Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlingardener

LOOKING for: Onion bread recipe

marlingardener
15 years ago

I have searched the web for a good onion bread recipe and keep coming up with bread with onions on top. Does anyone have a recipe that has chopped, sweated onions IN the bread? If so, I'd dearly love to have it.

Comments (6)

• lindac
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just use any recipe for a basic bread and after the2 nd rising...pat it out as you would for cinnamon rolls and spread your cooked onions on it and roll it up. Seal the edges and bake! Not good for sandwiches...but yummy other wise.
    Oh and I sprinkle the onions with grated parmesan cheese before rolling.
    Years ago, I would make a recipe for dinner rolls using4 cups of flour and add a package of Liptons onion soup mix..
    Everyone raved but I thought itw as awfully salty!
    Linda C

• cynic
    15 years ago

Not what you're looking for but I'll give it to you anyway. This doesn't have sweated onions, rather it uses dried onions, but they go in, not on top of the bread. Also it's for a bread machine but I'm sure it could be oven baked.

Onion Egg Bread

2-1/4 t yeast
    1 T sugar
    3 C bread flour
    4 T powdered milk
    3 T onion flakes (I mixed it with the water to rehydrate a bit)
    2 T butter
    1-1/2 t poppy seeds
    1 C water
    1 t salt (I used a touch less salt)
    1 large egg
    1 t lemon juice

Place all ingredients in machine as directed by your machines instructions and start. Do not use with the timed cycle due to its perishable ingredients.

This was very good with a nice onion flavor but wasn't overpowering. Went well with both beef and pork. I imagine you could use sweated onions. I thought about trying very thinly sliced, diced mild onion in there. I thought that should be good but the dried is so handy!

• maxmom96
    15 years ago

Years ago I would make Onion Lover's Twist, a recipe that won a big prize in the Pillsbury Bake-Off. A filling of onions, sesame seeds, paprika, and Parmesan cheese was cooked in butter, then sealed into the ropes that formed a braid. It also is a soft bread, certainly not suitable for sandwiches.

I'm not handy with computers, so I don't know how to add the link to the forum, but if you Google Onion Lover's Twist it's there.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I have this one, I love it and it was given to me by Readinglady on Harvest. It's a King Arthur Flour recipe, from their Baking Sheet.

I've included all three methods, I use the bread machine to make it, but it can be done with a stand mixer or by hand, as described in the recipe.

Braided Onion Loaf

This makes one giant (18-inch) braid, or make two smaller loaves, if you like. Soft and tender, rather than crisp and chewy, it's a nice addition to a dinner breadbasket.
    Dough

3/4 cup (6 ounces) hot-from-the-tap water
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) milk
    4 1/4 cups (18 1/2 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces) sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons instant yeast
    1/4 cup (2 ounces) butter or vegetable oil
    1 egg

Filling
    1/4 cup (2 ounces) butter, melted
    2 cups (8 ounces) finely chopped onions, OR 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) instant minced onions
    1 teaspoon garlic powder OR 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 cup (1 1/4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, grated

Topping
    1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water
    3 tablespoons poppy, sesame, caraway or mixed seeds

Manual Method: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all of the dough ingredients, stirring till the mixture starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it's smooth and supple. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.

Mixer Method: Combine the ingredients as directed in the previous paragraph, using a flat beater paddle or beaters, then switching to the dough hook(s) and kneading for 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, till it's puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk.

Bread Machine Method: Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your machine, program the machine for manual or dough, and press Start. Take a look at the dough about 10 minutes before the end of the final kneading cycle, and adjust its consistency with additional water or flour, as necessary, to produce a smooth, supple dough. Allow the machine to complete its cycle.

Filling: In a medium-sized saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until the onions are soft and golden brown. Remove the pan from the stove, allow it to cool to lukewarm, then stir in the paprika and cheese. Set it aside.

Assembly: Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled or lightly floured work surface. Roll it into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle, and cut it lengthwise into three 18 x 4-inch strips. Place a row of filling down the middle of each strip. Fold the strips over, use the heel of your hand to seal the edges, then roll into logs, sealing the ends. This is a very extensible (stretchy) dough; the logs will try to become VERY long as you roll them, but try to keep them within a few inches of their original length.

Braid the logs and place the braid on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover lightly and allow the loaf to rise for 1 hour. Beat the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water and brush the loaf all over with the egg wash. Sprinkle it with the seeds of your choice.

Bake the braid in a preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until it's deep brown and sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into a thick part of the bread (but not into the filling) registers 200°F or higher. Remove the bread from the oven, and allow it to cool somewhat before serving. Yield: 1 large loaf.
    Note: This could easily be made into two smaller loaves. When you make your original cuts in the dough, simply make one additional crosswise cut, so you have six 9 x 4-inch rectangles (instead of three 18 x 4-inch). Proceed as directed above, making two loaves. You may want to reduce the baking time slightly.
    Nutrition
    Nutrition information per serving (1/16 of large loaf, 85g): 201 cal, 8g fat, 5g protein, 25g complex carbohydrates, 3g sugar, 1g dietary fiber, 32mg cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 104mg potassium, 75RE vitamin A, 2mg vitamin C, 2mg iron, 43mg calcium, 73mg phosphorus.

This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet (r) (Vol. XI, No. 4, Spring 2000 issue). The Baking Sheet is a newsletter published six times a year by The Baker's Catalogue(r), P.O. Box 876, Norwich, Vermont 05055. (The Baking Sheet and The Baker's Catalogue are both registered trademarks of The Baker's Catalogue, Inc.)

Annie

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, I think you have it! Thank you for posting the recipe--I know it isn't all that interesting to write it all down, but I do thank you. I'll try the braided onion loaf Monday, my regular baking day and I'll make two smaller loaves.
    I have copied the other recipes offered, and will try them also. I have a friend with a bread machine, and I'll give her the one for machine bread to see how it turns out. I sure appreciate all the recipes--more on this site than I could find on a search engine. Hurrah for GardenWeb!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

marlingardener, you are so welcome. I hope you like this as much as I do, and now I'm thinking it's about time to make it again.

Annie