticky dough!
With floured hands, pat out to 1/2 inch thick, sprinkle with the nuts and fruit, roll up the dough and knead a few times and put into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until double.....punch down and allow to rise again.
Then turn out onto that floured board and shape into 2 free form loaves, cover with oiled saran and allow to double, brush tops with beaten egg and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes until done.
Makes awesome toast!
Lidna C

o
RE: LOOKING for: Dense bread...

Thanks Linda im going to try this I love Apricots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here