Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffed

LOOKING for: Cabbage Recipes

fluffed
15 years ago

I am really craving cabbage. I have a great corned beef and cabbage recipe but I'm craving something else.

I'm flexible but don't want anything with tomatoes.

Any good recipes out there?

Comments (13)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES (serves 8)
    2 lb head red cabbage, cut into quarters
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    1/4 cup butter
    2 cups water
    2 TBL cider vinegar
    4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced
    3 TLB fresh lemon juice

shred the cabbage, discarding the core. Saute the onions, salt, nutmeg & pepper in the butter in a large saucepan until the onions are golden brown. Add the water & vinegar & mix well. Stir in the cabbage. Cook, covered over medium heat for 30 minutes. Add the apples & mix well. Cook for 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. May add more water if the cabbage appears dry. Stir in the lemon juice. Serve immediately.~~TX Ties

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Quick dish...saute chopped cabbage with onions S&P and at the end add butter. Stuffed cabbage is a good one too!

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I've posted this before, but it's so good, everyone should try it once!

Claremont Salad - keeps 1 week refrigerated

vegetables:
    3/4head of cabbage shredded
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    1 carrot, grated or 1 pkg. grated
    1 cucumber, sliced

dressing:
    2 TB sugar
    3 TB cider vinegar
    2 TB salad oil
    1 TB water
    1 t. salt
    fresh ground black pepper

Mix all the vegetables together in a big bowl. Put dressing in jar and shake very well. Pour over the vegetables. Leave vegetables and dressing at room temperature for 2 hours, then put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.

note: I usually double the amount of dressing

Teresa

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

My DD often made this for her vegan friends:

CURRIED CABBAGE, LEMON, AND RICE SALAD 4 to 6 servings

Salad:
    3 cups finely shredded cabbage
    1 1/2 cups cooked, cooled brown rice
    2 scallions, thinly sliced
    1/3 cup minced sweet red peppers
    1/4 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen peas
    2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley

Dressing:
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1/2 tsp. curry powder
    1/8 tsp. ground ginger
    1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
    pinch of cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup corn oil

Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients except oil until thoroughly combined. Slowly whisk in the oil. Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss well. Chill thoroughly.

Source: RodaleÂs Garden-Fresh Cooking

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

Here's a couple of recipes for you. Cabbage just says "Autumn" to me, for some reason :-) I've made the first recipe often - we like it as a side dish with roast turkey or pork. The second is a recipe I have in my files to try that sounds good, with the bonus of being a one pan meal.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow-Braised Cabbage with Apples and Cranberries

Recipe By :Becky Chatham
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    a generous pinch each of cinnamon, cloves
    and freshly grated nutmeg
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 head red cabbage -- cored and shredded
    1 large onion -- chopped finely
    1 garlic clove -- peeled and chopped finely
    2 large cooking apples -- peeled, cored and chopped
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon butter

SERVES 6

Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.

Mix the sugar, spices, salt, and pepper. Layer the shredded cabbage with the onion, garlic, apples, and cranberries, seasoning each layer with a pinch of the seasoning. Sprinkle the vinegar over top, and dot with butter. Cover and cook for about 2 hours, giving the mixture a stir halfway through cooking. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary before serving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork Tenderloins Braised with Red Cabbage

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 pork tenderloins
    1 cup Pinot Noir
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    2 bay leaves -- crumbled
    2 cloves garlic -- mashed
    Ground cloves
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 thick slices bacon
    1 large red onion -- thinly sliced
    4 medium carrots -- peeled, sliced or
    julienned
    1 red cabbage -- (2-pound) cored,
    thinly shredded
    1/2 cup beef stock (homemade or canned)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Steamed baby carrots -- for garnish

Trim the tenderloins of all fat and silver skin. Combine the Pinot Noir, 1/2 cup olive oil, balsamic vinegar, bay leaves, garlic and a pinch of ground cloves in a noncorrosive bowl and whisk to mix well. Add the tenderloin and turn to coat well. Marinate, covered, at room temperature for 1 hour, or in the refrigerator for 8 hours or longer, turning 2 or 3 times.

Remove the tenderloins to drain on paper towels, reserving the marinade. Cut the tenderloins into halves. Brown in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large, heavy saute pan. Remove the pork.

Cut the bacon into 1/4-inch strips. Add to the saute pan. Cook over low heat just until light brown. Add the onion and sliced or julienned carrots. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage. Cook until it begins to wilt. Add the reserved marinade with the garlic, beef stock, salt and pepper; mix well. Add the pork, covering with the cabbage. Cook, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes, turning the pork once.

Remove the pork to a plate. Cook the cabbage, uncovered, until any remaining liquid is reduced to syrup. Adjust the seasonings. Slice the pork. Spoon the cabbage onto plates and arrange the pork on top. Garnish with steamed baby carrots.

Yield: 6 servings

Credits
    Recipe from: The Vintner's Table Cookbook: Recipes from a Winery Chef by Mary Evely (Simi Winery)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

Do a search on recipesource.com. They have well over a hundred recipes for cabbage.

• fluffed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I really like tried and true so it is good to hear someone say they make something a lot instead of just googling!

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You're welcome.

• fluffed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made the Slow-Braised Cabbage with Apples and Cranberries last night and it was delish!

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

To your regular steamed cabbage, add a sprinkle or two of curry powder! Really really tasty!

• breasley
    15 years ago

This is how I like to make cabbage. It's my own recipe and not from a Google search.

Down Home Cabbage
    1/2 pound bacon, chopped to 1"
    1 med onion, julienned
    1 1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    3/4 tsp course ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp sugar
    3 bay leaves
    1 head cabbage, cored and sliced
    1 bottle amber bock

Cook the bacon in a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, until browned and slightly crispy, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, salt, pepper flakes, black pepper, sugar, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and stir to mix well. Cook, stirring, until the cabbage just begins to wilt or soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the beer. Stir to mix.
    Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 hour. Remove the bay leaves and serve warm.

• kaelkriver
    15 years ago

Simple, but good.

Cabbage Casserole

1 head of cabbage, coarsely chopped
    1 ½ pounds of ground beef, cooked and drained
    1 good-sized onion, sliced, (or more to taste)
    Salt and pepper, and any other seasoning to taste

2 cans of tomato soup

Assembly:

In a large casserole (I use a 5 quart) start with a layer of hamburger. Add a layer of onion, seasoning and then a layer of cabbage. Continue layering this way until all ingredients are gone. (After baking this casserole will reduce in size by ½)

When half-way through the layering process, spread a can of tomato soup over cabbage row. Finish layering and spread 1 can of tomato soup over the top of the casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1-½ hours or until cabbage is tender and casserole has been reduced by approximately ½. Stir a few of times during the baking period.

Note: About 2/3 of the way through the cooking time, after stirring, I sometimes add an extra 8-ounce can of tomato sauce. I think it tastes better when reheated.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Thanks for some new cabbage recipes, people! I love cabbage. Here's a very good recipe, thanks to Socks.

Octoberfest Stirfry

Posted by: socks12345 (My Page) on Tue, Sep 20, 05 at 20:18

1 pkg sausage
    3 cups total chopped total chopped cabbage, onion & red pepper
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 C beef broth
    1/4 C beer
    1 t brn sugar
    1 t cider vinegar
    1/2 t carraway seeds
    pinch celery seeds
    1 T cornstarch
    3 t olive oil

Slice sausage into sections on the diagonal and stir fry in the oil with veggies & garlic until veggies are crisp tender. Add broth, beer, sugar, vinegar & seasonings. Simmer about 4 minutes. Mix cornstarch with 1 T water, add to pan, stir until thickened.
    I usually use the whole head of cabbage because we like cabbage. You have to use a very large skillet, but it cooks down pretty quick.
    Susan

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions