Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_florida

RECIPE: Need Your Help...Please

ann_in_florida
17 years ago

While my husband was fighting lung cancer, I became involved in a wonderful support group for lung cancer patients and their families and caregivers. This group, Lung Cancer Survivors for Change, is in the process of collecting recipes for their second cookbook. If you would like to share any of your recipes for this special cause, please post a recipe here and I will forward it to LCSC. We are looking for recipes that are quick, easy and yummy. As a longtime member of the KT here, I know you guys have some of the best recipes around. Oh...I will make sure you get credit for the recipe. Should you know of anyone affected by lung cancer, please share the site address.

www.lchelp.com

Thank you so much!!!

Comments (43)

• BeverlyAL
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your DH's struggle with lung cancer. I've lost several friends to it recently and it's so hard on the patient and the family.

Are you looking for any particular type of recipe? Do you want mainly easy ones or does it matter? Some folks don't like to cook with prepared foods such as cream soups or cheese products instead of real cheese. Does it matter which type goes in this cookbook?

• roselin32
    17 years ago

This is one I have posted here and a number of folks here in my city have been asking for a copy of-I've had it for years and have no idea where it came from:
    Zucchini Casserole
    3c shredded zucchini
    1c Bisquick
    1/2c minced onion
    1clove minced garlic
    1/3c veg. oil
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1/2c Parmesan cheese
    2T parsley, minced
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1/2tsp oregano
    dash pepper
    Mix all ingredients...pour into a 9x13" sprayed baking dish
    and bake until brown and set about 45 minutes at 350°.

Also this is a favorite:
    Raspberry Bars
    2 1/2c all purpose flour
    1 c sugar
    1 c chopped pecans OR walnuts
    1 c butter, softened
    1 egg
    1 10 jar raspberry preserves

Preheat oven to 350°

Grease a 9x13" baking pan. In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except preserves. Beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly about 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 c of crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into baking pan.
    Spread preserves to within 1/2" from edges of the unbaked crumb mixture. Crumble remaining crumb mix over preserves.
    Bake for 40-50 minutes or til lightly browned. Cool completely and cut into bars.
    From the VIP Cookbook
    RL`

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

This is an old recipe I've had for ages. It's very plain & simple but very good with coffee or tea. It's really small cupcakes but with a great flavor:

SPICED TEA CAKES (makes 2 dozen small cakes)
    1 2/3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/3 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs, well beaten
    2/3 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla

Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves & nutmeg together. Cream shortening with sugar until fluffy. Add eggs. Add flour alternately with milk in small amounts. Add vanilla. Fill greased cupcake pans 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 15-18 minutes.
    NOTE: You can also make plain tea cakes by omitting the cinnamon, cloves & nutmeg.~~

I'm very sorry about your husband & wish you all the best with this venture. I would be delighted to purchase the book when it's finished if you'll do mail orders (of course, I'd pay the postage.) Just email me through this site when it's ready.

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

I made up this recipe when I had an extra box of strawberry flavored cake mix. My husband's co-workers request them all the time now!

Strawberry banana split cupcakes
    1 box strawberry cake mix
    1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
    1 cup sweetened coconut
    2 eggs
    1/4 c oil
    1 cup water
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1 bag semi sweet chocolate chips
    Set the chocolate chips aside and mix remaining ingredients together in large mixing bowl until blended well. Line cupcake pans with liners. Place chocolate chips in bottom of liner in single layer. The idea is to make a black bottom cupcake. Bake according to package directions or until toothpick comes out clean. cool

Banana cream frosting
    1 small container cool whip
    1 box instant banana cream pudding
    prepare pudding per instructions for pie filling.
    Add cool whip, and blend well.
    Refridgerate for atleast one hour.
    Frost cupcakes with big mounds of frosting and then garnish with nuts, chocolate syrup and cherries.
    Keep cool till serving.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

I've just posted my meatloaf recipe on another thread. It's a winner!

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's ill health. I have just learned that a dear friend of mine (an Ex, actually) has been diagnosed with cancer of the lungs, liver, bowel and brain, so I can truly sympathise with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: meatloaf recipe

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Friends, thank you so very much for posting these wonderful recipes. I will make sure these are in our cookbook. Here is a copy of the flyer we are using to ask for recipes.
    WE NEED YOUR RECIPES NOW!

LUNG CANCER COOKBOOK FUNDRAISER IS UNDERWAY!

The Lung Cancer Support Community (LCSC) is now accepting recipes for a second cookbook entitled "A Second Taste of Hope".

Â Want to see your name in print? (If you prefer to be anonymous, just let us know)
    Â Want to help in the war against lung cancer?
    Â If yes, it is easy to help! Just send us your favorite recipe(s). There are three ways to do it:

1. Input the recipe directly yourself: Go to http://www.typensave.com/ Log in is: LCSCbook Password is: 3e3jm
    2. E-mail your recipe to king3419@cfl.rr.com

With your help, "A Second Taste of Hope" will be on sale in time for the holidays!

Shocking facts you probably did not know. Help us find a cure!
    Â Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States. Lung cancer accounts for approximately 29% of all cancer deaths.
    Â Lung cancer kills more Americans each year than breast, prostate, colorectal, and pancreatic cancers combined.
    Â Approximately 50% of the people diagnosed with lung cancer have never smoked or are former smokers.
    Â In 2005, approximately $1,627 was spent on research per lung cancer death, compared with:
    Â $13,704 per breast cancer death
    Â $10,181 per prostate cancer death
    Â $4,496 per colorectal cancer death

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would like to give all you wonder folks credit for the recipes in the book. Can you please just giev me your names? First name and state is great. Ex: Ann in Florida

• obxgina
    17 years ago

Ann, what a wondeful and worthwhile cause. Here is my Grandmother's Rice Pudding recipe. It's simple but very delicious and elegant.
    Nana's Old Fashion Rice Pudding:
    1-Qt of whole milk
    4-TBSP. of regular rice, I used either Carolina or Comet
    5-TBSP. of sugar
    1-egg slightly beaten
    A pinch of salt
    2-TSP. of vanilla extract
    Heat milk in microwave to take the chill off. In a saucepan on low heat combine rice, sugar, egg and salt. Gradually add milk. Stir frequently until bubbly. Continue cooking until thick and rice is soft. Remove from heat, add vanilla. When cooled place in frig. To prevent skin from forming place a piece of waxed paper over pudding before refrigerating. Enjoy! Gina from NC

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Do let us know when the cookbook is available and you can just put "Roselin, TX" on my recipes. We are just finishing up a bathroom remodel. Will see what other recipes I can come up with then.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

For kids from 7-way past adult!!
    A favorite of my son's even now and he is 32:
    Hot dog 'n Corn Chowder
    1 lb hot dogs, sliced
    1/2c chopped green pepper
    1/2c chopped onion
    2T butter or marg.
    2 16 oz cans cream style corn
    2c milk
    1 lb Velveeta, cubed
    dash pepper
    Saute hot dogs, peppers, and onion in butter til onion and peppers are soft. Add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat til cheese melts.
    6 servings.

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Ann, I am so sorry about your husband. I am very interested in helping out this project. Please put me on a list when the cookbook is available.

Here is a "simple" salad recipe:

Party Pear Salad

4 c. mixed salad greens
    2 pears
    1/2 c. craisins
    1/2 c. toasted walnuts (or pecans)

Dressing:

2 T. balsamic vinegar
    2 T. sugar
    1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper

For dressing, combine vinegar and sugar and blend until sugar dissolves. Slowly add oil, then add seasonings. Wash and thinly slice pears. Place into dressing mixture to retain color until ready to use. Add craisins, to soften. Place 1 cup of lettuce on each plate. Top with dressing and fruit mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts or pecans.

Brenda in Texas

• roselin32
    17 years ago

My husband's all time favorite recipe......with these, any meal is a feast!
    Angel Biscuits
    5-6 c flour
    1pk yeast+2 T warm water
    1/4c sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1tsp baking soda
    1T+1 tsp baking powder
    1 c Crisco
    2 c buttermilk
    Combine 3c flour,sugar, salt, soda, and baking powder. Cut in Crisco until size of small peas. Add yeast that has been softened in warm water and buttermilk. Stir all well and knead in enough flour to make a nice soft dough that forms a ball and holds together. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate til needed. When ready to bake`, roll dough until about 3/4" thick, cut with biscuit cutter and bake in preheated 400° oven until nicely browned. Dough does not need to rise before baking.
    Gee Whiz fact-I let the dough set on a floured board after adding most of the flour for 10 minutes covered with a towel and it kneads easier. And too, you may not need all of the flour.

RL`

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Here is another recipe to add to your collection that is easy and delicious.

Quiche
    5 eggs
    2 cups evaporated milk
    3/4 tsp. salt
    Dash of nutmeg
    Dash cayenne pepper
    Dash black pepper
    12 strips bacon, crisply fried**
    2 cups grated, sharp Vermont cheddar
    1 unbaked pie shell to fit quiche pan

Beat eggs, milk and seasonings together. Sprinkle crumbled bacon into the pie shell and cover with grated cheese. Pour milk/egg mixture over all. Balke in 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the qquiche has puffed and browned. Allow 15 minutes to cool before serving.
    ** I usually also add carmelized onions, mushrooms, yellow squash and zucchini mixed with the bacon so that we get part of our veggie servings for the day!

Marigene
    Kansas

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You have no idea how helpful all of these recipes are. I so appreciate all of your kindness in sharing these for our book. I will be more than happy to let you know when they are available for purchase. The first cookbook that we did, last year, was great. I gave all of my friends copies for Christmas gifts. In answer to a previous post, the easier the recipe, the better. I think that's the great thing about all of these cookbooks that churchs and organizations do. Most of the recipes are very user friendly. Once again, please allow me to thank you for your help with this project. Lung Cancer is such a terrible disease and it does not recieve anywhere the funding or recognition as other forms of cancer. My dear husband of 25 years, was only 49 when he was diagnosed. There had been no symptoms. At diagnosis, the cancer was in both lungs, the liver and the spine. He died, at age 50, 10 months after diagnosis. Now, I am active in the Lung Cancer Survivors for Change support group, to help others that are dealing with this terrible disease. If you know of anyone, patient, caregiver or family member, that is facing lung cancer, please refer them to our support board:

www.lcsc.com

• gininmn
    17 years ago

Here's one that I like:

WILD RICE CHICKEN SALAD

2/3 c. reduced calorie mayonnaise
    1/3 c. skim milk
    2 T. lemon juice
    3. c. cooked wild rice
    3. c. diced cooked chicken
    1/3 c. finely chopped green pepper
    1/3 c. finely sliced green onion (I sometimes substitute a bit of fresh chives)
    1 8-oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. white pepper
    1/2 lb. seedless green grapes, halved
    1/2 c. unsalted cashews
    salad greens
    8 small grape clusters

Blend mayonnaise, milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
    In medium bowl, combine chicken, wild rice, grn pepper, onion, water chestnuts, salt and pepper. Fold in mayonnaise mixsture
    Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours. Fold grapes and cashews in before serving.
    Arrange on salad greens and garnish with grapes.
    --Serves 8

NOTE: I've had this with mandarin orange sections instead of grapes and pecan chunks instead of cashews. Equally good.

Ginny in Minnesota

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Just out of curiosity, is the first cookbook still available?

• Nonnie_GA
    17 years ago

CHICKEN SPAGHETTI

INGREDIENTS:
    4 to 6 chicken breasts, cooked, reserve broth
    1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese

PREPARATION:
    Cook spaghetti in reserved chicken broth. Chop chicken. Saute bell pepper and onion in a large skillet with tbl. of butter or vegetable spray until vegetables are softened. Add soups. Cook on low until bubbling, then stir in chicken and spagetti.

Pour into a lightly greased baking dish. Top with cheddar cheese and bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Serves 4 to 6.

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

1 bag frozen broccoli - do not thaw
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup chopped onions
    Saltine Crackers
    Cheeze Crackers
    Butter

Mix all but crackers together and place in greased or sprayed baking dish. Crush equal amounts of saltines & cheese crackers and mix with 1 tlb. of melted butter (or more if needed) and pour over top.

Bake at 400 degress until bubbly
    Recipe can be doubled by using Family Size Broccoli

CAJUN HOT PICKLES

1 gallon sliced dill pickles
    5 lbs. sugar (5 lbs. is correct amount)
    5 - 10 drops of bottled red hot sauce.

Pour all of dill juice out of jar. Mix sugar and hot sauce.
    Layer pickles and sugar mixture back in jar. Replace lid and turn jar over every day for 5 days.

These are are exceptionally good and addictive. I put the recipe here on the Receipe Exchange about 6 years ago and everybody raved about them. They become sweet and tangy and crisp.

Sandra - Georgia
    in honor of SIL Susie who passed away at 33 from lung cancer.

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You guys are just the absolute best! What a help all of these great recipes have been. Please keep them coming!
    For those of you that wanted to know if our first cookbook is still available...YES! I talked with Andrea, our cookbook chairman and she was able to locate about 24 remaining books. If you are interested in purchasing one, please email her at andreascheff@adelphia.com

She's a super lady and will get all the information to you right away! Thanks so much for all you are doing to help!

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Here's a couple easy ones :

Mom's ( Melania) Graham Cracker Cake
    ====================================
    1 cup sugar
    ½ c. butter
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    1/3 cup flour
    1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 ½ teaspoon Baking powder
    2/3 cup chopped walnuts

2 teaspoons sugar
    1/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
    . Preheat oven 375°-grease & flour 8 in. sq. cake pan.

Cream butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla---mix in combined flour, graham
    cracker crumbs & baking powder alternating with the milk & beating
    well-fold in chopped nuts.

Bake 40-45 min.when removed from oven immediately sprinkle with
    combined sugar & nutmeg.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This one's fast & an easy way to sneak some veggies into the kids.
    Soupy Joes

1# lean ground beef or turkey
    1 can condensed veg beef soup
    pkg hamburger rolls

Brown meat and crumble as it cooks . Add undiluted can of soup , stir , cover and cook over low heat about 5 min. Serve on toasted buns.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This one Debbie posted is fast & versitile:

Chicken Riggies
    ===============
    1 stick butter, melted
    1 onion minced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    20 ounces jar of sweet peppers (sliced with seeds removed)
    3 sliced hot cherry peppers (packed in jar with oil)
    . Saute above ingredients

Add:

1 Cup parmigiano cheese
    2 Pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed
    1 Can chicken broth
    1 Can tomato sauce (15 oz) .

Cook for 1 hour. Pour over 1 1/2 boxes of cooked Rigatoni pasta. Serve
    with fresh Italian bread.

Diane -- NY State

• divamydear
    17 years ago

My father passed away last month from Mesothelioma a type of lung cancer. So I would like to add his fudge!
    Melvin's fudge
    1 can of sweetened condenced milk
    2 TBL of butter, not margrine! + extra for the dish
    3 Cups of chocolate chips

Prepare a 8x8 baking dish by buttering the dish.
    Put all 3 ingredients in a microwave safe bowl.
    Microwave for 30 seconds take out and stir well, put back in and microwave for 30 more seconds remove and stir again.You will continue this untill the mix is smooth.
    Pour into buttered dish and let cool.I don't know the serving size as it does not last that long :)

• bonelady
    17 years ago

2 cups butter or margarine, softened
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 large eggs
    2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of salt
    1 12 oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 12 oz pkg peanut butter chips
    1 cup salted peanuts
    2 cups crushed pretzels

Preheat oven to 350* degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and
    vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Blend into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate
    and peanut butter chips, peanuts and pretzels. Drop by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased
    cookie sheet. bake 10-13 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft. Do not overbake.
    Cool one minute on cookie sheet. Cool completely on wire racks. Store tightly in covered container.

Pam/Chicago

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

My mother died from cancer so I'd like to offer one of her recipes. So this one's from Helen from Pennsylvania.

RED SAUERKRAUT AND MEAT

1 cup tomato juice
    2 Tbs. red wine (optional)
    2 Tbs. brown sugar
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ tsp. caraway seeds (optional)

1 small apple, peeled and grated
    1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
    1 large clove garlic, minced

1 Â 16 oz. can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed

3-4 lb. pork roast with bones or 2 lb. boneless pork roast and/or
    1 lb. kielbasa

Combine first 6 ingredients in large bowl. Add apple, onion and garlic and mix thoroughly. Stir in sauerkraut. Transfer mixture to a 9 X 13 inch baking dish. If using pork roast with bones, top kraut with roast well-seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder or garlic salt. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes; then bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until pork is done, stirring sauerkraut every 30 minutes. Add a little water if kraut is getting too dry.

If using boneless pork roast, do the 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then cook an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour at 350 until pork is done.

For kielbasa with pork, add it during the last 45 minutes of cooking.

If making kraut without pork and just kielbasa, bake kraut at 400 for 30 min.; then turn oven to 350 and cook kraut another 45 minutes to 1 hour with kielbasa if whole or cut in big pieces or 30 minutes if cut into ½ inch rounds for an appetizer.

Either way, keep the sauerkraut stirred as it browns and add a bit of water if itÂs drying out too much.

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all the newly added recipes! They sound yummy! Pam/Chicago...what is the name of your recipe? I am so touched that so many of you are posting recipes in memory of a loved one that lost their battle with cancer. I know this book is going to be great because of all the wonderful paople that are helping so very much!

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Ann, I emailed Andrea about the first cookbook but have been having email problems. Could you ask her to email me at kit_extra@yahoo.com
    Thanks.

• divamydear
    17 years ago

Please let us know when the book is comming out and how to get a copy!

• katntex
    17 years ago

My husband Harry was diagnosed on Dec 1st and passed away on March 3rd of last year. Here's his best shrimp recipe that he loved to make and have everyone dig in!
    Kat in Texas

DIRTY HARRY'S SHRIMP

1 to 1 ½-lbs of shrimp (de-headed in shell)
    Spread shrimp one layer deep in shallow baking pan.
    MIX:
    1 stick of margarine melted
    2 Tblsp. Olive oil
    2 Tblsp. Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tblsp. lemon juice
    1 pod of garlic minced
    Other ingredients:
    Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning [green can]
    Tabasco to taste (optional).
    Spoon mixture over shrimp and sprinkle with Creole seasoning. Heat oven to 375° and bake for approximately 10 to 12 minutes. (until shrimp turn pink and mixture is bubbling around shrimp)
    Serve with toasted French bread and lots of napkins!!

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I lost my dad to cancer 14 years ago next week. This recipe is his one and only kitchen invention, but I think it is a darn good one. I have never shared this recipe with anyone before, just made it for my family, but I think if there was ever a worth cause this is it. My dad would definitely approve.

Alexa in Pennsylvania

DadÂs Beef and Onions

3 Â 4 lb chuck roast
    ¼ cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
    2 tbsp oil
    4 large onions, sliced thin
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    several drops hot pepper sauce

Dust the roast in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides until it is dark brown.

Reduce the heat to med-low. Cover the roast with onion slices, sprinkle on the Worcestershire, thyme and hot sauce. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired. Cover the Dutch oven and let simmer slowly for 45 Â 60 minutes. Turn the roast over, scooping up as many onions as you can to put back on top, recover the Dutch oven, and cook an additional 45 Â 60 minutes. This makes a wonderful au jus to go with the beef.

• woodie
    17 years ago

In memory of our dear friend, John, who died of Mesothelioma, these are 2 recipes we all enjoyed when John took us out on his favorite "cocktail cruises" in Lake George in the Adirondacks.

DARLEEN'S SNACK MIX

2-12 ounce bottles Orville R. buttery popcorn oil
    2-10 ounce packages Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix
    1-15 ounce box Crispix cereal
    1 can Cashews
    1 large bag pretzels
    1 teaspoon dill
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon Konriko Jalapeno All Purpose Seasoning

Stir all together in large baking pan and bake at 200-250° for 1-1/2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.

PESTO CHEESECAKE

CRUST
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese
    1/2 cup melted butter Mix all together and press into 9" springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.

FILLING
    4 (8 oz packages) cream cheese
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    2 cups pesto (from the refrigerator section of your grocer)

Beat with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350* for 1 hour. Chill several hours or overnight. Remove from pan and decorate with a little chopped tomato or chopped sundried tomatoes. Slice into very thin slices and serve on small individual plates - or - cut into thirds and place 1/3 on serving plate and use to spread on crackers or baguettes. Be sure to decorate with a little chopped "red" tomato accent and maybe some green basil too. Looks beautiful! (If you cut into thirds, you can serve 1/3 and freeze the remaining for another time.)

from Woodie in the Adirondacks

• mamatoad
    17 years ago

Here's a simple but delicious recipe in memory of my daughter, Lori, who lost her valiant battle with cancer at the age of 39. This was a favorite of hers.
    Crocked Turkey Breast
    Take one frozen turkey breast that will fit in your crockpot. Wash, sprinkle liberally with Mrs. Dash Seasoning, and place it in crock pot. Cook on high for 2 hours, then on medium or low (depending on how hot your crock pot gets on low) and continue cooking for another 4-6 hours until tender.( Salt, onion powder, etc. can be added if desired) Bettye/Arizona

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Ann, had an email from Andrea and she will be sending me the forst cookbook. Thanks a lot.
    RL`

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just can't begin to tell you how touched I have been by all the help you have given us with this cookbook. I have been so saddened to read that so many of you have lost loved ones and family members to this terrible disease. By sharing these wonderful recipes, you are helping to keep their memory alive. Please, keep the recipes coming!!! I will certainly let you know when the cookbooks are available. Last year, most everyone on my Christmas list got a cookbook. That will probably be the case again this year! God bless you all....Ann

• vagardengirl
    17 years ago

Cream Cheese Brunch Cake

½ cup butter, softened
    2/3 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1 3/4 cups flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 ½ cups buttermilk or sour milk
    2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh)
    1 egg
    Grated zest of one orange

Beat the ½ cup of butter and 2/3 cup of sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
    Add one egg and beat well.
    Whisk together to mix the 1 3/4 cup of flour, baking soda, and salt.
    Add to the creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
    Mix well after each addition.
    Remember to scrape down the bowl.
    Pour batter into a greased and floured 9 inch cake pan.
    Beat the cream cheese in a medium bowl until fluffy.
    Add the orange zest, 3/4 cup sugar, tablespoon of butter, tablespoon of flour, lemon juice and egg to this mixture.
    Pour over the batter.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the cake tests done.
    Cool. Cut into squares.

In loving memory of my cousin Gail, who left us at age 44.
    Karen from VA

• grams33
    17 years ago

Recipe for:
    Stuff
    1# ground beef
    1 or2 large potatoes-shredded
    1/4 head of cabbage-shredded
    2 shredded carrots
    1 meduim onion
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    6or8 slices of cheese.
    pat about3/4 of hamburger(uncooked) in bottom of frying pan-(I use electric frying pan)Put veggies in in layers. Crumble rest of hamburger on top. Spread soup over all and put cheese slices on top. Start on meduim heat or 325 degrees tun down after it gets heated through. Cook about 20 minutes moree on low heat or until done.
    A complete -top of the stove meal

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BTT

• divamydear
    17 years ago

My dad would make this tomato soup for us when we needed a pick me up. this has become my families best comfort food.every time I make it I think of my dad who passed away July 5th 2006 from Mesothelioma.

Gramps tomato soup

1 package of bacon
    2 1/2 cups of onion
    2 1/2 cups of celery
    2 28 oz cans of peeled diced tomatos
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 quart of milk
    salt and pepper

cook in a stockpot
    dice and cook bacon untill crisp. Remove the bacon from the grease(dispose of grease.) Put the onion and the celery in the stockpot once they have cooked untill slightly tender add the bacon back to the pot. stir well. Add the tomatos, again stir well. add the baking soda. This will cause the mix to foam some do not let this worry you. The baking soda will make the tomato less acidic. Add milk and salt and pepper to taste.

This is wonderful paired up with grilled chease sandwiches!

• gellchom
    17 years ago

My Aunt Lil was famous for her elegant cooking. She died of cancer when I was a little girl. Here, in her memory, is one of our favorites of her recipes, very 1950s but still delicious. My mom gave me the recipe card in Aunt Lil's handwriting. She had written "EXCELLENT" at the top, and we agree.
    Good luck with your cookbook!
    Susan in Columbus (Ohio)

Aunt LilÂs Chicken Cantonese

1 fryer-broiler chicken  disjointed, slightly salted
    1/3 cup cornstarch
    1 ½ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons paprika
    ¼ cup cooking oil
    1 #2 can [20 oz.] pineapple chunks (drained - reserve sirup)
    1 cup sliced diagonally celery
    1 medium-size green pepper (cleaned & white membrane removed) cut into thin strips
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    2 ½ Tablespoons soy sauce
    3 cups hot cooked rice

1. Coat chicken pieces with a mixture of the cornstarch, salt & paprika. Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the cornstarch mixture.
    2. Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet. Turn pieces as necessary. When lightly browned remove & place in roaster. Bake, uncovered, at 325° until almost fork Âtender. [40-45 min.]
    3. Add pineapple, celery, and green pepper, slipping them under the chicken. Cover and put back in oven for 15 minutes.
    4. Mix together the reserved 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch mixture, ¼ cup reserved pineapple sirup, the brown sugar, and soy sauce. Pour over chicken & cover; continue baking another 20 minutes.
    5. *Lightly toss the hot cooked rice with 1/3 cup dark seedless raisins & ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts. Serve with rice on bottom of platter, then chicken.
    *Raisins and nuts optional

• bessiedawg
    17 years ago

This recipe was one of my dad's favorites. We lost him to lung cancer six years ago.

Schnitzel

½ cup flour
    ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
    ¼ teaspoon celery salt
    ¼ teaspoon paprika
    ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    1 egg- slightly beaten
    ½ cup milk
    2 pork cutlets
    1-tablespoon oil

Stir together flour, garlic salt, celery salt, paprika, seasoned salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. In another shallow dish, stir together egg and milk.

In a large skillet, heat cooking oil. Coat each cutlet with flour mixture, and then dip in egg mixture and again into flour mixture. Cook in hot oil over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until browned on both sides and meat is no longer pink.

Sour Cream Dill Sauce

1-¼ cups chicken broth
    ½ cup sour cream
    2 tablespoons flour
    ½ teaspoon dill weed

After preparing cutlets, remove meat from skillet and keep warm. Put chicken broth into the skillet used for cooking the cutlets; over medium heat, scrape up brown bits in skillet. Bring to boil. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, flour and dill weed. Stir into broth. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Serve over cutlets.

Linda in Indiana

• ann_in_florida
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You have all been so much help with this project. I will be sure to let you know when the cookbooks are available fro purchase. I believe that we had the first ones set up so you could even pay through Paypal. I want to bump this up again, in case some people might still want to help. Thanks....from the bottom of my heart.

• divamydear
    17 years ago

Back to the top.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Ann, I just received the first edition of the cookbook. Looks like it will be a welcome addition to my collection.
    Will read thru it tonite. Thanks for your help.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here is an old old favorite and the only way my son would eat carrots when he was a kiddo:
    Sunshine Carrots
    5 med carrots,scraped and sliced
    1T sugar
    1 tsp cornstarch
    1/4tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground ginger
    1/4c orange juice
    2T butter
    Cook carrots until tender and drain. While carrots are cooking combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and ginger in a small saucepan. Add juice and cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Boil one minute and add butter.
    Pour over hot carrots and toss to coat.
    Serves 4

• klflorida
    17 years ago

for this post not to explode.

Women supporting women!

• mdgardengurl
    17 years ago

Here's a recipe I came up with that has become a favorite of my friends and family. It is very healthy and so easy to prepare because it requires no measuring! A box of pasta, a bag of spinach, a jar of tomatoes, a small can of olives...And it makes a couple pieces of chicken stretch to feed a lot of people. Even if you haven't yet cooked the chicken, this meal is ready within 30 minutes max, and it's absolutely delicious!

1 lb. mini Penne Pasta
    1 large bag of fresh spinach
    1 8-oz. jar Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil (with or without added herbs)
    2 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts, grilled or fried
    1 small can sliced Black or Calamata Olives
    2-3 Cloves Garlic (or to taste)
    Extra Virgin Olive oil

Cook pasta, drain and put back into pot. Keep on low heat and add spinach and enough olive oil to prevent sticking and cook till spinach wilts. While spinach is wilting, cut up the grilled chicken and the tomatoes (along with the oil they are packed in), then add to the mixture along with the garlic (which has been chopped up small or put through a garlic press) and the olives. Heat through and serve with a salad. Serves 8 hungry people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Community Garden Website