Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jomoncon

LOOKING for: Homemade Pasta Recipes

Jo-Ann M
14 years ago

I just got a pasta machine. I've wanted one for quite a while, but just got around to getting one. I've looked around the web for recipes & found a ton of them - all slightly different. Some add water, some add oil, some add neither, just flour, salt & eggs.

Does anyone have a tried & true recipe for making homemade pasta?

Jo-Ann

Comments (8)

• pat_t
    14 years ago

This is the one we used in culinary school.

HOMEMADE PASTA

1 kg flour
    2 Tblsp. olive oil
    2 whole eggs
    600g egg yolks (about 30)

Mix until just coming together (in a mixer or food processor). Wrap well and rest in refrigerator at least 30 minutes (or as long as overnight). Roll out and flour really well. Store in freezer.

• lindac
    14 years ago

do you have an extruder machine or a roller?
    The kind of recipe you use for each is different.
    Linda c

• Jo-Ann M
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The machine is a roller. I'm anxious to give it a try.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

I'm glad you posted this pasta I am also looking for a true pasta recipe because my family really loves pasta dishes. I want to learn how to make it. Thanks.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

I have an extruder. I bought some Semolina but when I made macaroni shells, they fell apart after they were dry. I used two eggs, a cup of semolina, salt and enough water to make it the proper consistency for the extruder. What did I do wrong? Does making the dough ahead of time and then refrigerating it prevent this? Should I have added oil? I'd really rather not add oil if I can get by without it.

• lisbet
    14 years ago

The commercial pasta, on the grocer's shelves, is essentially made of flour, water, dried milk and salt. The commercial machinery used for kneading.....which couldn't possibly be duplicated by hand in a home kitchen. And, their drying process is also a specialized proceedure. So hard pasta, as you can buy in the package, is impossible to make in your own kitchen with your own domestic kitchen mixers and equipment.

Homemade pasta recipes have too much moisture to dry hard and solid enough! That is why home-made is so much better and has much more flavor.

When you do dry it, it becomes fagile and must be handled and stored in air-tight containers with extreme care. If you don't dry it thoroughly enough, any moisture and the egg content can cause spoilage.

I prefer freezing.

• lisbet
    14 years ago

Another really informative "How To" that may be of interest! (notice their drying rack.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Pasta With A Pasta Machine

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I've had really good luck with the instructions at the link below.

I've never made it with Semolina, but I've tried regular flour, bread flour, and 3 parts flour to 1 part resistant starch, and it's worked each time.

I have some other advice:

1. Make a half batch the first time. I've never been able to stack sheets of pasta without having them stick, and it takes up a lot of space to lay them all out by themselves.
    2. Don't cut it (leave it as a whole big sheet of pasta) until you've got the water boiling or almost boiling. It sticks even more once it's cut.
    3. As you cut it, catch it in your hand so you can keep the strands separated as much as possible, and just lay them out flat on a table or cutting board or whatever. The second you finish cutting the last sheet, get them into the water.
    4. It takes about seven seconds to cook. Seriously, though, it's sooo quick.
    5. When you move on to filled pasta, don't roll it to the thinnest-- use the second or third thinnest setting
    6. If you're not 100% sure the dough is sticking together enough, putting it through the thickest setting a bunch of times, folding it over on itself in between, helps it stick together better. If it shreds or tears, smoosh it back together and put it through again. Once you can get it to come out in a continuous sheet, you're good to go
    7. If you make filled pasta and use protein fillings like meat, simmer the pasta rather than boiling it. Boiling makes protein foods rubbery and awful.
    8. You don't really have to refrigerate the dough-- you can use it right away if you're in a hurry.
    9. For noodles, you only have to knead it until it sticks together. For filled pasta, kneading it properly will develop the gluten more and help keep it from breaking, so it's probably a good idea.

1. Use good eggs. I like to search craigslist for eggs and get them from a chicken farmer. Orange yolks= good pasta.

Happy cooking :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pasta instructions

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company