Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire44_gw

RECIPE: looking for: tomato basil soup recipe

claire44
13 years ago

I love tomato basil soup and I'd love to make it myself. Any help with a recipe would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (5)

• roselin32
    13 years ago

One you will like!
    Tomato Basil Soup
    8c pureed tomatoes, simmer for 30 minutes.
    Add:
    1 can chicken broth
    1/2c butter`
    1/2 pint whipping cream
    6T minced fresh basil
    Simmer 15-20 minutes.
    Serve topped with Parmesan Cheese`

• lindac
    13 years ago

Here's mine:
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 large clove fresh garlic
    1 T. butter
    1 T olive oil
    Sweat the vegetables in the butter and oil in a 4 qt heavy pan until soft but not browned.
    6 tomatoes, or amount to equal 5 cups
    1 qt chicken broth (home made is best...boxed if you must)
    1/2 tsp ground dry hatch chilis
    2 T chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup chiffonade of fresh basil.
    Peel and chop the tomatoes and add to the pot with the veggies, stir and cook until all it warm and beginning to yield the juice. Add the chili powder and the chicken broth to the pot and simmer until all is thoroughly cooked, about an hour.
    Taste for seasoning, add salt if necessary and perhaps lemon if the tomatoes are very sweet....or a teaspoon of sugar if too sour.
    Add the chopped herbs, remove from the heat and tril until well wilted and serve.
    Linda C

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

Here are some that I like.

Le MadeleineÂs Tomato Basil Soup

--4 cups (8 to 10) tomatoes, peeled, cored, chopped or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
    --4 cups tomato juice or mix of juice with vegetable or chicken stock
    --12-14 washed basil leaves
    --1 cup whipping cream
    --1/2 cup butter (1 whole stick)
    --Salt & Pepper

Combine tomatoes and juice in a large pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Cool then put into blender or food processor along with basil to puree. Return to pan and add cream and butter over low heat to warm. Add salt and pepper to taste. Will serve approximately 6 to 8 people.

**I use this basic recipe, but I include a couple of cloves of minced garlic. Also, I do not put the tomato-basil mixture into the blender. I prefer the texture of the soup with chunks of tomatoes and basil. I also add both freshly ground black and white pepper along with the salt. Also, I have substituted the tomato juice with V-8 juice. It is whatever you prefer.

My version:

LINDAÂS CHUNKY TOMATO BASIL SOUP

--4 cups (8 to 10) tomatoes chopped or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes
    --4 cups tomato juice or V-8 juice (you can use spicy if you like a little heat)
    --1/4 cup finely cut sweet yellow onion
    --2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
    --12-14 washed & dried basil leaves, chiffonade
    --1 cup heavy whipping cream
    --1/2 cup butter (1 whole stick)
    --Kosher Salt
    --Freshly ground white & black Pepper

Combine tomatoes, juice, onion and garlic in a large pan and simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Add basil, cream and butter and continue to heat over low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve with hot crusty French bread.

CHILLED TOMATO BASIL SOUP

2 cups chopped onion
    2 TBL butter, melted
    2 cups peeled, seeded & cubed cucumbers
    3 cups peeled, cored & cubed tomatoes
    3 fresh basil leaves (or more) or 1 tsp dried
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups plain yogurt
    Salt to taste
    1 tsp chopped fresh mint ot to taste

Sauté the onion in butter 10 minutes. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, basil & broth. Cook, stirring frequently for 30 minutes. Remove from heat & cool. Puree the cooked mixture in a blender. Pour into a bowl & blend in the yogurt & salt. Chill thoroughly. Serve garnished with mint.

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

This first one is my version of a TB Soup served ata restaurant near me. Theirs is the best I have ever tasted. I am still tweaking to get it exactly right, but this comes close!

Tomato Basil Soup
    (Inspired by CarolÂs Restaurant, Blaine MN)

I Tsp olive Oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 28oz can Muir Glen Whole peeled tomatoes
    1 28oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Basil
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    Pepper
    2 tsp sugar
    1-1/2 c chicken stock
    2 T tomato paste
    1/4 c chopped fresh basil
    1/3 c fresh grated parmesan
    2T dry red wine

Heat olive oil in large dutch oven, saute onion 1 minute or until tender.

With fingers, squish whole tomatoes until chunky. Add both cans of tomatoes to onions, bring to a simmer. Add salt, pepper, sugar, chicken stock and tomato paste. Simmer for 7-10 minutes. Add basil, parmesan and wine, cook until heated through.

This one from Ina is very good, too! Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved Yield: 6 to 8 servings 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil 1 tablespoon kosher salt 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions) 6 garlic cloves, minced 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes 1 (28\-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, with their juice 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves 1 quart chicken stock or water Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes. In an 8\-quart stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven\-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade. Taste for seasonings. Serve hot or cold. Linda
  • flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

In my daughters restaurant, when she heats one serving, she adds a small piece of creme cheese. Pretty darn good!!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource