Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlingardener

RECIPE: Looking for okra recipes

marlingardener
14 years ago

Help! I have a load of fresh okra in the fridge and more coming on in the garden. I have frozen okra, pickled okra, and eaten okra. Now I need some recipes that are not gumbo, not pickles, not okra and tomatoes. Would some kind soul please post recipes using okra?

No one told me okra was an indestructible weed . . . .

Comments (10)

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

GRILLED OKRA & SWEET PEPPERS (serves 6)
    1 lb fresh okra
    1 1/4 cups Snappy Tom or spicy V-8 or Bloody Mary Mix
    2 red bell peppers cut in 2" pieces
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1 TBL olive oil
    Lemon wedges

Combine the okra, V-8, red peppers & thyme in a bowl & mix gently. Marinate at room temperature 1 hour, stirring frequently. Drain, reserving the marinade. Thread the okra & peppers alternately on six 9" skewers (if using wood skewers, soak them for an hour in water.) Brush the vegetables with oilive oil & place the skewers on a greased grill rack. Grill over medium-hot coals 7 minutes per side, basting frequently with the reserved marinade. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.~~TX Ties

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Fried okra is a favorite in the south.

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ginger,
    That recipe sounds delicious! I'll try it this weekend when we put some steaks on the grill.
    Ltcollins, Here in Texas we fry everything, but I haven't developed a taste for fried okra. If the plants keep producing, I may have to, though!

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm in Texas too, and I just love fried okra! You might get a taste for it one day, and then you are hooked!

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

I really had to laugh a bit since this post reminded me of a similar problem my cousin had with an abundance of zucchini. She made every recipe known to man, particularly zucchini bread and lovingly shared all of it with her wonderful neighbors, who eventually grew tired of it and warned her they never wanted to see another zucchini ever again!!! LOL!

Hope you can cultivate a taste for fried okra. IMO, the secret is to use corn meal, not flour. Season with S&P or creole seasoning which adds a nice kick to it. Make sure the oil is hot so the okra won't absorb any grease. Fry quickly until golden and drain on paper towels. It's best to eat it immediately while crispy. I use a black iron skillet, which of course, is THE staple of every southern kitchen!!!

I want to try Ginger's recipe...it sounds wonderful!

Donna

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should have posted earlier, but I am still licking my chops. Ginger's recipe is better than great! My husband took seconds, and he doesn't particularly care for okra.
    Now, anyone who wants to try Ginger's recipe for Okra and Sweet Peppers, I'll be happy to provide the okra!

• brenda55
    14 years ago

Can't wait to try Ginger's recipe, too. Do you cut the okra or leave it whole? (I'm a little dense, sorry)!

Marlin, try frying some okra, chopped onions, and potato cubes at the same time...this may bring you around to fried okra! No okra needed, as I have about 5 bush plants that keep producing, but it goes from small buds to giant pods in 24 hours. I guess I'll have to start picking at midnight to get the right size. How do they do that!!!

Brenda

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brenda,
    Since the peppers are cut in 2" pieces, I coarsely chopped the okra.
    I think that okra grows if you don't stand right in front of it and stare at it. I have picked in the morning early, and by the time I go to put the chickens in the coop near sundown, the okra needs picking again!
    My neighbor is letting hers grow big, and then she plans to dry it and paint it to look like Santa Clauses and use them as tree ornaments. Some of us are more desperate than others . . . .

• brenda55
    14 years ago

Marlin,
    Thanks for the detail on the okra. I agree on the growth rate!! Amazing, isn't it!

BTW: I'd love to see the painted okra.

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brenda,
    I tried your potato/okra/onions with pork chops this weekend. I'm a convert to fried okra fixed this way! Now I have two recipes using okra.
    If I sink so low as to paint dried okra pods to look like St. Nick, I'll post a picture, but don't hold your breath!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio