Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiez1209

LOOKING for: cheese puff appetizer

debbiez1209
15 years ago

I had a friend who made the best cheese puff appetizers that I ever tasted. Can't find the friend, so no chance to get the recipe. If I describe it, I am hoping someone will know what I am describing.

She would make a cheese mixture of butter, cheese, dill, and some other ingridients. Then, she would take a loaf of white bread, and remove crust. She would take three slices at a time, and quarter them. Then, she would spread the cheese mixture between the layers and on the sides and top/bottom. She would immediately freeze them. The recipe would make a ton, so she would take out of the freezer as many as she wanted, and then bake them in a toaster oven. Has anyone ever heard of these?

Thanks,

Debbie

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

This is similar but used an unsliced loaf instead of stacking 3 together.
    FOUR CHEESE PUFFS (makes 50)
    1 lb loaf unsliced white bread
    1 stick butter
    1/4 cup grated Mozzarella
    1/4 grated sharp Cheddar
    1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
    3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/8 tsp cayenne
    Pinch of salt
    2 egg whites

Trim & discard the crusts from the top, bottom & sides of the loaf. Cut the bread into 1" cubes. Set aside. In a saucepan, combine the butter & cheeses. Sitr over moderate heat until melted. Add the mustard, cayenne & salt. Remove from the heat. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the cheese mixture. Using a fondue fork or skewer, spear the bread cubes one at a time & dip into the mixture until well coated.
    Arrange the cubes on a baking sheet & freeze immediately until firm, preferably overnight. Remove the puffs from the baking sheet & store in plastic bags in the freezer until ready to use. At serving time, place the frozen cubes on a baking sheet (I cover the sheet with parchment or foil) & bake in a preheated 400° oven for 10 minutes, until nicely browned.~~Gatherings
    NOTE: I've varied the types of cheese with this recipe.

• roselin32
    15 years ago

This is a recipe that I like........was given to me by a gal I worked with one summer:
    Dilly Cheese Squares`
    1/4# butter
    1 jar Old English Cheese spread
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
    1/8 tsp Beau Monde seasoning
    1 1/2 tsp dill weed
    Mix all ingredients and beat for 5 minutes.
    Spread on thin sliced Pepperidge Bread with crusts removed.
    Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. May freeze bread after spreading with cheese mixture and go right from freezer to oven.
    RL`

• pat_t
    15 years ago

You could always add dill to these:

CHEESE PUFFS

6 to 8 oz. shredded cheese (use your favorite)
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    Salt & pepper
    Butter
    4 slices of bread

Preheat the oven to 375° F. Butter the bread on one side & place on a baking sheet (ungreased). Mix cheese, egg, mustard, salt, and pepper together. Spread thickly onto the buttered bread. (The recipe says to cut each slice into 4 triangles, but this is easier done after cooking & isn't really necessary.) Bake for about 10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Serves 1 - 4 depending on appetites.

From The Really Useful Vegetarian Student Cookbook. London: Mehehurst Limited, 1995, p. 146. ISBN 1-85391-549-2.

• whenicit
    15 years ago

I use the same recipe as Ginger and they get rave reviews. I have found when dunking the bread that I go through the cheese mixture fast. I haven't made them enough to improve on that...

Was your friend Jane S.? She used to live around here and has moved a few times so just wondering...it can be a small world!!

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design