Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geraldo_linux

LOOKING for: Fried Rice

geraldo_linux
15 years ago

Greetings;

How do they make the fried rice that you get in restaurants? I luv it. I sometimes go to Chinese restaurants and eat more than my share. I tried literally frying some brown rice that I had cooked in the West Bend. It just wasn't the same. Did I just do it wrong?

I can imagine some of you are laughing right now. I would really like to be able to make it at home.

Thanks

Comments (15)

• woodie
    15 years ago

Laughing, no, just smiling because I enjoy it when I can offer a recipe that someone asks for. This one is very tried and true from my friend, Cindy5NY.

Fried Rice
    Source: Food Network

3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of kosher salt
    4 scallions (white,greens) , thinly sliced
    1/4 cup minced carrot
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger (I use a dash of ground ginger)
    1/2 cup mushrooms
    Pinch red chile flakes
    2 tablespoons soy sauce (more to taste)
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
    3 cups cooked long-grain rice
    1 cup cooked meat cut in 1/4-inch cubes, such as pork, ham, beef, or chicken
    1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted in a strainer at room temperature
    Heat 3T peanut or vegetable oil over high heat. Add the scallions and carrots and stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, mushrooms, and chile, stir-fry for 1 minute more. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and rice and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the meat, peas, cook til heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Push all to the side of skillet, cook eggs til firm, stir into rice. Serve immediately.

• annova914
    15 years ago

My recipe for fried rice is basically the same as woodie2's except I cook the egg first (first flavor the beaten egg with a bit of salt, pepper and garlic powder) by letting it cook over very low heat & then flip it carefully, so that it's flat. When I remove it from the skillet, I cut it in strips which I add at the end of making the fried rice. This is so delicious. I just made this 2 nights ago as we had a lot of leftover white steamed rice from ordering Chinese delivery. Usually I make it by first cooking some Uncle Ben's and letting it cool for a while.

• geraldo_linux
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for replies. I see that when I searched prior to making OP I had typed "fired rice" into the search box. No wonder appropriate threads didn't turn up. I searched "fried rice" and a nice post appeared authored by Dishes or something like that, I can't find it now.
    She stated that you need to cook the rice and then refrigerate it 24 hours. I will try that. There was something wrong with my rice or the way I prepared it and I am thinking that might be it.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I'm a "throw it in the pan" cook and I have been making fried rice for my family for 40 years the easy way. It's very economical, made this way, is very good and filling. My teenagers used to pig out on this and then gripe if there wasn't some left in the refrigerator to eat at breakfast time the next day (teenagers are a different species LOL). I don't like to eat fried rice in restaurants because I think they use too much oil and not enough egg. But that might just be a regional thing.

I use a large iron skillet. I pour canola oil into the skillet, just enough to coat it lightly. Turn on the burner and add 2 cups long grain white or brown rice and some chopped onion. Cook until most of the rice is brown and the onions have softened. Turn the heat to simmer. Pour 4 cups hot chicken broth into the pan. It will sizzle and steam some but this is normal. Put the lid on the pan and let this simmer till all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the lid and add about 2 cups of chopped cooked chicken and 4 eggs into this mixture, and mix well. At this point the rice will all stick together and the mixture will look gooey and unappealing, but this is because the raw eggs have coated the rice. Put the lid back on and turn the heat back to simmer. Lift the lid every now and then to give it a little stir to keep it from burning on the bottom. When the rice looks like rice again, add soy sauce to taste and serve. Do not add salt to this dish as the soy sauce is plenty salty on its own.

Some people like to add shredded Chinese cabbage right at serving and I think that might taste good but I've never actually done that. I usually serve with spring rolls and seasoned green beans. --Ilene

• geraldo_linux
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, thanks Ilene, you are making me hungry and I just ate. I will try that.

• khandi
    15 years ago

Here's one that I've made and liked. The orange juice adds something to it!

Asian Fried Rice

(Bonnie Stern)

This is best made with day old rice so next time you are cooking rice for dinner - make lots to have lots leftover. Types of rice to use for this are basmati, jasmine or fragrant rice. Makes 4 servings

4 eggs
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper
    2 Tbsp rice vinegar
    2 Tbsp orange juice
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 tsp Asian sesame oil
    1 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 small onion
    1 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger root
    1 sweet red pepper, diced
    1 cup frozen peas
    6 cups cold cooked rice
    3 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
    ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander or basil

In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs with salt and pepper. Reserve.

For the sauce, in another bowl or measuring cup combine rice vinegar with orange juice, soy sauce and sesame oil. Reserve.

Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet. Add garlic, onions and ginger. Cook, stirring constantly, a minute or two until onion is tender and lightly browned. Add red pepper and cook 2 minutes longer. Add peas and rice, breaking rice up with a wooden spoon.

Stir sauce into rice and combine well.

Make a hole in the rice in the centre, all the way down to the pan. Add eggs allowing some to set on the bottom so that some of the eggs scramble and some of the eggs coat the rice. Combine everything.

Stir in green onions and coriander, and cook a minute longer.

• geraldo_linux
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ilene, I made your fried rice today and it was great. Except I had to let my lady have some or I would sleep on the couch tonight. Next time I make more.
    I will try Woodie and Anns in the coming weeks, And khandi's.
    Thanks all.

"I'm full."

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Well, Geraldo, I did naturally expect you were going to share! LOL That recipe makes enough to feed two adults and two hungry teenagers so there should be some for your Lady! Glad you enjoyed. --Ilene

• tom_k_mo
    15 years ago

Not a recipe but a couple tips/suggestions. I used to work with a man who was married to a Chinese woman. I made mention he probably had good fried rice at home. His reply was that if a Chinese woman is a good cook, she won't have fried rice. Fried rice is made from leftovers and if she's a good cook she wouldn't have any leftovers. His suggestions for good fried rice, which have always served me well is to use left-over rice, or cook your rice the day ahead of time and let it cool completely and dry some. This will help keep the individual rice kernels separate and keep it from getting gummy. As far as fillings, what-ever you have leftover, beef, pork, chicken, whatever, but add some onion, scallions and egg. I usually add about a cup of frozen mixed vegetables to the wok also, works well and filling.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

I agree. I cook the rice the day before and refrigerate.
    I use more pork than previously stated, no mushrooms.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Kathleen ya had to go and do that didnt you? Now I need fried rice!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

How about some egg rolls to go with it Shaun,. LOL

• trixietx
    15 years ago

I have started the carb diet about 27 times and just started again and now I want fried rice and egg rolls (but a cheeseburger and fries sounds good also.)

I am going to try all these recipes, hopefully when I have lost 20 pounds and not before, maybe!

• annova914
    15 years ago

Good luck, trixietx! I've been *saying* I'm going back on the southbeach diet for the past month and today I bought a loaf of ciabatta. ~~sigh~~ why does everything delicious have to be loaded with bad carbs?!? Back to fried rice: yes, it's best to cook the rice a day ahead but sometimes when you really want some fried rice, you just go ahead and make it all the same day :)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

One point I might mention:
    you said you made the fried rice in the West Bend? Might that be an electric skillet? Most electric skillets do not get hot enough for authentic Chinese cooking. Chinese restaurants usually have high BTU burners that they use to cook in traditional carbon steel woks. And if the West Bend is a non-stick electric skillet, it definitely will not get hot enough to put a good sear on the rice or to properly stir fry.

Think about getting a flat-bottomed stir fry pan or wok. Then you will be on your way to making great fried rice and lots of other wonderful dishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: woks at the WokShop.com