Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msprettyky

LOOKING for: Banana pepper recipes

msprettyky
17 years ago

Ok, we have a million banana peppers right now. What do you do with them? I plan on pickeling some, making relish out of some. What do I do with the rest? I would like to make something out of them that we can put in jars and give away as gifts for the holidays. We do cookies and candy every year and I want to do something different this year. I just love this forum. I can't believe I have been using gw this long and have just found it! Any suggestions?!

Comments (20)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Make pepper jelly:

Hot pepper jelly

3 cups finely chopped peppers ( the proportion of habaneros or other hot peppers to bell peppers will depend on how hot you like thour jelly)
    1 ½ cups cider vinegar
    6 ½ cups sugar
    1 pouch of certo liquid pectin
    up to 1 T crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
    Wear rubber gloves and donÂt touch your face!!!!
    Remove stems and seeds from prppers, chop finely ( I use the cuisinartÂchop donÂt make into mush)
    Put sugar vinegar and peppers into laege kettle ( it will foam up) and cook about 5 minutes and turn to high and cook to a full rolling boil that doesnÂt stir down.
    Add the envelope of pectin and cook 1 minute by the clock. Test for jell ( it should sheet onto 2 large drops off of a metal spoon) and pour into sterile ( boil for 10 minutes) jars. Wipe the jar rimsÂpuncture air bubbles on the surface with a tooth pick and add ¼ inch of paraffin and place jar lids and rings on the jars.
    After you hear then click shut tighten the bands.
    To avoid getting a chunk of super hot habanera in my mouth, I put the really hot peppers with a cup of the vinegar into a blender and blend until all peppers are pulverized. Then pour the vinegar pepper mix into the jelly pot.

Linda C

• roselin32
    17 years ago

If you want to use some up now, they are great cooked in a little olive oil and then mixed with scrambled eggs.
    We always have a big breakfast on Sundays and this is a favorite here. Just seed and chop them and cook til tender, then add eggs and cook til softly scrambled.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

And since they are so mild, I seed them, chop them up and freeze them in ziploc bags for soup which we love in the fall and winter.

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jelly had crossed my mind. Thanks for the recipe! I never would have thought about using them in soups or scrambled eggs! Do you have a soup recipe that you use them with? Great idea :)

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I have a Zucchini Soup recipe that I will post for you tonite.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I can't find mine but there are 47 below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Peppers

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here's mine........give to me by a German friend when we lived in Washington, DC:
    Heidi's Zucchini Soup
    1 # Italian sausage(sliced if using links)
    1 chopped onion
    1c sliced celery
    2c peppers.......1 bell pepper and 1c banana` peppers sliced
    2 large chopped zucchini
    1 tsp Italian seasoning or to taste
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 (28 oz) cans tomatoes
    Fry sliced Italian sausage with onions and drain. Add remaining ingredients
    and simmer at least 1 hour. May add cooked pasta if desired.

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

These wouldn't freeze but they're a great appetizer for a cookout. Since I only make them in summer, I usually pop them on the grill rather than broiling them. If you use one of those fish grillers, you can turn them over all at once.

STUFFED BANANA PEPPERS

12 large sweet banana peppers
    1 small tomato, finely chopped
    1/ 2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/ 4 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
    1/ 4 cup finely chopped green pepper
    2 small hot peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    12 slices bacon

Slit each banana pepper lengthwise and carefully remove seeds. Wash and set aside.

Combine next 8 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.

Stuff each banana pepper with cheese mixture. Wrap a bacon slice diagonally around each stuffed pepper, securing well with a wooden pick.

Place peppers on a well-greased rack in broiler pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

Serving suggestions: May be served with dill sauce, fresh tomato sauce or any sour cream sauce.

Source: The Southern Heritage Vegetable Cookbook

• lindac
    17 years ago

Are these sweet banana peppers or hot?

• maggie5il
    17 years ago

This isn't a recipe but I like to split them length wise, fill with white cheddar cheese, bake a bit, then under the broiler for a bit so the cheese becomes a little "chewy". Really good snacks.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

All of the banana peppers we have grown over the years have been nicely mild.

• msprettyky
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are mild banana peppers. I found a recipe for a relish I am going to try also. Thanks for the soup recipe! My husband loves soup. Do you know if it freezes well? Stuffed banana peppers sound good too...think I might try a popper idea. Maybe stuff, bread and fry. You guys got my brain workin overtime! lol

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I have frozen the soup but we usually finish it in 2 meals so there really isn't much to freeze. Like your idea of making poppers with them. I've also used my recipe for refrigerator pickles and used the peppers but they are sweet that way.

• regina-myers
    15 years ago

I'm new to all of this stuff. I really like the soup recipe and the stuffed peppers. I'm going to try them both. They sound delicious.Oh the breaded poppers sound great. We love poppers in our house.

• valarie_1958
    15 years ago

i once had an appetizer made w/these.they were stuffed with browned sausage and cream cheese. and they were wrapped in a crescent roll and baked.
    they were delicious

• nymiekat
    15 years ago

I cut around the top of the pepper an pull the stem and seeds out. then stuff them with (homemade) saurkraut and pickle them in canning jars. I have also filled them with saurkraut, onion, and bacon sprinkled with cheese and baked them. They are great party snacks!!

• neesie
    15 years ago

My brother-in-law likes to add a little bit to his tuna salad mix (along with the usual diced celery and onion). He says it makes the sandwich fantastic!

• lindac
    15 years ago

A word to the wise...before you make anything with these peppers, taste them. I have several times bought or been given supposedly sweet banana peppers that turned out to be very hot!
    The first time I put them into a soup that turned out to be blazing hot! then I learned, taste before you add to anything.
    Linda C

• barlow
    15 years ago

CUT BANANA PEPPERS LENGHTWIZE LEAVING STEMS ON TO USE AS HANDLES. MIX 2 8OZ CREAM CHEES WITH A LARGE CAN OF CRAB MEAT FINELY DICED ONION (OPTIONAL) FILL PEPPER HALVES AND PUT ON COOKIE SHEET BAKE 350 FOR AROUND 30 MIN. SPRINKLE TOPS WITH ASSIAGO CHEESE AND BAKE UNTIL CHEESE STARTS TURNING BROWN.

• KathyTebo
    12 years ago

We make a banana pepper mustard that is really tasty. You need the following:
    1 qt ground, de-seeded banana peppers (about 22 to 25)
    1 qt yellow mustard
    1 qt white vinegar
    1 c flour
    4 c sugar

De-seed and grind peppers (we use a food processor)some red peppers add color. Pour into a pot, add flour, stir, add sugar, stir, add mustard & vinegar. Put on stove over medium heat stirring until thick. Pour into pint jars, seal and process in water bath canner for 15 minutes.

The peppers we use are sweet, but if you would like some heat you can use the hot peppers.