Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snail1718

LOOKING for: Make ahead Breakfast for kids

snail1718
16 years ago

I am looking for a good recipe for breakfast that I can make on a weekend and then the kids can eat it during the week.

I want to either freeze it or keep it in the fridge for the whole week.

I don't have time in the morning to make a good breakfast.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Don't know what you consider a "good breakfast" but the best thing I ever did was to teach my kids to make their own. And you don't say how old they are.
    Even a 5 year old can make peantu butter toast.
    Home made egg sandwiches to be nuked, premade oatmeal with dried fruit to be warmed un the micro. And is there a kid alive who doesn't love cold pizza for breakfast?
    Cheese on a bagel to be nuked, a fruit bread to be spread with peanut butter. Cold cereal as long as you don't buy the kind that are all sugar, is good with a little fruit.
    Even carnation instant breakfast...it's better than Captain sugar cereal!
    Linda C

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Linda has some great ideas.

I used to make up several bagels with cheese, wrap in plastic wrap and then just warm up in the mikey. Meredith loved them. Plus I always had a bowl of fresh fruit on the counter. Rule was one piece of fruit each morning.

Breakfast burritos freeze really well. Scramble some eggs, plain or with sausage or peppers , whatever your kids like. Place on a warmed tortilla, sprinkle with grated cheese and roll up, tucking in the ends. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Take them out of the freezer the night before and place in the fridge. Next morning heat them in the microwave.

Another great and easy breakfast is yogurt sprinkled with granola and topped with a sliced banana. If your kids are old enough they can do that themselves, if not it's a two minute job. Or make up a batch of healthy muffins and have that with the yogurt.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I've made these lots.
    Store in refrig and when ready to use just warm slightly in micro or oven. Smells so good when warming.

You could substitute turkey bacon for regular bacon.

BACON BREAKFAST COOKIES
    1/2 pound bacon
    1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 cup of flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    2 cups of multi-grain flakes or corn flakes
    1/2 cup raisins ****optional

Cook bacon until very crisp, drain well and break into 1/2 inch pieces. Beat together butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine flour and baking soda; stir into butter mixture. Stir in bacon, mult-grain flakes and raisins.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Space 2 inches apart. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove to rack to cool--about 2 minutes, then remove from rack. Store in refrig.

• aprilflower
    16 years ago

I second Glenda's cookies - I've made them many times and my co-workers beg for them. I make them with splenda, and I usually double the raisins, 'cause I love raisins :-) but I bet they'd be good with craisins too!

april

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I have the same dilema with 4 kids. I make extra homemade waffles or pancakes on the weekends to freeze for my kids during the week. They like them better than the storebought ones and they can just pop them in the toaster. I'm sure you could do the same with french toast. I cook extra bacon and store it in the fridge and just nuke it for a few secs to go with them. I also make extra muffins to freeze and reheat in the microwave.
    I just learned that you can make oatmeal in the crockpot overnight as well so I'll be using that trick this year. I've seen several recipes I want to try with additions like apples, cinnamon, berries, etc. Also just found some crockpot breakfast casserole recipes that I want to try and I'll post them here if they turn out good. ~Anj

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

If you keep peeled boiled eggs in the fridge along with grated cheese and whole wheat tortillas they can put together their own egg burritos. Slice the egg onto the tortilla, add some cheese (and a slice of ham or a sprinkle of bacon bits), roll up, zap for a few seconds to warm it a bit and away they go!

I have also pre-made egg "mc-whiches" (scrambled eggs, cheese and ham on toasted english muffins, wrapped and bagged and frozen, then zapped before eating). They are okay, but not as good as fresh.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

You can make this into muffins or mini muffins (adjust baking time) & freeze or just freeze slices of it:
    Cantaloupe Bread (Marlen)

3 eggs, beaten
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 TBL pure vanilla extract
    2 cups of pureed cantaloupe
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla. Add pureed cantaloupe to mixture. Sift dry ingredients. Add to liquid. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans. Bake 325* for 1 hour or until done. Check after 50 minutes.~~

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting Marlen's Bread recipe, Ginger........we are getting good melons now and I looked for it but hadn't found it yet.

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

We have five kids and I run a greenhouse at our house, so I don't have any time either, we like this one. You can make ahead and freeze or refrigerate it either one.

Breakfast casserole

1 bag tater tots 2 lbs.
    1/4 lb fried bacon, cooked sausage, chopped ham or smoked sausage diced up.
    6 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1-2 cups shredded cheddar
    1 t salt
    1/4 t pepper
    a dash of onion powder, a dash of garlic powder
    optional--you can add onions, peppers, mushrooms, whatever you like-- etc.

grease 9x13 glass casserole dish lightly. Dump in the tater tots and spread them out evenly. sprinkle very lightly with the garlic powder, and a little heavier with the onion powder. sprinkle your choice of chopped meat over the top.
    Scramble together the eggs and milk, add the salt and pepper, then pour over the top of all. Sprinkle over the top with the cheese and then bake at 375 for approximately 45-50 minutes. Serve immediately or
    cut into squares when cool.
    Then you can just nuke portions in the morning. I add a dash of parsley flakes or chives on top to make it prettier.

I also make another one where you take refrigerated tube biscuits, squash them into greased muffin cups to make a little muffin shaped crust. Add a thawed out (use microwave) tater tot to each one. Add a pinch of chopped meat, like the ones in the other recipe to each cup. Scramble together some eggs, it usually takes about 3-4 and a dash of milk, salt and pepper in a measuring cup with a spout. Put a little of that in each cup. Add a pinch of cheese on top and a dusting of parsley, etc.
    Bake at 375 until they are set up well and browned, it seems like it takes about 20 minutes I think. You want them set up and browned on top. let them cool and put in refrigerator or freezer.
    The kids and hubby like both of these.
    But I also make lots of extra pancakes/waffles and freeze or refrigerate them too.

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

I too have 4 children...my 12 yr old son loves Italian style peppers,onions and scrambled eggs....so I fry up the peppers and onion mix in the scrambled eggs S&P and touch of garlic powder then I put it in a tupperware bowl and my son heats up a portion and plops it on a roll...Hubby takes this to the contruction site too!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations