Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Meatballs

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 14:52

Hi -

I'm on a meatball kick. Meatball subs, to be exact. I like the "soft" meatballs, if that's the proper term. For example, I really like DeAngelo's meatball subs (if you don't know DeAngelo's, it's like a Subway). I've never had Subway meatballs.

Do you have a favorite, tried-and-true recipe for meatballs and sauce?

Thanks!

Suzieque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Meatballs

This is my recipe for cheesy meatballs. I have to make this for every family event or im not invited! I should add that the seasonings are all approximate, as a tend to just throw things in, so just do it to taste.

1 lb ground beef
3 tablespoons grated onion with juice
1 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 cup FRESH basil, chopped
1 egg
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon worcheshire sauce

Sauce
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
8 ounces tomato sauce
8 ounces tomato paste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
pinch sugar

Directions:
In a saucepan, combine crushed tomatoes,tomato paste,tomato sauce,chopped onions,garlic,salt, red pepper flakes basil and italian seasoning.
Keep sauce warm while making meatballs.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine ground beef with all other ingredients, mix well.
Use small ice cream scoop to make uniform portions, form into balls.
Place meatballs on baking sheet lines with parchment paper.
Bake until cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
Put cooked meatballs and sauce together.
Keep warm in crockpot.

o

Those sound great, Amylou. Thank you for taking the time to post!

o

Here is a recipe for crunchy herb meatballs with parmesan reggiano cheese (which makes all the difference with this recipe).

Ingredients:

1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground round beef
6 oz fresh spinach
2/3 cup of freshly ground, not grated, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (equal to 1/4 to 1/5 pound of non-grated cheese)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons fresh basil
2 teaspoons fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more, around 3/4 tsp, use more if you like a spicy meatball)
2/3 cup Panko crumbs
(you may also substitute homemade breadcrumbs from French bread, but the meatballs will be far less crispy and crunchy)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the pork, beef, spinach, cheese, eggs, basil, parsley, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and a 1/2 cup of the panko. Using the claw method, mix all the ingredients until well combined; in this case, you do not want the mix to be just combined, but thoroughly mixed in. You can use the mix right away, however, for better flavor it is recommended that you cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes (best would be for 24 hours).
Place the remaining 1/2 cup of panko into a wide bowl. Shape the meatballs into medium size balls (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, or the size of an ice cream scooper); roll the meatballs until the outer texture is smooth (the inconsistencies and roughness of the meat are smoothed over). Do not roll more than 12 to 15 times; dip in the panko, and coat evenly.
Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is a golden brown and th

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here