Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Beet Recipes

Posted by rivkadr (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 14:12

I have a bunch of beets from my CSA. I don't really know what to do with them, and my husband has declared that he hates beets! (I used my last bunch in a batch of chocolate cupcakes, and he didn't even know he was eating beets -- hee!)

I need some recipes that are something besides beet salad, that someone who says he hates beets will find palatable. We are vegetarian, so nothing with meat, please. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Beet Recipes

This week's recipes for health from the NY Times are for beets.

I have to agree with your husband, but if you can sneak them into something good, more power to you. There are some foods that my mother ruined for me, and beets are one.

There are some good looking recipes on their dining and food site.

o

CHLODNIK (serves 4) (Polish Borscht)
1 lb raw beets, trimmed but with 1" of stems left intact
3 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock works)
3 cups water
Salt to taste
1 cup small shrimp, cooked & peeled, optional
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
3 TBL vinegar, preferably apple cider vinegar
1 TBL lemon juice
5 tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup finely diced cucumber
1/4 cup finely diced green onions, green part included
1/2 cup trimmed, thinly sliced radishes, optional
1/4 cup finely chopped dill

rinse beets well & put them into a saucepan in which they will fit snugly. Add the stock, water & salt. Bring to the simmer. Cook, partly covered for 30-40 minutes or until the beets are tender.
Drain but reserve both the beets & their cooking liquid. You'll need 1 1/2 to 2 cups liquid. Using your fingers or a small paring knife, remove & discard the stmes & tender outer skin of each beet. Cut the beets into 1/8ths. Should be about 2 cups.
Put the beets & about 1/2 cup of the liquid in a processor. Blend thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a bowl & add the remaining liquid. Let cool then chill thoroughly.
If using, cut the shrimp into small bits & add to the soup. Add the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice & sugar & stir to blend. If desired, add more vinegar, lemon juice & sugar, according to taste. Add salt & pepper. Stir in the cucumber, green onions, radishes & dill. Chill.~~Craig Claiborne

o

Here is a link to a thread from a while back using canned beets. You could easily use fresh beets instead of canned.

Here is a link that might be useful: ideas/recipes for beets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here