Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtcrafter

RECIPE: Pot Roast - One pot meal

mtcrafter
14 years ago

Hi,

this is a standby in my family. My grown children call it 'real food' as an alternative to fast food, frozen entree's etc. I like it because when it is done, the entire meal is done and only needs to be served up.

Ingredients:

chuck or other pot roast beef - with or w/o bones. Lb. depends on how many are being served.

2 - 4 tbsp fat - oil, butter, shortening, lard, bacon whatever you like.

Potatoes - one or two per person

Carrots - Same

Onion - Same

flour, salt, pepper - about 1/4 to 1/2 cp flour.

beef broth - I like the low sodium, organic broth.

Any other herbs you like fresh or dried.

Garlic - optional

Heat oven to 325 degrees

Peel and prepare vegetables, half onions etc.

mix flour, salt and pepper and dredge the roast in it.

In a dutch oven, heat the fat over the cook top and then braise the flour coated roast on all sides until brown. Remove from the pan.

Add enough flour to the remaining fat to make a rouix. Stir until lightly browned. Add broth and stir until smooth. Cook a short while. You want it to be like a thin gravy.

Put the roast back into the pot and turn so it gets coated with the liquid. Add in the vegetables and any other seasonings you may like. Put the lid on and place into the oven to cook slowly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the meat is very tender. With a large roast, it may take 3 hours or longer.

When done, remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Stir the gravy and place in a serving dish. You may want to strain it if there are sprigs of fresh herbs in it. Be sure and taste it to see if it needs more salt or pepper.

Serve with a green salad, french bread and enjoy. All done at once. (Men seem to especially like this)

I'm thinking I might try this with other garden veggies we have in season. Maybe turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, fennel, etc.

Comments (5)