Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spyro_gw

LOOKING for: Hot dog chili(sauce)

spyro
15 years ago

I did a search on this site and didn't find anything. I am looking for a recipe for the chili they put on hot dogs in diners, hot dog carts, ect.

It's got real finely chopped meat in a sauce. I tried putting my own chili on the dog, and it's ok, but not the same.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You missed this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot dogs

• spyro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did see that, but, when I caught the word sweet, I never bothered to open the thread.
    There are some good one here. I will pick one and try it.
    Thanks.
    And thanks to the recipe suppliers of that thread.

• heyreub
    15 years ago

Here's my hot dog chili sauce that I've been making for years.

1/2 cup onion -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 pound ground pork
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/3 cup chili powder
    3 teaspoons cumin
    16 ounces tomato sauce
    4 ounces ketchup
    2 tablespoons yellow mustard
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Put ground meats and onion in a large pot, crumble, and lightly brown. Cover with water and cook uncovered for about one hour. Grind with a submersable food grinder (baton blender), or a food processor. Add the remaining Ingredients and simmer for two hours. Make as thick or thin as you like by adding water. Freeze in small containers or use two muffin pans (24 units) and place frozen units in ziplock bags. One muffin tin will cover 4-6 chili dogs when defrosted. The secret of this chile is the thin consistency of the sauce, not too coarse.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

If I recall from that thread correctly, the real secret is to boil the hamburger meat. That's what makes it that chili dog texture.
    My hotdog chili meat has always been lumpy and I'm going to boil it next time.

• heyreub
    15 years ago

Boiling is key for the texture but to make it fine, like restaurants, pool halls, and hot dog stands, you must use a blender to make it small granules. It just does not taste right when the meat is thick and lumpy.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Hand-held potato mashers work to break it up finely.

• shambo
    15 years ago

Thanks for bringing the subject up again. I want to try a couple of the recipes. I bet the sauce makes great chili burgers too. I've almost run out of the chili sauce from Original Tommy's in Los Angles that my cousin sent me. Now I can try my hand at making my own.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Hey Heyreub, your not too far from me! I'm in Seneca, SC. (Clemson) Anyway, your recipe sounds great and I'll give it a try next time.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

If you mix the meat and water together in my recipe (from the Aiken, SC pool hall)and stir it well while heating to a boil, the resulting meat will be in very fine particles and you will not need to buzz with a blender or food processor.

Teresa

• Bev Cashen
    15 years ago

If you mix the meat with cold water it will break up into fine pieces, or you can break it up as you are cooking in the pan, then transfer to a strainer and simply run HOT water over the meat. It will break up very fine.

Here is my recipe for HOT DOG CHILI:

This makes about 1 1/2 quarts of chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 pounds ground beef
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Accent
    3 cups chopped yellow onions (fine)
    2 cups chopped celery (fine)
    1 cup seeded and chopped green bell peppers (fine)
    4 garlic cloves, peeled, diced fine
    1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup water

Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring, until all the pink disappears. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and one tablespoon of the chili powder and mix well. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, over very low heat for at least two hours and as long as three hours. Combine the remaining one tablespoon chili powder with the flour in a small bowl and blend well, then add the water and stir to mix. Add to the pot of chili and cook, stirring, for about one minute. Turn off the heat and let sit for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, before serving.

This is even better the next day.

• carlhamilton
    15 years ago

i have the old fashioned hot dog chili from years ago i use to work in a hot dog stand and the chili was really good i do have the recipe if anyone would like to have it. Mine is cooked for a long period of time with a few simple ingredients and is always a favorite the chile is smooth and the meat is very fine so drop me a line if anyone would like to have it carl_hamilton2000@yahoo.com
    everyone have a great day

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Why not just post it?

• heyreub
    15 years ago

Must be spam, doesn't reply to request for recipe.

• carl_hamilton2000_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

hey heyreub i think i sent it to you if not i will send it ok carl

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz