Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

LOOKING for: Good Southern Brunswick Stew Recipe

ole_dawg
16 years ago

I am looking for a good Brunswick Stew Recipe. I have misplaced my ggrandmother's recipe. She was from low country South Carolina and the recipe was super. I have never tasted another BS like hers. I have access to rabbit and quail and guienas fowl and of course fresh veggies. I like to make it a big batch and freeze it.

Thanks in advance for any other good ole boy or gal out there that can help me.

1eyedJack and the Dawg

Comments (10)

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Don't make it, but SURE love it!
    My MIL had a hunting lodge,South Alabama, and would add whatever to it, as they cooked outdoors in castiron kettle over hot fire. The Best! Sure it had venison, quail, maybe squirrel, and pork, with the lima beans, corn and potato chunks. And wild turkey, if they got one.

I'm from Alabama, and the closest to compare is Miss Myra's BBQ Restaurant's brunswick stew! Her's only has pulled pork and chicken with the veggies. No tomato sauce, but stock.

Just love it with hoe cake!

Didn't help with a recipe, but just had to say I AM A BRUNSWICK STEW LOVER!

• lindac
    16 years ago

I have a recipe....but you don't want it....uses chicken, no game at all.
    Let me know when you are serving!
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

Not for nothing, but "Southern Brunswick Stew" is redundent. :>)

But here ya go, anyway:

2 rabits or 2 large squirrels or one of each (or, if you absolutely must, sub a chicken)
    2 tbls butter
    1 lg onion, chopped
    1/2 lb country ham, diced
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    2 quarts water
    1 boquet garni of 1 bay leaf, 1 sprig parsley, 1 celery top and 1 hot pepper all together in a cheesecloth bag
    1 cup sweet corn
    1 cup lima beans
    1 cup sliced okra
    4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch cubes
    2 tsp Worchester sauce
    1 tsp soy sauce
    Dash or two of hot sauce

Wash rabbits or squirrels, cut into serving pieces, and dry on paper toweling.

In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter and cook the onions until soft. Add the rabbits or squirrels and fry them about 3 mintues per side, until browned. Add the diced ham and stir everything together. Add the salt, pepper, water, and bouquet garni. Cover the pot and simmer, sitting occasionally, for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the meat is tender.

Add the remaining ingredients. Assuming fresh veggies, add the corn, lima beans, and potatoes, in that order. Wait 20 minutes before adding the okra, tomatoes, Worchestershire, soy and hot sauces. Stir and continue cooking another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove the bouquet garni and serve over rice.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Never have had rice served with brunswick stew!

• ole_dawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Garden lad,
    I feel that the use of the term "Southern" is necessary in this day and age. Here in SC we have been re-invaded by Yankees from the North and Florida People from the south and they all want to be instantly "Southern" Thus the use of the word "Southern"

Glenda_al,
    The use of rice with your stew depended on what part of the South you lived in. Coastal or lowland or Upcountry.
    I have never heard of putting potatoes in BS and no Lowland Southerner would do so as they could not grow taters due to the high water table. Rice was always the side dish with my family.

If I can find that recipe I will post and I promise you that you have tasted no other like it.
    She had a secret ingrediant that she used in hers and it made it special

Thanks to all that have posted, but I am still waiting for one I will recognize as the real thing.

Garden Lad you are from Virginia are you not?

1eyedJack and the Dawg

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

Kentucky, actually.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

This is my favorite Brunswick Stew recipe. I've made it for years and always thought it was better than any made outdoors in big black pots by the local police dept. or by local churches.

My recipe doesn't have any squirrel, rabbit, or roadkill in it and my area of the Piedmont region of North Carolina always put potatoes in not rice. The seasonings, including the bottle of catsup, are what make this taste so good, but you have the option of putting lots of seasoning in or just a little. You can change up the meats used if you want.

Old South Brunswick Stew

1 (4-5 lb.) hen
    2 lbs. boneless beef stew meat
    1 lb. onions
    3 lbs. potatoes, peeled
    2 (16oz.) cans tomatoes
    2 (16oz.) cans cream style corn
    1 (16oz.) can green peas or same amount of frozen peas
    1 (16oz.) can lima beans or same amount of frozen limas
    (I prefer the small butter beans)
    1/2 to 1 14oz. bottle catsup
    1/3 to 1/2 small bottle Worcestershire sauce
    1/3 to 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    2 to 4 t. Tobasco sauce
    2 t. salt
    black pepper

Cook hen and beef in large pot with water to cover. Cook until well done and meat leaves the bone easily. Grind meat and set aside or pick meat from bones and flake into small thin bits, both the beef and the chicken. (This step can be done the day before, refrigerate broth and remove fat when it has hardened on the surface.)

Put onions and peeled potatoes through a food grinder or dice small, but not fine. Add all vegetables, meat,and seasonings to the broth and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 hours. Smash up the potato cubes as you stir. (If stew is not thick enough at the end of the cooking time, you can add some instant potato flakes to thicken it.) Serve hot with crackers or cool, pour into containers and freeze. Yields 5 to 6 quarts.

• revandev_comcast_net
    13 years ago

If's been years since I had Brunswick Stew. Sure would appreciate a fantastic recipe.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

There are at least two recipes in this thread - look again.

Teresa

Sponsored
Innovative Inc. Painters
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Arlington County/Alexandria's Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers