Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

RECIPE: Has anyone dyed yeast bread?

sanborn5
15 years ago

I want to make a loaf or two of bread to make tea sandwiches for my DD shower. I would like to have pink bread. Has anyone ever put red dye in with the liquid and have the bread turn out pink? Or has anyone bought dyed bread at a bakery?

Comments (5)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Ummmm...in cooking it's called food coloring and it is safe to eat. Just use a drop or two and it may not be too appetizing when it's done. I'd use regular bread and tint some cream cheese with red color and add some chopped dried cherries or cranberries for more color.

After baking the bread, it may not be the delightful pink color you want. I've never seen colored bread at a bakery...maybe there is a reason?

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

Dyed bread? I've used cocoa to get a rich brown rye but I've never food coloring. I suppose you could add a drop to the warm water before you add it to the dry ingredients and see how it bakes up. A quick and easy test might be to put a drop of food coloring in biscuit dough to see how it does. I'd love to hear how it works out. All the best for the party.

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made a loaf last week. I bought the bread mix of country white at the supermarket. I used the dough cycle on my bread machine. I used the Wilton pink food coloring, and I just dipped a toothpick into the container and added it to the warm water. When the machine was done, I shaped the dough and let it rise in a bread pan and baked it in the oven. It came out GREAT. I made my granddaughter a PB&J sandwich and she just kept telling me how she loved her pink sandwich. (I froze the rest to use for tea sandwiches at a baby shower.

• dlynn2
    15 years ago

In New Orleans they sell Mardi Gras bread in the deli's at the grocery stores during Mardi Gras season. It's purple, grean and gold all swirled together (kind of in a tie-dye look) and it's very festive looking. They sell it by the loaf, sliced for sandwiches. We now live in Colorado, so I have my mom ship it out here for my kids to take to school. All of the kids here think it's really cool. I think it would be really neat if our stores sold it during football season (orange and blue for the Broncos).

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Our bakery used to always sell colored bread. We ordered green and orange at Halloween. It has been out of business for years.Deanna