Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: cheese puff appetizer

Posted by debbiez1209 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 16:09

I had a friend who made the best cheese puff appetizers that I ever tasted. Can't find the friend, so no chance to get the recipe. If I describe it, I am hoping someone will know what I am describing.
She would make a cheese mixture of butter, cheese, dill, and some other ingridients. Then, she would take a loaf of white bread, and remove crust. She would take three slices at a time, and quarter them. Then, she would spread the cheese mixture between the layers and on the sides and top/bottom. She would immediately freeze them. The recipe would make a ton, so she would take out of the freezer as many as she wanted, and then bake them in a toaster oven. Has anyone ever heard of these?

Thanks,

Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: cheese puff appetizer

This is similar but used an unsliced loaf instead of stacking 3 together.
FOUR CHEESE PUFFS (makes 50)
1 lb loaf unsliced white bread
1 stick butter
1/4 cup grated Mozzarella
1/4 grated sharp Cheddar
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp cayenne
Pinch of salt
2 egg whites

Trim & discard the crusts from the top, bottom & sides of the loaf. Cut the bread into 1" cubes. Set aside. In a saucepan, combine the butter & cheeses. Sitr over moderate heat until melted. Add the mustard, cayenne & salt. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the cheese mixture. Using a fondue fork or skewer, spear the bread cubes one at a time & dip into the mixture until well coated.
Arrange the cubes on a baking sheet & freeze immediately until firm, preferably overnight. Remove the puffs from the baking sheet & store in plastic bags in the freezer until ready to use. At serving time, place the frozen cubes on a baking sheet (I cover the sheet with parchment or foil) & bake in a preheated 400 oven for 10 minutes, until nicely browned.~~Gatherings
NOTE: I've varied the types of cheese with this recipe.

o

This is a recipe that I like........was given to me by a gal I worked with one summer:
Dilly Cheese Squares`
1/4# butter
1 jar Old English Cheese spread
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/8 tsp Beau Monde seasoning
1 1/2 tsp dill weed
Mix all ingredients and beat for 5 minutes.
Spread on thin sliced Pepperidge Bread with crusts removed.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. May freeze bread after spreading with cheese mixture and go right from freezer to oven.
RL`

o

You could always add dill to these:

CHEESE PUFFS

6 to 8 oz. shredded cheese (use your favorite)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. dry mustard
Salt & pepper
Butter
4 slices of bread

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Butter the bread on one side & place on a baking sheet (ungreased). Mix cheese, egg, mustard, salt, and pepper together. Spread thickly onto the buttered bread. (The recipe says to cut each slice into 4 triangles, but this is easier done after cooking & isn't really necessary.) Bake for about 10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serves 1 - 4 depending on appetites.

From The Really Useful Vegetarian Student Cookbook. London: Mehehurst Limited, 1995, p. 146. ISBN 1-85391-549-2.

o

I use the same recipe as Ginger and they get rave reviews. I have found when dunking the bread that I go through the cheese mixture fast. I haven't made them enough to improve on that...

Was your friend Jane S.? She used to live around here and has moved a few times so just wondering...it can be a small world!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here