Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pot Roast - One pot meal

Posted by mtcrafter (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 15:12

Hi,

this is a standby in my family. My grown children call it 'real food' as an alternative to fast food, frozen entree's etc. I like it because when it is done, the entire meal is done and only needs to be served up.

Ingredients:
chuck or other pot roast beef - with or w/o bones. Lb. depends on how many are being served.
2 - 4 tbsp fat - oil, butter, shortening, lard, bacon whatever you like.
Potatoes - one or two per person
Carrots - Same
Onion - Same
flour, salt, pepper - about 1/4 to 1/2 cp flour.
beef broth - I like the low sodium, organic broth.
Any other herbs you like fresh or dried.
Garlic - optional

Heat oven to 325 degrees
Peel and prepare vegetables, half onions etc.
mix flour, salt and pepper and dredge the roast in it.
In a dutch oven, heat the fat over the cook top and then braise the flour coated roast on all sides until brown. Remove from the pan.
Add enough flour to the remaining fat to make a rouix. Stir until lightly browned. Add broth and stir until smooth. Cook a short while. You want it to be like a thin gravy.
Put the roast back into the pot and turn so it gets coated with the liquid. Add in the vegetables and any other seasonings you may like. Put the lid on and place into the oven to cook slowly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the meat is very tender. With a large roast, it may take 3 hours or longer.
When done, remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Stir the gravy and place in a serving dish. You may want to strain it if there are sprigs of fresh herbs in it. Be sure and taste it to see if it needs more salt or pepper.
Serve with a green salad, french bread and enjoy. All done at once. (Men seem to especially like this)

I'm thinking I might try this with other garden veggies we have in season. Maybe turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, fennel, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pot Roast - One pot meal

Try the fennel. I recently cooked fennel (in a frito misto recipe of Giada's) and we loved it. So much better than what it tastes like raw (like licorice which is not a favorite flavor of mine :) It's mild and flavorful. Ann

o

It's great as originally written....rutabega and fennel are too dominant for a good pot roast.
I like to add some dry red wine instead of some of the beef broth....and maybe a dash of worchestershire sauce.
It's fall food!
Linda C

o

I like parsnips in my pot roast.

o

You can also use strong black coffee and sweet sherry instead of beef broth. (cooking sherry is fine) It really makes a wonderful gravy.

Yes, most definitely comfort food! I love the smell of a roast cooking in the oven!

o

I like to add cabbage to my pot roast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here