Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Spanish Rice

Posted by mtcrafter (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 21:11

I like a lot of rice dishes but I'm not too fond of most of the rice they serve in Mexican-American resturants. Too dry for me. So I set out to do my own. After some initial research thru cookbooks and on the net, I found most start out by toasting the rice first in a skillet and some oil. So... here it is.

1 cup of rice- any type or your favorite.
2 tbsp olive oil
Chili Powder, paprika, red chile flakes etc. to season.
1 or 2 minced garlic cloves
1 small to med. onion, chopped
1 med sweet pepper, chopped
1 can or chopped green mild chiles or fresh ones
Also can add chopped hot ones if you want.
1 cup skinned, seeded and chopped tomatoes or diced tomatoes from a can.
1 1/2 to 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth

Place oil, rice and chili powder, paprika other seasonings into skillet and heat. Stir until rice is a light reddish brown. Then stir in onion, sweet peppers and other peppers until softened. The add in the garlic. I then put in the chicken broth (amount of liquid called for to cook the plain rice in. In my case I used a shorter grain rice that called for 1.5 cups of liquid for 1 cup of rice. It also called for cooking 15 min. instead of 20.) When the rice is cooked, stir in the tomatoes and heat thru. Taste and add any seasonings you like. Cook it to the degree of dryness you like.

The nice thing about this is I can use my garden veggies and even add more if I want. I can make it as juicy or dry as we like and as hot as we want. My husband really likes this and he is a man who usually likes his rice with cream, sugar and cinnamon!!!

Ann in Montana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Spanish Rice

OMG I haven't made Spanish rice in a while and it is a family favorite. I like how yours is reading - I toast my rice too. I also toss in smoked paprika and cumin - the smoked stuff really kicks it up for us.

o

A nice twist is to replace the olive oil with Achiote Oil!

o

Thank you for the recipe contribution!

This dish is delicious and a wonderful way to use an abundance of fresh peppers and large juicy garden tomatoes. I love the flavor of the browned rice in chili powder and olive oil. Next time I will brown the rice more to intensify the flavor. I included fresh ground black pepper and chopped parsley in my dish.

Abbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here