Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_ks

LOOKING for: Fish recipes

janet_ks
18 years ago

I'm looking to start a diet that calls for a lot of fish and need some low-cal recipes. I like shrimp, crab and scallops and usually order it out, but rarely fix it at home and don't know anything about buying or preparing it. I heard that orange roughy is good. Also, could use a few ideas for chicken breasts. Any ideas or words of wisdom??

Thanks,

Janet

Comments (13)

• danain
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Janet, we eat fish at least once a week and I have many, many good recipes. Here is a good versitle way to make just about any white fish. Pictured is Halibut but I made it last week with cat fish filets and it was wonderful. The main thing when cooking fish is to not over cook it. Usually 10 minutes per vertical inch will do it:

{{gwi:2049398}}

4 6-oz. Halibut (catfish, sole, mahi mahi, tilapia, any white fish) Filets
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
    1 cup fresh, coarse bread crumbs
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 garlic clove; finely minced (or t. powder)
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly butter or spray a shallow baking dish with Pam. Wash filets under cold water and pat dry. Place in baking dish and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper; drizzle with a little olive oil.

Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the filets. Bake 10 minutes per vertical inch of fish. To test, place a metal skewer of fork in the center and immediately place it on your tongue. If it feels warm, remove fish from oven. Fish should also appear opaque. Serve immediately with lemon or lime wedges.

My favorite way to cook shrimp is grilled:

{{gwi:2049399}}

Combine in a bowl;

1 1/2 pounds cleaned shrimp (large or small) (I like the frozen E-Z peel)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    2 cloves garlic; minced
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    a squeeze of lime or lemon juice
    dash fresh ground pepper
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Allow to marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes but no more than 2 hours (if you over marinate it the lime juice will begin to "cook" the shrimp). If shrimp are large enough, place on skewers. If shrimp are small use a grill tray or fish rack. Pre-heat grill to very hot. Add shrimp mixture; cook until shrimp turn pink, two to four minutes. Do not over cook!

And Salmon, well I love it all ways but this is a favorite:

{{gwi:2049400}}

2 fresh Roma tomatoes
    2 scallions (green onion) sliced
    1/2 bell pepper (any color); chopped
    1 clove garlic; minced (optional)
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    a good squeeze of fresh lime juice
    sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    2 large basil leaves; chopped or torn or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
    1 teaspoon capers (optional)

Combine ingredients and allow flavors to blend (an hour if you have time) at room temperature. Serve at room temperature over herb crusted pan seared salmon or any fresh grilled or sautéed fish of your choice. Two to four servings.
    Also good with cucumber added.

*This is a wonderful, fresh flavor that is especially nice during the summer months but great if you can get fresh ingredients all year long.

For Salmon; season with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Place fish skin side up in a hot, skillet with a little olive oil. Sear fish for about 5 minutes, turn and lower heat to medium low until fish test done...10 minutes total cooking time per 1 vertical inch fish. Serve immediately with salsa.

Marilyn

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

SPICY SHRIMP SPAGHETTI (serves 4)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 lb shrimp, shelled & deveined
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tsp Cajun seafood seasoning
    16 oz can tomatoes, undrained & diced
    Salt & pepper to taste
    1 tsp dried basil
    8 oz spaghetti, cooked
    1 small can black olives, drained
    Freshly grated Parmesan

Place the olive oil in a skillet & heat. Add the shrimp, onion, garlic & 1 tsp of the Cajun seasoning. Saute until the shrimp is pink (won't take long at all.) Remove the shrimp & onion with a slotted spoon & set aside.
    Add the tomatoes, remaining Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper & basil to the juices in the pan. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat & simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Return the shrimp to the pan & cook 2 minutes. Pour the mixture over the spaghetti & toss well. Garnish w/olives & Parmesan.~~

BAKED FISH WITH TARRAGON WINE SAUCE
    1-2 TBL butter
    1/4 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
    1 small onion, minced
    1 lb light white fish (orange roughy, sole, etc.)
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1 tsp dried tarragon
    Salt & pepper
    Juice of 1/2 lemon

Melt butter in skillet; add muishrooms & onion. Saute 5 minutes or until soft. Spray a 2 qt baking dish with Pam or lightly oil. Arrange fish in dish. Pour wine over top. Sprinkle with tarragon, season with salt & pepper to taste & add lemon juice. Spoon mushroom mixture over the top. Cover with foil & bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.~~

• HanArt
    18 years ago

This is a Cajun soup. Very good!

Redfish Sauce Piquante

1 large onion, chopped
    1 large red bell pepper, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
    3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 pound redfish fillets (you can also use catfish or a similar fish)
    2 cups cooked brown (or white) rice

Wash fish in cold water, cut into bite size pieces.

In a large, heavy saucepan, sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil for 10 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and continue cooking for 30 seconds.

Add chicken stock and Rotel tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add fish and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Serve over rice.

• lindac
    18 years ago

Being really really lazy here....but I have a hunk of salmon filet here.....and I will drizzle it with some Paul Newman ginger lime dressing and stick it briefly on the grill...
    I do have other recipes for fish....but I am making the point that a good fish filet is very very nice just grilled with maybe a bit of lemon and soy sauce or anyone of those bottled stir fry sauces....and couldn't be easier!
    Linda C

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

TOMATO CROWN FISH

1 1/ 2 cups water
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 1/ 2 lbs. cod fillet
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 large tomatoes, sliced 1/ 4 inch thick
    1/ 2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
    2 Tbs. finely chopped onion
    1/ 4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1/ 2 tsp. dried basil
    1 Tbs. olive oil

Combine water and lemon juice. Pour over fish fillets and let stand 30 minutes. Drain fillets. Place fish in a single layer in an oiled baking dish. Season with pepper (and salt, if desired). Place tomato slices on fish and sprinkle with green pepper and onion. Combine bread crumbs, basil and oil, blending well. Spread seasoned crumb mixture evenly over tomatoes. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees 25 minutes or until fish is firm and flakes easily with a fork. Serves 4.

FRESH FISH PICCATA serves 2

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    3/ 4 pound thin (1/ 4 to 3/ 8 inch) slices of filleted fish**
    1 small lemon, peeled and sliced, each slice cut into 8 to 12 pieces
    1/ 8 tsp. salt
    1/ 8 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
    1 1/ 2 tsp. small capers, well rinsed and dried
    2 Tbs. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a skillet, add the fillets and cook over medium-high heat only about 1 minute on each side. Remove to a heated platter

Add the lemon pieces, salt, pepper, and capers to the skillet and when hot, pour over the sauteed fish. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

** - This recipe works best with thin fillets. My favorites are striped bass (not the thick Chilean sea bass), rockfish, red snapper or flounder. Sole or tilapia would also be good prepared this way.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

LindaC, I agree. The last fish I made was tilapia. I drizzled it with some lemon oil that I received in my birthday packages, grilled it, then added some sweet onions and green and red peppers to the grill pan and sauteed them. Yum.

Annie

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    18 years ago

I just bought some tilapia, I do believe I'll try DanaIN's crispy fish tomorrow. Just can't tell the kids I've put in parmesan.

JanetKS, I bought the linked book for Shaun for one of the swaps, since she was in the same boat as you (fishing for information about fish...sorry, couldn't resist). You might want to shoot her an email to see if she likes the book. It is a good way to start to learn the different species, how to buy and prepare them. Very good contemporary and healthful recipes.

Good luck!

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Last night I did any easy baked fish with tilapia: mix equal parts of mayonnaise and sour cream (you could use the low fat versions) with some fresh or dried herbs (I used Jodie's Dippidy Dill mix), a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper; lay fish fillets in a greased baking dish, spread the mayo/sour cream mixture on the top of the fillets, top with a thin layer of bread crumbs and bake at 425 for 10-15 minutes.

I found this web site when looking for ways to cook the Halibut that Doris gave me this weekend.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

I thnk I'll have to have fish for dinner after reading this thread.

Halibut is the fish of choice for me. We live on the West Coast of Canada and Halibut is almost always availabe. I can actually buy it right off a boat at the docks. Nothing better than fresh halibut. I don't follow any particular recipe usually but I have a couple of ways that I like to cook it. The bread crumbs with herbs has been a favourite for years. I like to saute the fresh bread crumbs with a little butter or olive oil and garlic first and then season with parmesan cheese, and some herbs, salt and pepper. Place the

in a oven proof dish, top with the seasoned bread crumbs and either bake as is in a hot oven or add some cherry tomatoes,canned or fresh, Kalamata olives, and fresh chopped basil to the pan. This is one of my husbands favourites.

The other way I like it is to just brush it with a little olive oil that has been seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper and either

it or cook it in a hot oven. Doesn't take long to cook.

Salmon can be done the same way on the grill or in the oven. Some of othe thinner fish like Tilapia or fresh sole, I like to dip it in seasoned flour and saute quickly in melted butter or oil and serve with just

on the side. They can also be breaded and fried and served with just a squeeze of fresh lemon or something like
    . It is wonderful with fish or chicken. Not exactly low cal but a little goes a long way.

Shrimp,

and mussels are easy to cook and are a wonderful addition to pasta. Just make your own fresh tomato sauce seasoned with lots of garlic and fresh basil and toss in a few shrimp or clams and simmer for a very few minutes and serve over your favourite pasta.

If you like spicy you might like this Shrimp recipe.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

=================
    Spicy Prawn Curry

Source: the yummyco.com

This prawn curry tastes great, and is absolutely fantastic because, instead of being based on spices that need hours of cooking, it's made with fresh herbs, which means that it's quick.

For the curry paste:
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin or whole seeds, crushed
    1 teaspoon ground coriander or whole seeds, crushed
    2 or 3 whole fresh green chillies to your taste
    3 large thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
    3 fresh lemongrass stalks, trimmed back & chopped
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    4 handfuls fresh coriander with stalks
    6 salad onions, washed and trimmed
    The zest of 1 lime and juice of 2 limes
    30ml olive oil

For the prawn curry:
    200g fine green beans, trimmed
    200g baby corn
    400ml can coconut milk
    30ml tablespoons light or dark soy sauce
    300g cooked, peeled king prawns, chilled or frozen
    . Method

Throw the all the curry paste ingredients into a food processor and whizz up
    to a fine paste.

In a hot wok or casserole-type pan, pour in a little oil, add the green
    beans and baby corn and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the curry paste and
    coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with soy
    sauce, add the prawns and cook for 1 minute (if using frozen prawns, add
    them 2 minutes before the end of cooking time).

Serve immediately with some light, fluffy rice.

Chefs Tips:

When the curry paste is made, place in an airtight container and cover with
    a little oil. It will last for a month in the fridge or even longer in the
    freezer.

Try smearing a little paste over cod, haddock, monkfish or swordfish - it's
    surprisingly delicate and tasty.

For veggies, replace the prawns with mixed vegetables of your choice.

To turn this into a spicy chicken curry, replace the prawns with 4 cooked
    chicken breasts, shredded or cut into thin strips.

• janet_ks
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh -- so many responses!! I'm overwhelmed, pleased and so grateful. Maybe I will be able to handle a diet with lots of fish in it -- had my doubts for a while but not anymore. Glad to see that some of these recipes have some "kick" to them as I tend to like spicy foods. Theresa -- I could spend three days on that website you provided and still not make a dent in it. By the way, the pictures are wonderful (she says as she wipes the drool from her chin)!!

Many thanks!!
    Janet

• woodie
    18 years ago

One of my favorite ways to do fish is to bake quickly in the top shelf of a very hot oven (cause my broiler doesn't work very well), brushed lightly with a mix of mustard, lemon juice, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and then topped with panko crumbs that have been mixed with softened (not melted) butter or margerine and a little paprika for color. It gets very crisp and nicely browned.

• robinsch
    18 years ago

A very quick and easy scallop or shrimp dinner. Mix some pesto (if it's thick add a little evoo)some fresh lemon juice together and brush on the shrimp or scallops and grill. Every easy and tasty. I usually use skewers. Here's a great grilled buttermilk chicken recipe. The moistest chicken you'll ever have.
    NOTES: Brine the chicken up to 1 day before grilling if using pieces. If boneless breast, I try to brine for at least 4 hours.
    1/2 quart buttermilk
    1/2 cup chopped shallots or vidallia onion
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons kosher salt
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin or other spice of choice
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 chicken cut up
    1. In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, shallots, garlic, salt, sugar, cumin, and pepper.
    2. Rinse chicken thighs and drumsticks and pat dry. Trim off excess fat. Submerge chicken pieces in buttermilk brine. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours, or up to 1 day.
    3. Lift chicken from brine; discard brine. Wipe excess from chicken with paper towels.
    4. Lay chicken pieces on a barbecue grill over medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning frequently, until browned on both sides and no longer pink at the bone (cut to test), 20 to 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

• tresbelle3
    18 years ago

I bought my Mom and Dad a big box of Orange Roughy at
    Christmas time. They had never tried it. They have cooked it a few times and like it but could use a new idea on how to prepare it. Any thoughts?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living