Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamhouse1_gw

recipe: looking for: savory saltine recipe

dreamhouse1
16 years ago

My DH received some awesome saltines last year for Christmas and he can't remember who gave them to him. They were regular salted saltine crackers that had been 'doctored'. They were buttery, herb-y, slightly tangy (vinegar? balsamic?), with just a little bite (red pepper flakes). Has anyone ever made or had these before? At first he seemed unimpressed by receiving a 'bag of crackers', but once he tried them - oh my, we were all fighting over them! They were just perfectly balanced with all the right flavors. It seemed that they were saltines coated in this butter mixture and then maybe 'dried' or very slightly toasted. They weren't browned at all. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please, PLEASE forward a recipe! THANKS!!

Comments (12)

• jimtex
    16 years ago

A guy at work brought something that sounds the same to work this week and they were great. I'll ask him to get his wife to write down how she did it and I'll post it here.
    James

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

James, Thanks so much, that will be great. I'll be watching for it!

• lindac
    16 years ago

Used to do that with oyster crackers....we called them Hairy Fish Nuts. I googled that and got lots of strange stuff.
    It was melted butter drizzled over the oyster crackers and tossed with a variety of stuff....depending on what recipe you were using. Dry Ranch dressing mix was a basis for one recipe....as well as other stuff.
    Linda C

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

This is one I make, and preparing this Sunday afternoon snacks for family gathering.

Herbed cheese crackers
    2 (10 1/2-ounce) boxes cheese crackers
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 (1-ounce) package salad dressing mix (recommended: Hidden Valley Original Ranch)
    1 heaping tablespoon dried dill
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon celery salt

Place the crackers in a large sealable freezer container. In a bowl, mix the oil, salad dressing mix, dill, garlic powder, and celery salt. Pour this mixture over the crackers, cover the container, and invert it to coat the crackers with seasoning. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, turning the container every so often to keep the crackers coated. Let the mixture come to room temperature before serving. Store in the covered container in refrigerator.

• lindac
    16 years ago

That's it!!....only I didn't use cheese crackers.
    Linda C

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Not a pro like you Linda C, but my recipe is well appreciated :o)

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

Jim,

That sounds really yummy. I make the seasoned oyster crackers for snacks around our house, now I will have to try your recipe:)

Stacie

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, I would never have guessed ranch dressing either or that they were just coated and not baked. I'll give it a try and see if they are what we had. From one Texan to another, "Thanks, ya'll".

• jimtex
    16 years ago

I just finished make a batch and they did not turn out like the ones at work. The mixture was so oily that whatever crackers it hit first it stuck to. I'm going to let it sit like Glenda says and see what happens.

• dreamhouse1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jim, I think the crackers we received had the mixture brushed on because the edges weren't covered, just tops and bottoms. Also, they were very uniform, not like they had been tossed or mixed. I am hopeful that the Christmas chef of yesteryear will return again this year and I will be sure to see the tag and request the recipe!!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

This is a variation. We had them at the first Cooking Forum Camp, they were brought by Julie. I have been a hero every time I have brought them as an appetizer. To everyone's amazement, they aren't greasy.

The trick is to put them a ZipLoc in the refrigerator and keep turning the bag for at least a day.

Herbed Cheese and Cracker Bits
    Julie from Cooking Forum
    2 packages of Ritz Bits cheese crackers (the round mini-sandwich crackers but not peanut butter)
    1/2 C. corn oil
    1 (1 oz.) package of powdered Hidden Valley Ranch (original)
    1 heaping T. Dry Dill Weed
    1 t. garlic powder
    1/2 t. celery salt

Place crackers in a reseal able bag. In a measuring cup mix oil, salad dressing mix, dill, garlic and celery salt. Pour this mixture over crackers, turning to coat. Refrigerate for 24 hours turning bag several times to redistribute oil mixture. Let crackers come to room temperature before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. They last awhile--if you have any leftovers!