Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

RECIPE: Ina's Chicken Salad

annova914
14 years ago

I love chicken salad and just tried Ina's version which is now my favorite. She recommends roasting the chicken breasts instead of poaching (which I've always done) & I agree that roasting gives the chicken more flavor. I used a pinch of dried tarragon, walnuts only, a bit of diced celery, a squirt of fresh lemon juice and those wonderful round red grapes. I can't leave this salad alone :)

Chicken Salad

2 split (1 whole) chicken breasts, bone in, skin on (1-1/2 lbs)

Good olive oil

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup pecan halves

1/2 cup walnut halves

1/2 cup good mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves, divided

1 cup green grapes, cut in 1/2

Lettuce leaves, for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place chicken breasts, skin side up, on a baking sheet and rub them with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside until cool.

When the chicken is cool, remove meat from the bones and discard the skin and bones. Cut the chicken into a 3/4" dice.

Meanwhile, place the pecans and walnuts on a separate sheet pan and toast in the oven for 7 to 8 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.

For the dressing, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, 2 teaspoons* salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Fold in half the chopped tarragon leaves.

Place the diced chicken in a bowl, add the pecans, walnuts and grapes. Pour the dressing over the chicken and toss well. Sprinkle the remaining chopped taragon leaves on top and serve on a bed of lettuce leaves.

*Be careful with the salt. Some people think this is way too much. I added whatever I thought I needed as I went along.

Comments (2)