Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

LOOKING for: Going to an Island for the Weekend

suzieque
15 years ago

I'm going with a small group (~8-10 people) to a summer house on a little island in a big lake. Dinners are taken care of, but I'm part of the group responsible for breakfasts and lunches. Keep in mind that the people doing the dinners are gourmet cooks/caterers. I'm not trying to impress or keep up with the Joneses, but do want to do my part.

There is a stove/oven and also an outdoor grill. I don't want to spend all of my time cooking, but part of the delight/fun of the weekend will be the food.

What thoughts do you have? My only requests are 1) not too difficult or terribly time-consuming 2) can make a non-chef be non-embarassed, and 2) ingredients can be transferred via boat without much trouble.

Thank you so much!

Suzieque

Comments (14)

• lindac
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Blueberry pancakes, maple syrup, bacon and good coffee....doesn't get much better!
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

French toast. Nothing simpler & everyone likes it. Do you need recipes for anything or are you just looking for ideas? You could also make a fruit salad at home right before you leave & bring it.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, recipes would be great, Ginger, in addition to ideas. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

My favorite, and a favorite of the office is Woodie's Creme Brulee French Toast:

CRE BRULEE FRENCH TOAST
    (Courtesy of Arthur Schwartz, WOR Radio)
    1 Stick Butter
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    2 Tablespoons Corn Syrup
    8-10 inch round country loaf, or
    1 pound French bread or
    1 Challah
    5 eggs
    1 1/2 cups half and half
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    1 teaspoon Grand Marnier
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1. Melt butter, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over moderate heat. Pour into 9 X 13 pan.
    2. Slice bread into 6 slices and place on top of the sauce in the 9 X 13 pan, press together to fit.
    3. Whisk together eggs, half and half, Vanilla, Grand Marnier and salt. Pour over bread.
    4. Cover and chill 8 to 24 hours.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, until puffy and brown.

Or, if you are a baker, you could make homemade cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. I'm also a big fan of Ann T's cream cheese braid, it doesn't require kneading and rises in the refrigerator.

Cream Cheese Danish Coffee Cake
    ===============================
    Source: Home Cooking Magazine
    1 c sour cream
    1/2 c sugar
    1/2 c butter
    1 t. salt
    2 packages dry yeast (4 1/2 t.)
    1/2 c warm water
    2 eggs beaten
    4 c all purpose flour
    Over low heat in a small saucepan, heat butter, sour cream , sugar and salt until warm and sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
    In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix sour cream mixture with yeast and add beaten eggs and flour. Will be a very soft dough. Put in fridge overnite to rise. ( May be done same day. Put in fridge for about 2 to 4 hours, and then proceed. )
    Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 6 or 7 times. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece out to 12 X 8 inches. Spread 1/4 of filling on to each piece and roll jellyroll style from long side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on buttered baking sheet and cut X's in top. (About 6 X's) (Danish should be slightly flatten, and about 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long.
    Cover and let rise until about double in size - approximately 1 hour Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool on wire racks,
    Filling
    2 packages 8 oz. cream cheese
    3/4 c sugar
    1 egg beaten
    1 t. vanilla extract
    1/8 t. salt
    Filling: To make filling beat together cream cheese with sugar, add egg and vanilla extract and salt.
    Glaze
    2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
    1/4 c milk
    1 t. vanilla extract
    toasted sliced almonds.
    Combine the first 3 ingredients for glaze and drizzle over loaves with toasted almonds.

Have fun.

Annie

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I thought that Danish came from Taste of Home???

This can be made the night before:

COMPANY BRUNCH (serves 8-10)
    5 sourdough English muffins, split (or regular ones)
    1 cup shredded Cheddar
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1 lb breakfast sausage, cooked, drained, crumbled (or crisp bacon or chopped ham)
    12 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 cups milk
    1/3 cup chopped parsley
    1/3 cup chopped green onions with tops
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

Arrange the muffins in a buttered 9x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with the Cheddar & Swiss cheese & sausage. Beat the eggs, milk, parsley & green onions in a bowl until mixed. Pour over the prepared layers. Chill, covered with foil for 8-10 hours. Sprinkle w/the mushrooms. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 50 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.~~From Texas Ties

SAUSAGE COFFEE CAKE (serves 6)
    1 lb ground pork sausage
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 tsp Tabasco
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 TBL chopped parsley
    1 cup biscuit mix
    3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 egg yolk
    1 TBL water

Cook sausage & onion until sausage is browned. Drain well. Add cheeses, egg, Tabasco, salt & parsley. Set aside. Combine biscuit mix, milk & mayo to make a batter. Spread 1/2 of batter into a greased 9" square baking pan. Spread sausage mixture over batter. Pour remaining batter over top. Combine egg yolk & water & brush over batter. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm~~Food for Thought

FABULOUS FRENCH TOAST (serves 4)
    1 loaf unsliced white or French bread
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup vegetable oil (or half butter & half oil)
    Confectioners' sugar for garnish
    Maple syrup

Cut the bread into 3/4" thick slices. Heat the milk in a saucepan; add the sugar, stirring to dissolve. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Add the eggs, vanilla & salt; mix well. Dip each slice of bread into the milk mixture until well coated. Place in a flat baking dish & pour the remaining liquid over the bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
    In a heavy skillet, fry the bread in very hot oil until golden on broth sides. Sprinkle w/confectioners' sugar. Serve hot w/maple syrup.~~Peachtree Bouquet

CHEESE STRATA (serves 6)
    10 slices white bread
    8 oz sliced chedar
    4 oz diced ham
    6 eggs
    3 cups milk
    Salt to tste
    1 stick butter, melted
    1 tsp prpared mustard
    2-4 TBL finely chopped onion

Oil a 13x9" casserole or baking dish. Using a biscuit cutter (or use a glass), cut circles out of the bread slices. Set the circles aside for the top of the casserole & fit the scraps of bread into the prepared dish. Cuver the bread scraps w/cheese slices & sprinkle w/the ham. Arrange the bread circles on top.
    Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl. whisk in the milk, salt, butter & onion. Pour over the casserole, cover w/plastic wrap & refrigerate overnight.
    Remove the dish from the refrigerator & preheat the oven to 350°. Bake uncovered 1 hour until puffed & golden. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.~~America Discovered Columbus

GRAPE SALAD (serves 8-10)
    1 lb red grapes
    1 lb green grapes
    8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    8 oz container sour cream
    1 TBL vanilla
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup chopped pecans

Place grapes in a large serving bowl. Combien cream cheese & granulated sugar, stirring well. Combine sour cream & vanilla in a separate bowl.
    Combine cream cheese mixture & sour cream mixture. Add to grapes, stirring well. Top w/brown sugar & pecans (do nut stir.) Cover & chill overnight.~~What Can I Bring?

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

These are really good & easy to make:
    Raspberry Love Muffins (posted by Marlen)

2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 heaping cup white chocolate chips
    1 stick softened butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 Tablespoon finely grated orange zest
    1/2 cup milk
    2 cups fresh or unsweetened frozen raspberries

Sift flour with baking powder and mix in the white chocolate chips; set aside.
    With an electric mixer, beat softened butter with sugar until light and fluffy, add vanilla and orange zest. Mix in dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with milk. Fold in raspberries. Do not overmix.
    Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tins.

BEST EVER BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (makes 16)
    6 TBL butter, softened
    1 1/4 cup + 2 tsp sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup milk
    1 pint blueberries, washed & drained

Preheat oven to 375°. Cream the butter with 1 1/4 cups sugar. Add the eggs, 1 at a time & beat well. Whisk together the flour, salt & baking powder & add to the egg mixture alternately w/the milk. (Don't overmix - some lumps are fine.)
    Reserve 1/2 cup blueberries; dry the remaining berries wery well w/paper towels. Crush the 1/2 cup berries with a fork & mix them into the batter by hand. Fold in the remaining berries. Grease the flat tops of two 8 cup muffin pans & place paper cups in each well. Fill 7/8 full. Sprinkle with 2 tsp sugar. Bake 30 minutes before removing from pan. Store uncovered or they will be too moist the 2nd day.~~Clock Wise Cuisine

• suzieque
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are fabulous! Everything sounds delicious. Thank you all so much. Yum!

Suzieque

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

This is a great overnight casserole. Very easy and always a hit.

Overnight Breakfast Casserole

2 Lb package frozen Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 Lb cooked crumbled sausage (breakfast or Italian)
    2 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
    8-10 eggs
    3 Cupmilk
    S & P to taste

Spray 9 X 13 dish with cooking spray. Mix potatoes and onions, salt and pepper together and place in pan. Then spread sausage on top, then cheese. Beat eggs and milk (S & P) together and pour over other ingredients in pan, cover and set in refrigerator overnight.
    Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350

Other easy but impressive breakfasts are , bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese, selection of fresh fruits and a banana or date loaf.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Chase, I was hoping you'd post your eggs!

Sharon's Eggs

I made the neatest eggs for breakfast on Saturday. I got this recipe/idea from Canadian Living and would highly recommend it anytime you are trying to put a hot breakfast on for a large group. So simple.....

Spray a muffin tin (deep one works best) with cooking spray.

Warm the required number of small flour tortillas in the microwave or oven(optional - I skipped the pre-warming). Gently press a tortilla into each of the muffin "spots".

Crack an egg into each one. Sprinkle with chopped peppers, or green onions or sprinkle grated cheese on top. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with salsa on the side. I made 12 of these in one tin and they were great. This would be a great breakfast dish when you have a houseful of company.

APPLE PUFFED PANCAKE

6 eggs
    1-1/2 cups milk
    1 cup flour
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 lb. butter
    2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    3 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In blender (or large bowl) mix eggs, milk, flour, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt and cinnamon until blended. (If using a mixer, batter will remain slightly lumpy.) Melt butter in a 12 inch quiche dish or a 13 x 9 glass dish in the oven. Add the apple slices to the dish and return to the oven until the butter sizzles. Do not let brown. Remove the dish from the oven and immediately pour the batter over the apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake in the middle of the oven 20 minutes or until puffed and brown. Serve immediately.

6-8 servings.
    From Marlene Soroskys Cookery for Entertaining

Both of the following recipes are from this very Recipe Exchange - but I don't see Linda or Roselin posting right now, so I'll post them - I have made them both often and together for lunch and they're really good.

SO LONG SUB
    (Linda in Tennessee)

The bread you hollow out to make room for the robust meat-and-cheese filling is great for making salad croutons.
    Source: Better Homes and Gardens

1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
    1 8-ounce or 1/2 of a 16-ounce loaf unsliced French bread
    6 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
    4 to 6 ounces thinly sliced lean pastrami
    2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
    1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1. In a small bowl, combine basil, oil, and vinegar; set aside.
    2. Slice bread in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. In the shell layer half the cheese, all the pastrami, and all the tomatoes.
    Top with basil mixture; sprinkle with pepper. Top with remaining cheese and bread top. Wrap in heavy foil. Transport in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
    Makes 4 to 6 main-dish servings.

Roselin's Spinach Topped French Bread

1 10 oz pk chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2c shredded Cheddar Cheese
    2c shredded` Mozzarella cheese
    1/2c butter, melted
    1 loaf French Bread cut in half lengthwise

Combine first 5 ingedients in a large bowl; stir well. Spread mixture evenly on bread halves. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake uncovered at 350° for15 minutes or until cheese melts.
    Yield: 8 servings
    From America's Best Recipes
    RL`

I think a lunch spread of various sausages and keilbasi, olives, cheeses, bread and crackers, hummus, roasted peppers, etc., etc. is always popular and only requires slicing and opening some containers and making a pretty presentation.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Woodie , I forgot all about those! Thanks for posting. Having a crowd up Labour Day and that will be on the menu.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Ginger, the source Ann T lists is "Home Cooking", I find a lot of recipes are similar, bordering on identical, in various publications so there might be the same thing, or nearly the same, in "Taste of Home".

No matter where that recipe came from, it's easy and good.

Annie

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

The titles of the source are similar but the recipe is exactly the same as the one on page 231 of the 1996 Taste of Home Annual. I realize that Taste of Home doesn't have the cachet of other publications but they obviously have some good recipes. ;)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Ginger, Taste of Home does have some good recipes. My daughter likes the magazine a lot, she has two children under the age of 5 and is still learning to cook for a family. Taste of Home has enough "basic" recipes that she doesn't feel overwhelmed and many that are quick and easy for when she's in a hurry, which is a lot of the time, LOL.

Her "better half", David, is a very basic meat and potatoes kind of guy and happily eats the stuff that he's familiar with, but he doesn't like anything at all different. I made that braid once with apple filling and added some spices to the dough and he refused it as "too spicy"!! Sweet dough, cream cheese and blueberries, those are all familiar foods and so he's happy.

Since the original poster wanted something that wasn't too complicated or time consuming and didn't require a lot of ingredients given her circumstances, this recipe came to mind.

Annie

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Annie: You don't have to justify posting the recipe. I never said it wasn't a good recipe & I'm not one who ever thought or said Taste of Home was bad. Quite the contrary.