Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whenicit

LOOKING for: Meal to Take to Friend with cancer

whenicit
15 years ago

I have a friend who has a 17 year old daughter just starting chemo treatments. I told her I'd bring her a meal and have been searching for something not so ordinary and not too hard that 'may' be something I can make and have her freeze for another day if that day is too hectic. I plan to make Symphony bar brownies too, not that the meal has to match the 'dessert'.

Any suggestions? I make Chicken Tetrazzini/Chicken Spaghetti a lot but I fear they do also so maybe that is too boring? It seems to early for a stew or soup dish.

They have 3 children and 2 adults so it'll have to feed them all...

Suggestions? I have been through up to page 7 of the forum this morning already.

THANKS!

Comments (8)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Most families like meatloaf and this recipe from Sharon (canarybird) is really good. Mashed potatoes and green beans are good sides; maybe some sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit; I would add some good bread also.

World's Best Meatloaf

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs - (tear up soft sliced bread - don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
    1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
    1 beaten egg
    1 onion chopped fine
    1/4 teasp dry Colman's (or similar) mustard
    1/8 teasp ground sage
    1/2 teasp ground thyme
    1 1/2 teasp salt
    1/4 teasp pepper
    1/8 teasp nutmeg
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells's)
    3/4 cup grated celery
    3/4 cup grated carrot

1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, bell pepper, celery and carrots.

2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.

3) Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Something they can "eat on" is always good....like a cooked hot 1/2 ham with a bowl of potato salad and some cut up fruit and pmaybe some cookies. Then they can have the ham fors andwiches and breakfasts after the meal.
    Also....remember it doesn't have to be a "meal" but repeated gifts of prepared fruit and washed and prepped raw veggies....a whole roastedc hicken, cookies etc are all welcome
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Best of luck to the young lady fighting this illness.

I'd double the following recipe:

STUFFED GREEN PEPPERS (serves 4)
    2 large green peppers
    1/2 lb lean ground beef
    1/4 cup uncooked instant rice
    8 oz can tomato sauce, divided
    2 TBL chopped onion
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 TBL grated Parmesan
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire
    Dash of pepper
    Cut peppers in 1/2 lengthwise & remove seeds. Combine meat, rice, 1/4 cup tomato sauce & remaining ingredients. Stuff peppers with mix & place in a greased baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over stuffed peppers & then sprinkle w/additional Parmesan. Cover & bake in a preheated 350° oven for 50-60 minutes.~~ You can mix mozzarella or cheddar into the meat mixture as well. From By Special Request

FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES (serves 8 )
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until well blended. Place roast in cooker & cover.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~

You could serve either with a pasta salad or green salad.

• whenicit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. I hadn't considered a ham, that might work great. And the recipe for Stuffed Green Peppers looks easier than the one I use so I'll have to try that myself!

Since I told her I'd bring dinner I feel obligated to make a meal but I wish I would have just popped in with some cookies (made 2 kinds today) and fruit. Maybe that would have been easier to coordinate and stuff...

Thanks again!

• clownwacko
    15 years ago

Try making a Goulash, it even better heated up in the microwave the next day too. Add some mile high biscuits, and the Symphony bar brownies. The goulash is easy to keep warm until the kids want to eat.

Goulash:
    1 lb. ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    ½ cup of chopped green peppers
    2 cups (8 oz.) macaroni (uncooked)
    1 can (1 lb. 12 oz.) or 2 (14.5 oz.) cans tomatoes, chopped (stewed
    or chopped)
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt or seasoned salt
    pepper, to taste
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder, or 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    1-2 tablespoons chili powder
    1/4 -1/2 tsp. Tabasco (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Sauté ground beef, peppers. and onions in large heavy skillet until meat is lightly browned. Drain off excess fat.
    2. Add tomatoes, sugar and seasonings to meat mixture. Mix thoroughly. Simmer, covered over low heat 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
    3. Meanwhile, cook macaroni as directed on package, drain, add to meat and tomato mixture.
    4. Heat thoroughly.
    I prepare it with 2 T. chili powder and 4 or 5 drops of red hot sauce.
    This is yummy, I hope everyone enjoys!

Mile High Biscuits
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/4 cups milk

Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
    Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
    Add egg and milk; mix until dough forms a ball.
    Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough as little as possible.
    Roll out to 3/4 inch, cut with floured cutter.
    Place on lightly greased baking sheet, push a thumb print in the center of each biscuit.
    Bake at 475 degrees for 12- 15 minutes or until light brown.

• woodie
    15 years ago

I think the ham or roast chicken idea is terrific with fruit and cookies.

I just made this casserole last night - its pretty yummy! I like to throw in a little thyme, rosemary and sage into the sauce.

Chicken Dumpling Casserole
    (Cindy 5 NY)

1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1/2 cup celery, chopped
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp salt
    pepper to taste
    4 cups chicken broth
    4 cups cooked chicken, bite size pcs
    Saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper until
    smooth. Add broth, bring to a boil, cook and stir one minute. Add chicken, pour
    into greased 13x9 casserole.

Dumplings:
    2 cups bisquick
    2 tsp parsley
    2/3 cup milk

Combine all, stir with fork until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto
    casserole (12 dumplings)
    Bake uncovered at 350 fo 30 minutes. Cover and bake 15 minutes more until
    dumplings are done. 6-8 servings.

Marilyn's Chicken Enchiladas
    2 seasoned chicken breast; grill, rest and slice
    1/2 jar (15 oz.) green chili salsa or homemade (recipe below)
    1 Jalapeno pepper; chopped (optional)
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    4 flour tortillas (depends on size)
    2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
    Mix chicken with salsa and Jalapeno. Pour whipping cream into a shallow bowl.
    Dip each tortilla in cream then place each tortilla in a baking dish. Spoon
    chicken mixture into tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Roll tortillas and lay
    seam side down in dish. Pour remaining whipping cream over tortillas and
    sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.

Green Chili Salsa
    2 Pablano chili peppers 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    2 mild green chilies or 2 jalapeno peppers juice of ½ fresh lime
    ½ cup minced red onion salt and pepper to taste
    Roast chili peppers by placing on a baking sheet about 5-inches from the heat source under the broiler with your oven set to broil and the oven door slightly open so the burner stays on, or in a 450° oven with the oven door shut. Check and turn often until peppers are charred on the outside and tender. Remove from oven and immediately place in a plastic bag and allow to cool. Remove from bag and remove the seeds and the peel from the peppers, reserving all the juices.
    Chop roasted peppers and combine with reserved juices and remaining ingredients.

• annova914
    15 years ago

This is based on my mom's casserole (the top was always crunchy because she'd have to wait until we all arrived before serving but we loved that crunchy topping :) This is a great casserole to take to a family along with a container of cranberry dressing and a simple tossed salad.

Chicken Casserole w/ Crunchy Top

Make Topping First:

1 box of Stove Top stuffing (herbal or chicken)
    1 tablespoon of minced celery leaves
    1 tablespoon of minced parsley
    butter

Follow directions for making the stuffing. In addition to the butter, add minced celery leaves and minced parsley to the water prior to boiling. Make stuffing & let it cool a bit.

Casserole:

3 chicken breasts, poached, cut into pieces (not too small)
    3 celery stalks, sliced
    1 small to medium mild white onion, chopped
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 soupcan filled with milk (or Half & Half or combination)
    1 cup of mayonnaise
    Dash of garlic powder
    Dash of Worcestershire sauce
    Dash of hot sauce (optional)
    Dash of paprika
    Salt & pepper to taste

In a 9 x 13" casserole dish place chicken pieces, celery slices and chopped onion.

In large bowl blend soup, milk, mayonnaise. Add garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce (if desired), paprika, and salt & pepper to taste. Pour over chicken mixture in casserole dish.

Cover chicken mixture completely with stuffing mix and sprinkle paprika over the stuffing. Bake uncovered at 350 for 50 minutes to 1 hour (thatÂs how the top gets so good & crunchy). Serves 4-6

Ann

• roselin32
    15 years ago

This is a nice dish that the Cancer girl might like......and my best wishes to her:
    Peaches and Cream Salad
    2 (3oz) pk peach jello
    1 (15 oz) can peaches...drain and reserve juice
    8 oz cream cheese
    1c Cool Whip
    1 1/2c HOT water
    Measure peach juice and reserve 1c (or add enough water to make 1c).Dissolve jello in hot water. In blender put peaches and cream cheese and blend til smooth.
    Combine all ingredients and pour into 9x13" pan.Refrigerate til set.
    RL`

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm