Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loralee_2007

RECIPE: looking for: parents 30th; coleslaw, potatoe salad

loralee_2007
13 years ago

Hi, I am planning a party for my parents 30th wedding anniversary. It will be a weekend affair (Sept 3-6th) as my parents have asked for a deck for their gift, so many of their friends have offered to help build the deck to ensure we get it done that weekend.

The main meal will be Saturday's supper, and I've planned a baby back rib dinner but need recipes for coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans or any other ideas you have.

The kicker is, we have to travel 6 hours to my parent's place, and since this is a deck party, I am looking for items I can prep in advance.

I would also appreciate ideas for "easy" breakfast & lunch suggestions. I'm thinking cereal, fresh fruit, bagels & cream cheese for breakfast. I would like to bring fresh sandwiches (pre-prepared on Friday, but I'm not sure how they would hold out by Sunday?) Would it be better to just get the sandwich ingredients and have people build their own sandwiches?

In thanks for any suggestions you give me, I'll give you the most DELICIOUS pork back rib recipe I have EVER tasted. Normally I make a recipe and then "tweak" it to the way we like. This recipe takes no tweaking whatsoever and is just drop dead to die for.

Mrs. Proffit's Sauce (from Popular Plates BBQ Magazine)

3 C ketchup

1/3 C canola oil

1/3 C cider vinegar

1/4 C sugar

1/4 C dark molasses

1/2 C minced onion

1 T minced garlic

1/4 C Worcestershire sauce

1 T yellow mustard

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Cook on low 20 minutes and let cool 1 hr before using. This last step is important for flavors to blend.

Preheat oven to 275 (convection) or 300 (regular oven). Divide ribs into 3 or 4 ribs/section, spread a small amount of sauce into bottom of oven dish. Layer ribs, coating each rib with a liberal amount of sauce.

Cook in oven for 3 hours, then lightly grill on the BBQ or on Broil for 2 minutes each side.

Thanks for your help.

Lora

Comments (2)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are a couple of make ahead salad recipes.

COPPER PENNY SALAD

4 cups sliced carrots-----------------cook 10 minutes in salted water
    2 medium thinly sliced onions
    1 medium diced green pepper
    1-10 oz. can tomato soup
    ½ cup oil
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. worchestershire sauce
    ½ tsp. salt

To cooked carrots add onions and peppers. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over vegetables. Let stand 1 day
    Will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

BEAN SALAD

Drain in a colander, in orderÂ

1 can of Kidney beans, 1 can cut of yellow beans, 1 can of cut green beans
    OptionalÂyou can add a can of chick peas.

1 small to medium red or white onion cut in ringsÂvery necessary as they add flavor to the salad

Dressing

½ cup white or red wine vinegar
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup salad oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp dried basil (2 if itÂs fresh) 1 tbsp. prepared mustard

Mix together and pour over beans and onions. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight before using. Keeps for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

A couple of make ahead breakfast recipes. You make them up the night before and pop them in the oven in the morning.Both use bread cut into cubes

CHRISTMAS MORNING WIFE SAVER
    6 cups bread cubes
    1 1/2 cups of 1/2 inch ham cubes
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    1-1/2 cups shredded chedar cheese
    6 eggs beaten
    1-1/2 cups milk or buttermilk
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Generously grease a 9x13 pan. Spread half of the bread in the bottom of the pan. Scatter the onions and hamon top. Sprinkle on the cheese. Cover with the remaining bread crumbs.

Beat eggs until they are frothy. Add milk, salt and pepper. Blend well. Pour evenly over bread. Cover tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate over night. In the morning, remove from refrigerator while the oven is heating. Bake @350 for 1 hour. This recipe is very forgiving. The bread, cheese, egg and milk must stay the same but you can add anything you would use in an omelet to the inner layer.

APPLE FRENCH TOAST

10 slices day old french bread--I have used raisin bread--very good
    6 eggs lightly beaten
    2/3/4 cups milk
    2/3 cups sugar (divided)
    1 tbsp. vanilla
    4 medium apples-peeled and thinly sliced.
    2 tbsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1 tbsp. butter or margarine

Arrange the bread to cover completely the bottom of a well greased 9x13 pan. Combine eggs, milk, half the sugar and vanilla. Pour half over the bread. Combine the rest of the sugar with the spices. Layer on the apples sprinkling with half the sugar mixture. Pour over this the rest of the egg mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the sugar mix.

Cover tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator while the oven is heating. Bake uncovered @350 for 1 hour or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean

One of these is usually standard fare in our house Christmas morning.

A few hints for you.
    If you are bringing hot dishes a crock pot is ideal. It can be plugged in as soon as you get there.

If it's hot a square tinfoil roaster filled with ice makes an ideal holder for salads and things you want to keep cool

Deligate certain chores to other family members--don't try to do everything yourself.

Good luck--I hope everything goes well

• kathleenca
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds as though you're going to have a good time - almost like an old-time barn raising. It's nice of you to do this for your folks. Have fun!

Here's my tried & true cole slaw dressing. I think coleslaw always tastes better made at least a couple hours ahead to give the flavors time to meld. I also think slaw is better when not swimming in dressing.

Coleslaw dressing
    enough for 1/3 - 1/2 head of cabbage

1/3 c mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1 Tbsp vinegar
    2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1.2 tsp celery seed

Stir until sugar dissolves.

I like this potato salad. Secrets to good potato salad include not cooking the potatoes too soft, & to sprinkle the warm potatoes with vinegar; it really adds to the flavor.

Best Potato Salad Ever
    From Country Living
    No kidding! (And no peeling!) It's all about the red potatoes; their waxy texture keeps the spuds intact as you mix everything together.

3 pound(s) unpeeled red potatoes
    3/4 cup(s) chopped white onion
    3/4 cup(s) chopped red pepper
    3/4 cup(s) chopped celery
    1/2 cup(s) finely chopped dill pickles
    3 chopped, hard-boiled large eggs
    2 tablespoon(s) dill pickle juice
    1 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar
    3/4 cup(s) mayonnaise
    Salt
    Freshly ground pepper

In a large pot, cover red potatoes with salted cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until they're easily pierced with a skewer, about 40 minutes.
    Meanwhile, combine white onion, red pepper, celery, dill pickles, and hard-boiled eggs in a large bowl.
    Drain potatoes and cut into half-inch pieces while still warm. Transfer to the bowl and sprinkle with dill pickle juice and cider vinegar. Toss salad gently with mayonnaise. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Chill before serving