Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finchelover

RECIPE: loking for yellow squash recipe -no eggs

finchelover
14 years ago

i would like a squash recipe either fried,casserole but I prefer no eggs.

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

SAUTEED SQUASH MEDLEY (serves 6)
    3 TBL olive oil
    1 lb zucchini, thinly sliced
    1 lb yellow squash, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup V-8 juice
    1 tsp sugar

Saute squashes, onion & garlic in oil over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. Add green onions, pepper, juice & sugar & mix well. Cover & simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, approximately 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.~~You're Invited

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

SWEET & SOUR SQUASH (serves 8 )
    4 small zucchini
    4 small yellow squash
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 red onion, chopped fine
    1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
    1 cup sherry wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Slice the zucchini & yellow squash paper-thin into a large shallow bowl. Add the celery, red onion & bell pepper. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil & stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour the dressing over the vegetables while still hot. Cover & marinate at room temperature or chill overnight. Drain & serve.~~

• bobbie56
    14 years ago

I have an abundance of yellow squash right now so here is a recipe I tried yesterday. It was very good. I will make it again. I couldn't find the instant corn bread stuffing mix so I used a small box of corn bread muffin mix with Stove Top Savory Stuffing and that is what I will use again next time. I also used more cheese for the topping. Everyone went back for more.

Squash Stuffing Casserole

3/4 cups water
    1/4 tsp salt
    6 cups sliced yellow summer squash
    1 small onion sliced
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 cup sour cream
    1 pkg instant corn bread stuffing mix
    1 can 4 ounce chopped green chilies
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add the squash and onion. Reduce the heat; cover and cook until the squash is crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. drain well; set aside. In a bowl, combine soup, sour cream, stuffing and the contents of the seasoning packet, chilies, salt and pepper, mix well. Fold in the squash mixture. Pour into a greased shallow 2-qt baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.

If you have any leftovers they can be frozen.

Casserole Cooking
    Taste of Home Books

• annova914
    14 years ago

There is a restaurant in Morehead City, NC called Mrs. Willis' that makes the best yellow squash casserole. I've tried to recreate it using this recipe (can't remember where I found it...but it's not from Mrs. Willis because her recipe is a family secret). To me, the crunchy, buttery breadcrumbs on top and the creamcheese are what make it so good.

Yellow Squash Casserole

4 to 5 lbs yellow squash, sliced
    1 onion, chopped
    1 tsp sugar
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup water
    3 pckgs (8 oz each) cream cheese
    4 Tbsps butter
    Buttered bread crumbs for topping

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine squash, onion, sugar, salt, pepper and water in large covered saucepan; cook until vegetables are tender. Drain vegetables, reserving liquid. Mash a bit and drain again.

Beat the cream cheese with a little reserved liquid until it is the consistency of whipped cream. Add butter to squash and stir until melted. Pour squash into buttered shallow 3 qt casserole and cover with cream cheese mixture. Lightly mix the cream cheese mixture into squash.

Cover with bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly (and bread crumbs are crunchy). Serves 10-12.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations