Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Berry Pancakes

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 19:57

Here's the recipe for those wonderful blueberry pancakes. We didn't care for the raspberry syrup but the pancakes were light and creamy. Next time I make them I'll use regular syrup and/or powdered sugar (my favorite).

Berry Pancakes

cup lukewarm water (105 to 115 degrees)
One (-oz) pkg active dry yeast
2 Tbsps plus 1 tsp sugar
2 cups flour
tsp salt
4 Tbsps unsalted butter
1-1/4 cups milk
2 large eggs at room temp
1 pint blueberries

Syrup:
1 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup raspberries, plus more for garnish

In a glass measuring cup, combine the warm water, yeast and 1 tsp sugar; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, remaining 2 Tbsps sugar and the salt. In a medium bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in the milk and microwave for 30 seconds more. Stir the milk mixture and the yeast mixture into the dry ingredients until almost smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temp until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Beat the eggs, then mix into the batter. In a small saucepan, warm the maple syrup over low heat. Add the raspberries and mash with a fork.
Heat a griddle or large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Spoon cupfuls of batter onto the griddle. Sprinkle a few blueberries onto each pancake and cook until bubbles appear on the surface, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Flip and cook until springy to the touch, about 30 seconds more. Repeat with remaining batter and blueberries. Serve with the raspberry syrup.

Source: Every Day with Rachael Ray June-July 2008

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Berry Pancakes

Thanks, Ann! Ken loves blueberry pancakes and I rarely make them, poor guy.

What is the texture like? Are they really different from regular pancakes? Very intriguing to me as I've never had an occasion to buy a package of yeast in my life!

o

Well, I'm not crazy about pancakes because usually they're too thick, heavy, and difficult for me to digest (sorta like a lead balloon??). But these pancakes were thinner, and altho' they had a slightly denser texture than regular pancakes, they were somehow lighter which I guess is due to the yeast. I had to go out and buy yeast as I was out of it at the time and all I could find were individual packets of some grist mill brand which worked fine (usually I buy the 3 packet strip). I had to cook them after the flip more than 30 seconds (but my DH said I overdid it...next time he wants them after that 30 second cooking on the second side...he doesn't want them to have any crispiness which I like :)

o

Thank you, Ken and I would both like a little crispiness and I look forward to giving these a try! Ken will think he died and went to heaven if I make him blueberry pancakes - for the third time in my whole life :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here