Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadee__3a

RECIPE: frozen apple pie filling

chickadee__3a
17 years ago

I've just been given a large number of apples. I don't have time to make and freeze pies right now. Does anyone have a recipe for apple pie filling that can be frozen? I have one for peaches that works well so I'm thinking there's probably one for apples. TIA

Comments (3)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Scroll down at the site below & you'll find directions for freezing apple pie filling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Pie Filling

• lindac
    17 years ago

I simply take an empty pie plate and fill it with sliced apples, mounded high. Than dump the apple slices into a bowl and add 2 T. lemon juice and toss the apples and then I mix sugar and flour ( amounts depend on how sweet and juicy tha apples are, bur for jonathens I mix 1/3 cup sugar with 2 T. flour and 1 tsp cinnamon) and add that with the apples, dump back into the pie plate and let it sit for about 30 minutes ( so the apples will yield some juice) them freeze....and when frozen solid, remove from the pie plate and wrap and bag.
    To do several of these, you need to have 3 or 4 pie plates, but you can be peeling apples while letting one plate sit.
    The beauty of this is you can just pop one of those chunks out of it's bag and pop it into a pie shell and bake. Youw ill have to cover the edges of the crust with foil, because a frozen pie will take about 15 minutes more to bake than one that's not frozen.
    Riches is an apple pie in the freezer!
    Linda C

• kathy1958nursie
    15 years ago

I would love to have the peach pie filling recipe that TIA talks about in the Posted by chickadee__3a (My Page) on Sun, Aug 27, 06 at 16:06

(I've just been given a large number of apples. I don't have time to make and freeze pies right now. Does anyone have a recipe for apple pie filling that can be frozen? I have one for peaches that works well so I'm thinking there's probably one for apples. TIA)

Here's one for Apple Pie Filling from my mother. The pie recipe follows.

Apple Pie Filling Mom 8-05
    (freezing recipe)

Ascorbic Acid or bottled lemon juice
    18 (approximately 6 pounds) large baking apples
    1 ½ to 2 cups sugar
    1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
    3 Tablespoons lemon juice
    1 ½ to 2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Prepare 2 quarts of ascorbic acid solution as directed on the package, or 2 Tablespoons bottled lemon juice in 2 quarts water. Peel and core apples. Slice into ascorbic acid solution. Drain.
    In a 6- to 8-quart saucepan, combine apples and remaining ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and apple wedges are tender. Stirring frequently. Immediately fill hot sterilized quart jars with mixture, allowing correct headspace. *Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place lids on jars and screw bands on firmly. Let cool completely before placing in freezer.
    *The correct headspace for a wide mouth jar, 1 ½"; regular mouth jar, 2".
    Yield: Approximately 4 quarts.

Apple Crumb Pie Mom 8-05
    (serving suggestion)

1 quart frozen Apple Pie Filling
    Pastry for 9-inch one-crust pie
    Topping
    ½ cup all-purpose or unbleached flour
    1/3 cup sugar or firmly packed brown sugar
    4 Tablespoons butter or margarine
    ¼ cup chopped pecans, if desired
    Partially thaw Apple Pie Filling so apples break up but some ice crystals remain. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare desired pastry for one-crust pie using a 9-inch pie pan. Spoon pie filling into pastry-lined pan. In a medium bowl, blend topping ingredients to form crumbs. Sprinkle over pie filling. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 40 to 45 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
    Yield: 8 servings.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus