Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Onion Rye Bread

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 18:46

I used to make this bread to give as Christmas gifts. It's very good.

Onion Rye Bread

2 cups milk
cup sugar
4 tsp salt
cup salad oil
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 T caraway seeds
1 cup chopped onions
2-1/2 cups unsifted rye flour, approximately
cup cornmeal
2 T cream

Scald milk and add sugar, salt & oil. Cool mixture to lukewarm. Soften yeast in water & add to the milk mixture. Add white flour & mix well. Stir in caraway seeds, onion & 2 cups rye flour & mix. Turn onto surface sprinkled with remaining cup of rye flour & knead until smooth & elastic, adding enough rye flour to give a fairly stiff dough.

Place in a greased bowl, grease top, cover with a towel & let stand in a warm place until double in bulk - 1 hour.

Punch down, cover & let rise again until double in bulk. Grease three 9 x 5" loaf pans & sprinkle with cornmeal. Divide the dough into 1/3s-shaped loaves and place in pans. Brush tops with cream & sprinkle with salt. Cover with a towel & let rise in warm place until double in bulk, about one hour.

Bake at 350 deg for 1 hour or until loaves have a hollow sound when tapped. Turn out on rack to cool. Makes 3 loaves.

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Onion Rye Bread

Ann,
This sound absolutely delicious! I had posted a request for an onion bread recipe--never thought of anything except unbleached flour. I'll get some rye flour this week and try your recipe. Thanks so much for posting it!
Do you think it would be successful as three round loaves rather than baked in loaf pans?

o

I'm not sure (I'm not much of a bread baker...just do it occasionally). I wonder if they would bake faster in the round pans since the dough would be spread out a bit more than in the loaf pans?? You'd need to keep an eye on them probably.

As soon as the weather cools I plan to make this bread, now that I've been looking over this recipe. One loaf I like to slice while it's still warm so the butter melts on it - it is very good :)

o

annova914, I have a neighbor who no longer cooks, and she keeps looking for a good rye bread that is "chewy" (here word). Could your recipe be it?

o

Hmmm...it's been a while since I've made and eaten this bread...but I do know that it does have good texture (i.e., it is not soft and squishy :) so I guess I'd say it's chewy. It's good plain with butter, or as a sandwich, or toasted. Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here