Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danain

RECIPE: The peaches are here!

danain
18 years ago

I love peaches but I don't make that much with them, usually quick peach cobbler or peach crumble. But, this week end I made an old fashion peach cobbler to take to my brothers for a family fish fry. I also put some peaches in the freezer for this winter.

Anyone else have any good peach recipes?

{{gwi:2049686}}

2 1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 cup Crisco shortening

7 tablespoons ice cold water

12 cups fresh peaches; peeled and sliced

3 1/2 cups granulated sugar

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

juice from 1/2 fresh lemon

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons cream or milk

In a large bowl combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in Crisco with a pastry cutter (or pulse in the food processor) until mixture is crumbly like the size of small peas. Toss the flour mixture with a fork while adding 1 tablespoon of the cold water at a time until mixture holds together. Gently press dough together and wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 and bring a large pot of water to a boil. Also have a bowl of ice water ready. Cut an "X" at the end of each peach and place in boiling water for 1 minute, remove and plunge immediately into ice water to stop the cooking; peaches will easily peel. Slice peeled peaches and place in a large bowl along with sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice. Gently stir mixture until combined and pour {{gwi:2049687}}, dot with small pieces of butter.

Roll the pastry dough out to fit over the baking dish and place it on top of the peach mixture pressing edges against the rim of the dish to seal. Cut vents in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Brush the pastry with the cream and sprinkle with additional granulated sugar. Place cobbler on a baking sheet to catch drippings that may spill over during baking. Bake 45 to 50 minutes until center is bubbly and the crust is golden and crisp. Cool to {{gwi:2049688}} if desired. {{gwi:2049689}}.

{{gwi:2049690}}

1 cup self-rising flour

(or 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoon

baking powder + 1/4 teaspoon salt)

1 egg

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 large can sliced peaches with syrup

Dash sugar & cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter

Combine flour, egg and sugar. Stir in milk and add vanilla. Pour into a large, deep casserole dish (double recipe in a 9X13-inch). Add peaches along with syrup*. Do not stir. Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. {{gwi:2049691}}.

*If peaches are in season, peel and slice 5 medium and add 1/2 cup sugar. Allow to stand 30 minutes to draw juice from fruit.

Peach Crumble

2 (29 oz.) sliced peaches (drained)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 cup butter

Arrange peaches in greased shallow baking dish. Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over peaches. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Serve warm.

Comments (29)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Those sound terrific. I just can't get good peaches here & I love them. You might like this sauce which works well with frozen or fresh. It's good on pound cake, angelfood or ice cream:
    PEACH BLUEBERRY SAUCE
    1 cup sliced peaches
    1 cup[ blueberries
    3/4 cup sugar (less if the fruit is really sweet)
    1/8 tsp nutmeg
    1/3 cup water

Combine 1/2 the peaches & blueberries with all the sugar, nutmeg & the water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil & reduce heat & simmer 10 minutes.
    Stir in the rest of the peaches & blueberries. Serve warm.~~

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Hmmmmmmmm...........I might have just enough peaches left to make your sauce, Ginger and have blueberries in the freezer.
    Marilyn, your desserts sound good too. You made the first one the way my mother in law used to make her cobbler.
    RL`

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

The peaches are very good this year. I make this recipe so often in the summer that I combine 4X the amount of oats, brown sugar, almonds and cinnamon and keep in a jar. Then I can grab a rounded 1/2 cup of the mixture and add the butter for a quickie dessert.

GRILLED STUFFED PEACHES serves 4

4 large peaches
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1/ 3 cup quick-cooking oats
    2 Tbs. firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 Tbs. finely chopped almonds
    1 Tbs. butter, melted
    1/ 2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large pot of boiling water, cook the whole peaches for 30 seconds. Rinse them under cold water and carefully peel the skins. Halve and pit the peaches and cut a very thin slice from the back of each so it will lie flat. In a bowl, toss the peach halves with the lemon juice.

Preheat the grill to medium heat. Combine the remaining ingredients and divide evenly, filling the centers of the peach halves. Place the filled peaches on the grill and cook, covered, for 5 or 6 minutes or until the peaches are tender. Place the peach halves on 4 plates and serve hot or warm. (161 calories per serving)

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Marilyn, I like to make a top pie crust with handcut leaves. I really like how you decorated the corners of your pie with just a few. Cute.

Ruthanna, your grilled stuffed peaches sound really good. I'll have to pick up peaches at the Farmers Market this week.

Ann

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

Bobby Flay did these on one of his shows--they're quick & so good---even with a vanilla yogurt instead of Creme Fraiche.

Diane's Home Cookin 4.8 Chapter: Grilling

Grilled Peaches With Creme Fraiche And Molasses Recipe Courtesy Bobby Flay
    ==========================================================================
    Vegetable oil, for brushing
    8 peaches, halved and pitted
    8 Ounces creme fraiche
    1/4 Cup molasses
    . Brush peaches with oil and place on the grill, cut-side down. Grill until
    golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the peaches over and grill another
    45 seconds. Remove the peaches to a plate and place a tablespoon of creme
    fraiche in the indentation of each peach. Drizzle with the molasses.

Serves 16 ( or maybe 8-they're very good! )

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Marilyn that cobbler looks very good. Because I don't care for pastry crust that single top crust is just my kind of thing, lots of filling and I can avoid the pastry. Perfect.

My version of peach cobbler has a dropped biscuit/dumpling kind of dough that you top the hot peaches with then bake. It doesn't seem like it would be a regional difference since we're only a state away, so I assume it's just a "family recipe" kind of difference.

So, if you bake a dessert with the biscuit/dumpling kind of topping, what do you call it?

Annie

• danain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, I saw Bobby Flay do those grilled peaches and they looked amazing. I have grilled them before but I have not added anything to them.

Annie, that's a good question. In yours you cook the filling first too. I like all of them! The second recipe I posted for the Easy Cobbler has a more cake like topping.

Ginger, it's really too bad that you can not get good peaches there. They are much better here this year than I remember the past couple of years. The sauce looks good too. I have a good blueberry sauce that is about like the one you posted which is good on pancakes and I never thought of adding peaches to it.

I'm off to the kitchen to freeze more peaches I got yesterday.

Marilyn

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Over & over I've paid a fortune for these gorgeous peaches we get sometimes & without fail, they taste like flannel pajamas. But in a few years I'll be back for good in the States & will load up on all the stuff I miss. Nothing better than a really juicy, ripe peach Unless it's wild blackberries.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Hooray, I just picked up a half bushel of Harmony peaches from a local orchard. I want to try Doris' peach and hot pepper jam and I need to bake something soon.

Maybe I should go back for another half bushel.....

Annie

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Annie...need jam recipe, please. I got peaches today too.

Nancy

• annie1992
    18 years ago

OK, Nancy, here you go. It's Doris's recipe (RuddMd) and Carol (Readinglady) has already made it too. If I remember correctly, Doris needed more peppers but Carol said hers was just right.

Peach Preserves for Cold Mornings

3 pounds ripe peaches, peeled and quartered
    l/2 medium-size orange, quartered and seeded
    2 Red Savina habaneros, (seeds and all)
    4 cups sugar
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    3/4 Cup honey (the lightest, mildest you can find)

Combine peaches, sugar, and honey in a Dutch oven; stir well. Cover and let stand 45 minutes. Place knife blade attachment in food processor bowl; add orange quarters and habanero chiles. Process until finely chopped,
    stopping once to scrape down sides.

Place orange, habanero chiles, and an equal amount of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until orange rind is tender.

Bring peach mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring often. Add orange mixture. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until candy thermometer registers 221, stirring often.

Remove from heat; stir in almond extract. Skim off foam with a metal spoon. Quickly pour hot mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on
    bands. Process jars in boiling-water bath 10 minutes. Yield: 6 half-pints.

Annie

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Thank You Annie, this sounds excellant. Do you chop up the orange...pith and all?

Nancy

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Yup, you just chop it all up. Please understand that I haven't made this recipe yet, but two other members have and they both liked it.

Annie

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

NUTTY PEACH PIE

Standard pie pastry for a one-crust pie
    1 lightly beaten egg white
    8 cups peeled, pitted and sliced peaches (about 9 medium)
    1 cup sugar
    3 Tbs. quick-cooking tapioca
    Grated peel of one medium orange (orange part only
    1 Tbs. orange juice

Topping:
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    3 Tbs. softened butter or margarine
    1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Fit pastry loosely into a 9 inch pie pan. Prick bottom and sides of crust in several places with a fork. Brush bottom and sides of crust with egg white. Bake crust for 7 minutes and remove to cool on wire rack. You can skip this step but it prevents a soggy crust.

In a large bowl, combine peaches, white sugar, tapioca, orange peel and juice. Toss to mix well. Turn filling into prepared pie shell. Combine brown sugar and flour. Cut in butter to make coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle topping over peach filling. Bake pie for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Cover loosely with foil; reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer, or until peaches are tender. Serves 8 Note: This can also be made without the crust. Just put the filling and topping in a pie pan and bake about 10 minutes less.

FRESH PEACH MILKSHAKES

1 cup peeled diced fresh peaches
    1 or 2 Tbs. sugar
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1 cup cold milk
    1 cup vanilla ice cream

Place all ingredients in blender or milkshake maker. Mix until thick and fluffy. Makes 2 large glasses.

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Well we just had some of the 4th peach cobbler I made this week - two were gifts! and my recipe comes from the Emory Univ Cookbook

Old Dominion Cobbler/Emory Seasons cookbook

1 c sugar
    1 c plain flour
    2tsp baking powder
    pinch of salt

2/3 c milk ( I add 1 tsp almond extract to milk)
    1 stick butter

4-6 c sliced peaches

Preheat oven to 350 with stick of butter in baking pan to melt and get sizzling. (see note at end re pan size)

Slice peaches into container with sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon to taste. Let sit while juices collect.

Whisk dry ingredients in other mixing bowl and as soon as butter is sizzling in baking dish, take the dish out of the oven. Then add milk to dry ingredients and pour thick batter over butter. Do NOT mix.

Immediately top batter and pooled butter with peaches and spread out quickly.

Bake 45 min or until top is brown and knife comes out clean.

They suggest a 9x9'2 pan but I always make it in a larger corningware white oval baker. Even then, I tend to have to cook it a bit longer to get the dough cooked through unless I use convection.

• readinglady
    18 years ago

Thanks all. The last peaches I got were among the best I've ever tasted. Tomorrow I'm getting some more, so these recipes definitely hit the spot.

Nancy, I just made that Peach Jam a couple of days ago. Mine wasn't hot-hot, kind of like Goldilocks - just right -but I didn't use habañeros. I tried Hot Portugal (an heirloom cayenne) instead. I really like the orange in this. It just adds a really pleasing additional flavor note. The one thing I'd do differently, perhaps, is cut the peaches into chunks. I did eighths, which is really attractive in the jar but a little awkward for dabbing on hors d'oevres. I'm just thinking this would be very good atop a slice of manchego cheese on crackers.

Carol

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

I made the Peach and Pepper Jam today.

I did a couple of things. I peeled the orange with a potato peeler and chopped that, then I cut the orange away from the white pith. For peppers I used 2 Hot Cherry Bombs and 1 hot cayenne. After cooking the jam I removed the peppers but left the orange peel in. The rest of the orange broke up and mixed in with the peaches very well. From what I tasted I think it turned out really really good. I'll let it sit a couple of weeks then test. Mind looks like a marmalade. Balance of flavors seems nice.

On to the Brown Sugar and Rum jam tomorrow, ran out of time today.

Nancy

• readinglady
    18 years ago

That does sound really good, Nancy. I think I might try your idea about peeling and supreme-ing the orange. I'll bet it's really pretty. Mine came out much like a preserve. The peaches were ripe with wonderful flavor but held their shape well.

Carol

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Annie, and all Peach Jam makers...how much brown sugar would you substitute for the honey? I don't like honey very much. ( or should I just stick to Vidalia relish as a honey substitute!?!?!?!? )

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Hmmmm. I'd start with 1/4-1/2 cup of light brown sugar and taste it. I do a lot of things by taste. The real sweetness is provided by the 4 cups of white sugar, I think the honey is more for flavor than added sweetness. Because brown sugar is a "stronger" flavor than honey, I'd start with less and work up.

Maple syrup might be a nice substitute too.

Annie

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

I just couldn't resist opening a jar. I love it! Not a big honey fan either, but you can't tell there's honey in it, I do think it adds though...

I had visitors and put it over cream cheese to eat with crackers, it tasted so good I wanted to scoop as much of the jam on the cracker as I could.

Nancy

• annie1992
    18 years ago

I just couldn't help myself, I had peaches left from this weekend's canning. I made 6 jars of peach jam, then a peach cobbler. Here is my family's version, as opposed to the "pie crust" type cobbler:

{{gwi:2049692}}

{{gwi:2049693}}

It didn't take long for Ashley to dig into that pan, she had hers warm with vanilla ice cream. She wasn't waiting for me to take a picture, that's for certain.

Annie

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Annie, I'm so glad that you now have a camera. That gift really did turn out to be a gift that we all get to enjoy. Please post the recipe too.

Ann

• annie1992
    18 years ago

This is the recipe for that peach cobbler. It was the one that my Grandma always used for every fruit, not just peach. It came from her favorite cookbook, a very old Betty Crocker.

PEACH COBBLER

Filling

1/2 cup sugar
    1 tbls cornstarch
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    4 cups sliced fresh peaches (canned will also work, fresh is best)
    1 tsp lemon juice

Topping

3 tbls shortening
    1 cup flour
    1 tbls sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk

Heat oven to 400F. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir ingredients together, then add peaches and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, then cook and stir for one more minute. Pour into an ungreased 2 quart casserole and keep hot in the oven.

Combine dry ingredients for topping and cut in shortening. Add milk and stir until well combined, then drop by tablespoons full on top of hot fruit mixture (you should be able to get 6 "drops" of dough) Sprinkle with sugar if desired.

Bake until top is golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.

Serves 6

This is very good warm with vanilla ice cream, but my favorite filling is cherry.

Annie

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Thanks Annie. Can't wait to try your Grandma's recipe.

Ann

• msazadi
    16 years ago

bump...it's not peach time, but it's interesting to see that there once was a time when Annie had NOT YET made the famous peach preserves for a cold morning.

Thank you Doris!

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

Yes, thanks to Doris from me, too. I opend a jar of "peach preserves for a cold morning" today and DH and I enjoyed them on Bay's English muffins. I couldn't find Red Savina habeneros, though, and had to use generic grocery store green ones. Next summer, I'll try to hunt down the red ones.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

VA, if there is a Shoppers Food Warehouse near you they almost always have red and orange habeneros. For less than $2. you can get enough to freeze for a lot of canning.

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

Thanks, Maureen! I don't know why I didn't think of that. The local Shoppers has a pretty big international section and a lot of ethnic produce, so it would make sense that they'd have the habeneros.