Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Creamy Caesar Dressing

Posted by becky_ca (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 12:28

I have been on the hunt to make the perfect Caesar Dressing. We love the Cardini's bottled dressing, but I can't always find it in the stores here. This one is just about right, and it would make a nice dip for vegies, too.

Becky
Lompoc, CA

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Caesar Dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 teaspoons anchovy paste
3 fresh garlic cloves (or to taste) -- pressed
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup half-and-half cream or milk
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice of a half lemon)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
half and half -- optional, to thin

Whisk ingredients together and thin with half and half if desired. Cover and chill for at least three hours to blend flavors.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Creamy Caesar Dressing

Thanks, Becky. How pronounced is the anchovy flavor or is it pretty subtle? I'm not fond of anchovy paste so I'd probably use less or omit but is it really crucial in this recipe?

o

Ginger, I'm not a fan of anchovy paste either, but to me it's the subtle flavor that makes it Caesar dressing. It's not overpowering at all - if it was I wouldn't like it :-)

Becky

o

In all due respect, Ginger, if you leave out the anchovy then it isn't a Ceasar dressing. You might just as well (omigod!)leave out the garlic.

So, whatever you're mixing up might be tasty. But it is not Ceasar.

Most recipes calling for anchovy really do require them. You should not get an anchovy or fishy taste. If you do, you're using far too much. But there is a contribution made by the fish that you miss otherwise. This is as true for, say, Worchestershire sauce as it is for Ceasar dressing

I've never quite gotten the hang of using anchovy paste, so almost always start with anchovy filets, which get mashed with a fork. It's a matter of personal taste, but I don't see the need for adding dairy products. And there's a world of taste difference, too, using freshly ground Parmesan vs. the green can.

Classic Ceasar dressing was made by rubbing the bowl with the garlic cloves. But I don't know anyone who does it that way anymore. Personally, I just smash the garlic and add it in.

o

Thanks Becky. I had some creamy caesar (Ken's, not Cardini) for the first time just last week and I liked it a lot but I would much, much rather have homemade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here