Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

LOOKING for: Peach 'apple' sauce?

For the first time in YEARS our backyard peach tree is loaded. Usually the squirrels get them all. We're eating all we can and giving them away to anyone who walks by, but they spoil practically overnight. My freezer is not big, but I'll save what I can. Unfortunately no one in the family eats jam or jelly except me, and 3 jars would last me a year. I've cut a lot into small pieces, sprinkled them with sugar, and frozen them. Then I will put them in muffins (or something) in the winter when I bake.

What else can I do? I don't bake at this time of year, and no one really wants peaches in yet another form, not right now.

Can I make something like applesauce? Puree in the food processor or blender? Then freeze? I imagine I'd really love some peach sorbet...later. Is it better to add sugar when first blending it or freeze without?

Comments (7)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I think I might skin and pit them and chop in a food processor and add "some" sugar...to taste....not too much and "some" cinnamon and cook until mush, pack into jars and pressure can them....or freeze.
    Imagine that on icecream in January? On over a plain cake? Or ontop of cake AND ice cream...or mixed up in a smoothie or with added sugar on pancakes? Oh My!
    Linda C

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, Linda, you've got the idea! Smoothies and ice cream, oh, yes...

While waiting for ideas from the cooking mavens here I cut in half, pitted, and de-bad-spotted (?) maybe 40 of them. Since most have fallen off the tree there are a lot of bruised spots and I have to act fast as then they will spoil that much faster. But I did not think to skin them as generally I like the skins: but maybe not for this? Due to bruising and how very soft they are (not a shippable variety at ALL) they are hard to peel. They almost fall apart instead.

I have an old-fashioned jelly colander somewhere, the one my grandmother used to make crabapple butter. It is cone shaped with holes along the sides, has a wooden cone to press inside, and you set it over a bowl. You cook the fruit (at least for crabapples you do), put a cup or so in the colander, and press the wooden pestle cone around until the juice is out but the skins are left inside. Would that be easier/better than just using a food processor? Especially if I can't peel them all?

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Are they too soft to put into boiling water for a minute?
    If you make an x on the bottom, put into boiling water for a minute, the peels will slip right off. Otherwise I think your idea is a good one.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Yep....use the "applesauce maker"...I have one but I forget about it. It will leave the skins behind and make mush out of the rest...
    Also works with pears.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

You can freeze this:
    FRESH PEACH SAUCE (1 1/2 cups)
    2 cups fresh peaches, peeled & diced
    1 tsp lemon juice
    4 TBL sugar
    1 TBL flour
    2 TBL butter
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp vanilla

combine peaches w/remaining ingredients. Heat over low heat in saucepan 5-10 minutes stirring often or bake in a small greased casserole dish at 350° for 20 minutes. serve over pound cake with vanilla ice cream or over angel food cake.~~

Would they hold up for pies? If so, you could freeze them in foil lined pie pans, then remove the pans & keep frozen until you do want to bake.

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks: I was wondering about the proportions. The peaches taste really sweet on their own but are probably not sweet enough for a dessert. I assume you mean cook the sauce first then freeze? Or just freeze the peaches cut up and then make the sauce after defrostiong them later in the year?

That's a good idea about freezing the chunks in the form of a pie pan! That'll save work. They are rather ripe for pies but I made some pies last year and they sure tasted fine, though they did not retain "chunkiness" the way apples or less ripe fruit can. I added frozen blackberries then: it's a great combination. I think my favorite was a peach kugel (or was that a clafouti?) a few years ago.

Original Author
    16 years ago

No, just checked the recipe file, it was not a kugel, it was a peach kuchen. Before I knew there was a recipe section on gardenweb I did a search and found a kuchen recipe from Gourmet magazine. It's rather long and involved, though; I need to find a simpler one.